PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #1  

Default I was so impressed!

My daughter, who is twelve, has metabolic syndrome. She has put on 30 lbs in the last year! SHe grew three inches during that year and has just had her first period in September. Her endocrinologist seems to be "just stay the course" she saw the dietician there yesterday and we discussed portion comtrol again and exercise. Here's the thing, she is in a perfoming dance company and dances 6-7 hrs a week plus anything we do on the weekend. We also saw her cardiologist yesterday and he wanted to know why she was not on metformin. (good question?) SO he did it himself! She started with 500mg twice daily. His physician's assistant also mentioned that we need to keep an eye on her for PCOS. I was totally impressed! I have read on this forum how much trouble some of you have had with it. She knows that Rachel is very young, but we need to monitor her while she is young to help her if necessary. They are also putting together some health/fitness/cooking type classes for their kids after Christmas and hope that by having them come together that they can help and support each other and see others who are having some of the same issues that they are. I was just so impressed with them! They are a children's cardiovascular office in the Atlanta area. I want to just use them as our endocrinologist too!
ThinWithin225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #2  
LOSE LOSE LOSE

S/C/G: 323/---/290

Height: 5"5

They sound excellent i wish they did things like that in England , they have changed kids school dinners but that is about it , maybe your dr's need to have a word over the pond.

Good luck to your daughter with everything she sounds like she is doing really well now and your dr's sound like they know what there doing too so she is in the right hands , I have PCOS and only found out this march , i had my suspecions as my sister has it too but i i wasnt diagnosed till march , i am trying for baby no1 and its cause lots of problems for me but i hope they will get rectafied soon and things will improve. I really hope your daughter doesnt have to go through PCOS when she is older but sounds to me with the dr's she has now she will be absolutly fine.

Take care and wish you daughter every luck in the world with any weightloss and all the things she will be doing.

Teresa
treezuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

You're a very good mama to be so on top of it! I was lucky to not experience PCOS symptoms until after high school. I can't imagine dealing with that stuff at her age.
Vanessa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #4  
Pending Email Confirmation

That's really good, I should imagine easier to learn from the start and control as you go along!
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote