Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-28-2006, 07:55 AM   #1  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Question Anyone heard of Bulbus Preserving Pancreatoduodenectomy (BPPD)?

Has anyone here heard of Bulbus Preserving Pancreatoduodenectomy (BPPD)? I was watching a tv show called "I lost it" and this one woman on there had this procedure done? I can't seem to find much about it online?

Thanks!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:17 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Gosh no but thats a mouthfull to say. What did they do to her?
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:31 AM   #3  
~Believe~

She said they "reshaped" her stomach like a banana? I've never heard of this procedure before and there is hardly anything on the net about it..........She did lose weight and didn't have any bad side effects........
Old 09-29-2006, 03:25 PM   #4  
Shar

S/C/G: 280/149/140

just from your description it kinda sounds like it was a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. You can go to obesityhelp.com and look it up there.

~Sharmel
USAFwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFwife View Post
just from your description it kinda sounds like it was a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

~Sharmel
That's the procedure I had, I don't think it's what Sassy is asking about because Pancreatoduodenectomy= resection of the pancreas and the duodenum (first part of the small intestine).. Am guessing that surgery is some sort of malabsorptive procedure but sounds complicated!
Della1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:13 PM   #6  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

HA! You saw that on I Lost It on DiscoveryHealth. I saw it too.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:18 PM   #7  
~Believe~

Thanks Ladies and yes I did see that on Discovery Health!
Old 09-30-2006, 07:15 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

i HAD to go look. here's what i found. the term is pancreaticoduodenectomy - and it refers to taking out large parts [or all of!] the pancreas and the duodenum [the part of the small intesting that attaches to the stomach]. the 'bulbus preserving' refers to keeping the pyloric valve at the bottom of the stomach. in older forms of this operation, the pyloric valve was removed. this newer form keeps it.

and, as we all know, the pyloric valve is responsible for releasing the stomach contents slowly. in gastric bypass, the pyloric valve is removed. in other forms of WLS, like the gastric sleeve, duodenal switch, and lapband, it's not removed.

there are several reasons for this surgery, like chronic pancreatitis and pancreas cancer. in both diseases, weight loss even before the surgery is common, but apparently there are real problems afterwards. why? well, the pancreas makes lots of digestive enzymes. if it's not working right [pancreatitis/cancer] or GONE [like after surgery], it's real hard to digest things, and little is absorbed.

large weight loss - i saw numbers of anywhere from 10 to 40 kg, which amounts to about 20 to close to 90 pounds, and about 4-7% of total body weight.

weight loss due to malnutrition seems to be related to the inability to eat or digest protein. people have been surviving primarily on carbs, and they've had long-term problems. there's been some interest in supplementation, but the jury is still out on that one.

sooooo, it seems as if this isn't really a good idea for weight loss - pancreatitis is serious, and the post-op nutrition issues are severe and medicine isn't quite sure how to cope with them.

here's some reading - some more technical than others. hope this helps!!!

http://www.redorbit.com/news/display...ource=r_health

http://www.joplink.net/prev/200601/01.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:24 AM   #9  
~Believe~

Thanks for the info. I was just curious of what it consisted of because there was no info on the show about it. So thanks.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:08 AM   #10  
Co-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy_Chick View Post
Thanks for the info. I was just curious of what it consisted of because there was no info on the show about it. So thanks.
Yeah, that was kinda weird. The show just said she lost all of this weight by having this "however you say it" surgery which shaped her stomach to the size of a banana. And that was all they said. Huh!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #11  
~Believe~

I know. I was like well, what kind of surgery is that? You would think they could have at least given a brief description or something.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:00 PM   #12  
Co-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy_Chick View Post
I know. I was like well, what kind of surgery is that? You would think they could have at least given a brief description or something.
I know. Especially since the show is called "I Lost It" and so as a viewer I'm interested in knowing HOW they "lost it." So, I found that to be unhelpful and vague.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #13  
~Believe~

Exactly! Most of the time they will tell you how they lost it. Whether it be WW's or Gastric Bypass surgery or counting calories or joining a gym, they usually go into more detail than that!