Old 09-22-2006, 07:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Default Went up on calories, was it a mistake?!!

Hi,

I posted a while ago about wondering if it was unusual to need to eat less than 1300 calories per day in order to maintain. Several people suggested that I go up slowly on my calories and see what happened. Well, previously I was eating around 1150-1300 calories per day, and I've increased to 1250-1500 calories per day over the last couple of weeks (average probably 1300-1350), and I've consistently gained 0.1-0.2 pounds per day.

I really wanted to eat what is considered a healthy amount of calories. I'm not hungry, and I feel like I'm eating enough, but the numbers seem to counteract that thought. Would people recommend that I go back down, or do you think the scale might stop moving up...soon?

I'm still exercising (high impact aerobics) for 45 minutes to an hour 4 days per week.

Thanks for any help you can provide! All comments welcome.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:02 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

What types of calories did you add? Are you drinking plenty of water?
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

I don't eat any junk food, so it was all healthy protein, carbs, or veggies. Water is my only beverage.

Last edited by Tara D; 09-22-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:48 AM   #4  
Calorie Counter

hmmm, it may just be your body getting used to the extras. If it was me, I could be wrong on this, but I would stay with the higher calories, if you gain 2 pounds or more then I would cut back. Most people have told me that during your maintaining period if you gain 2 pounds then you should cut back on calories/increase exercise. But it seems to me that the body will fluctuate that much anyway in any month. Try not to be so set on what the scale says. You have done a great job! There is a section here for maintainers, maybe you should jump overthere and ask their input. They may have better advice/helpful hints at helping you maintain. Good luck and let me know how you are doing.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I agree you can't really be sure this is real "gaining" until it continues for several weeks and hits at least a couple lbs. But if you do find that you are really gaining at this low a calorie range, especially with exercise, you might want to get your thyroid checked. Everyone's metabolism is a little different, but this seems unusually slow.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #6  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

You might benefit from trying to raise your metabolic rate by strength training... Then you can eat more calories to maintain.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:41 PM   #7  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

I second the strength training-this small of a gain could just be water retention, but extra activity can't hurt
I input your stats in a bmr calculator, and for your height and weight your basal metabolic rate is around 1300 calories per day. It would be a little more with your activity level, but not by too much. The only way to increase your metabolism is by exercise and building muscle. Have you had your body fat percentage read? Even thin people can have a high body fat percentage, and it takes more energy/fuel (calories) to maintain muscle mass than it does fat mass, so the more muscle we have, the more calories we need to maintain our weight.
My weight loss has been SO much faster since I started strength training. If you don't belong to a gym, try a pilates video for home. I just started doing pilates at the suggestion of another member of 3FC, and it is a GREAT workout and seems to be just as good of a strength exercise as what I'm lifting at the gym.
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 298/230/150

I think that I can't eat more calories and lose weight. I'm not sure but I think some people just have to eat less than normal calories to lose weight. I only eat 1500 calories and when it's higher than that I gain weight. I'm going to try to go down to 1300 and some days make it higher to 1500. I have been stuck and even joined the gym and the scale still isn't moving. Any suggestions?
kittiebabyh is offline   Reply With Quote