General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 145ish/130/122

Height: 5'4

Question Worrisome Lumps

I was looking in the mirror on Friday and noticed that I had a small lump under my left ear, just behind my jaw. It was about the size of a nickle, hard and a little raised, and not really sensitive to touch unless I pressed against it hard. I was a bit concerned, but imagined it was just a swollen gland, and figured it would dissapear in a couple of days. Since then, I have found two more lumps, arranged in a sort of semi-circular pattern with the other. They are all hard and raised, though the third not as much as the first two. There are no lumps on the right side. Would you suppose this is just a series of glands or lymph nodes, or is it something I should check out with a doctor?

I know this sounds weird, but I don't want to take time off work or class, when the free Student Health Center is open, if these are nothing. I just largely can't afford it right now with midterms and Christmas coming up. Normally, I would just ask my mom as I am a bit of a baby like that, but since I'm out of province at school and can't seem to describe it accurately on the phone, I figured I would ask you ladies (and gents) to see if this is something that I shouldn't let bother me or should take some time off work/school to check this out.

Thanks for your time (and thoughts!!!)

Dani

Last edited by Double_O_Dani; 10-17-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:30 PM   #2  
Domestic Engineer

I would get them checked out even though I *think* they are probably just swollen lymph nodes. A lot of people do have swelling when they are run down or their immune system is compromised. Any other symptoms? Tired, sick?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #3  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Yep, agreed....get it checked out. Better to find out now it is nothing that to know later it is something and possibly too late to do anything about.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/230/145

Height: 5'10

I would get it checked out to give yourself some piece of mind. that way you will know for sure. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Please take this time for yourself

ITA with the others. Don't let these lumps go until after Christmas.

A few hours of missed study time isn't going to make up for the peace of mind you will have after you have them diagnosed. If it's nothing, then your studing will be easier because it will be over. If it is something, then the sooner you start treatment, the better.

I found a lump in my breast a few years ago. I'd had my mammogram and it was clear. I knew a lump that big couldn't appear in 1 month. However, I was at the doctor for my knee and told him about it. He immediately moved on it. He didn't care that my mammy was clear. He did the "dip stick" thing and sent it to the lab. I was getting ready to go cross country and visit my mom. I was not going to let myself get upset about it and ruin my visit.

I returned from my visit and did the follow up with my dr. Turns out it was one of those "jelly sacs" that we all have somewhere in our body. Apparently these things travel around our bodies and are nothing. However, I was informed that we should NEVER ignore these things. While mine wasn't breast cancer, it could have been something else.

Please keep us informed.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

I agree... get them checked out. Likely nothing but if they are something which need attention the sooner the better.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
I returned from my visit and did the follow up with my dr. Turns out it was one of those "jelly sacs" that we all have somewhere in our body. Apparently these things travel around our bodies and are nothing.
Jelly sac?? I've never heard of this...could you explain a little more?
Old 10-23-2006, 04:58 PM   #8  
I wanna be a loser, too

Default That's what my Dr. called them

They're just these little sacs of stuff like jelly. In most cases, they're totally harmless. Sometimes they get hard but will pop on their own.

That's how it was explained to me. Perhaps some of the medical people on here can explain more.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:11 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Default Dani, any word yet?

Have you checked into this?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #10  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Height: 5' 1.5"

Question

Are they rounded or flat? Is it possible that they are some kind of bite, or possibly ringworm?

Old 10-23-2006, 05:50 PM   #11  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

My brother had the EXACT same thing in the exact same place a couple years ago. It turned out to be just a little begnine (sp.) cyst and he had it removed and has had no more problems in that area. I'd go get it checked out ASAP though! Good luck to you!

ETA: I had one on my left hand that was basically the same thing and had it removed last year with no incident . Mine was a ganglion... sounds like you have a Sebaceous cyst... It's a good idea to get it checked soon to make sure it's not infected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebaceous_cyst
Old 10-24-2006, 01:02 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 145ish/130/122

Height: 5'4

Sorry, I had posted an update under a separate thread and hadn't thought to check back here. I did go see a doctor. He agrees they are likely lymph nodes, but just in case, if the swelling does not go down by next monday, we'll book an appointment for an ultrasound. More indepth info is posted under "Worrisome Lumps- An Update." Thank you all again for your thoughts.

PS: in answer to Tisha's question, they're rounded.
Closed Thread