Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-21-2006, 08:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 111/95/90 (kg)

Height: 5ft 6in

Unhappy I feel desperate

I started my 'weight loss' journey a week ago, I dont know how much I weigh but I guess its around the 250lb mark - Im too chicken to go on the scales.
I have been really good, cutting down on fat and bad carbs and eating lots of fruit and veg, and drinking water. I have also been walking for an hour every day and doing yoga every couple of days. I feel I have more energy and thought I feel slimmer but when Ive gone on to try my wedding dress on this morning it still doesnt fit
My wedding is 2 months away and I dont think I am going to fit in it.
I am feeling really desperate and want to jack it all in, wedding, diet and everything
I really need some support right now
kalijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You simply HAVE to give yourself more than a "week" to fit into something. A healthy rate of weight loss is 1/2 to 2 pound per WEEK. If you are losing weight in a healthy manner, you are not going to drop a clothing size in a week. You CAN, however, drop a clothing size in two months if you are consistent with what you are doing. How snug is your wedding dress??? Is it just "tight" or a size too small?

Honestly, if it is WAY too small-you should call someone who does alterations though-because you cannot lose 2-3 clothing sizes in that time frame.

What you have to remember, is that you did not gain 20, 30, or 50 pounds in a week-and you are NOT going to lose it in a week, either. It doesn't work that way.

Keep doing what you are doing-but get your dress situation under control NOW. Do not wait until a week before the wedding, and panic because of a dress that does not fit. Get it taken care of with alterations or exchange the size or something so that it DOES fit. (I am a costume maker and a dancer by profession...and have much experience with alterations.)
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 187/169/140

Height: 5'7

kalijack,it has only been a week, don't beat yourself up.You have taken a very good first step in the weight loss life. Have you cut your calorie intake at all? If you cut your calorie intake by 500 it will help alot,but don't go to low. I made the mistake of only taking in 700 cal per day and while I lost weight I ended up platuing for a few weeks. I now eat 1200 per day and jog a mile 3 times a week and walk 5 miles 3 times a week. Give yourself a little more time. There are alot of excellent people here with great advice, keep your chin up!!Congrats on taking the first step!!
Jessica
wannabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:39 AM   #4  
No description available.

Kalijack, you have received some great advice. Keep going with your new lifestyle, but make sure your changes are not too extreme. Are they changes you can keep doing forever? If not, you might want to rethink your plan, because that is the trick to keeping the weight off forever.

Come up with ways to fix the dress situation that are not totally reliant on you dropping a certain amount of weight. I agree with April. See a seamstress. Exchange the dress. Find a way that YOU feel beautiful now, cause planning weddings are stressful enough...

Oh, and congrats on your upcoming wedding!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:09 PM   #5  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

You have gotten some great advice. There are so many stresses when getting ready for a wedding you will find even more closer to the wedding.
#1 thing you need to give yourself TIME! I know everyone wants a quick fix when it comes to weight loss. The idea of dieting and exercise is scary for a lot of us. If it is a quick fix you want and your dress is a size or two smaller then go exchange it or find a seemstrees. BUT, I think if your dress fit you when you bought it and it is just a couple inches to go before you zip it then work out and watch your diet close cut out 500 calories per day, stay away from soda (even diet). Go to Fitday.com and put in everything you eat in an average day, then you will have an idea of what your calorie goal should be. Drink a ton of water I gage it by 64 oz perday plus 8 oz for each 25 pounds overweight that you are. I drink 80-100 oz per day. At first you will pee like crazy but once your body gets used to the water it will slow down.
I wish you so much luck. Stay with it and give yourself time!! I know you have 2 months to get into that dress, but weight loss takes time.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:18 PM   #6  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

I say bite the bullet and get your booty on a scale. It difficult to impossible to track your progress without it. Week to week it will either reassure you that your doing things right or it will give you the much needed info if your not. I really think avoiding the scale will leave you spinning your wheels. Nothing is all that bad...Once its over, its over and you move forward. (speaking from experience) I avoided the scale for 6 years and won the prize of 40 lbs in the process. No Bueno.
Stevi-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

how tight is your wedding dress? I am getting married in 2 months as well. I bought my wedding dress tight and within a month, it was no longer tight. My goal is to have a loose wedding dress so that is what I'm trying to go for now. Get yourself on a scale, get yourself exercising and continue with your eating habits. Have you ever seen the show buff brides? It is amazing what one can do if they work their booty off and eat right for a couple months.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #8  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Hi!

Congrats on the upcoming marriage, first off that's awesome!

Second.. I understand it's important to you to fit into your wedding dress. It's your special day, and you want to look the best you can.

You have started out in the right direction, but you will need time before you see your clothes loosen up. The good news is, you said you have two months. That's quite a bit of time, so you can do it!

IF you cannot face the scale - I know it's hard - I am also a scale avoider up until a few months ago. I heard Oprah talking about weight loss one day (as she does now and then) and she said "Own the number.. only then can you move forward". That was what got me on the scale. No looking back.

But if you can't do it, hey.. that's okay, why don't you get a measuring tape out, and use that instead? Measure your waist, hips, arms, legs, chest. Write it down. Over 2 months you should see some difference if you work at it!

Best to you! and you'll have a great wedding, I know it

~ Angie
Abbeycat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 111/95/90 (kg)

Height: 5ft 6in

Thanks for all the advice & support ((((hugs)))) Im feeling a lot better now
I did manage to brave the scales, and was pleasantly surprised - Im 6kg lighter than I thought
I bought the dress online, and according to the measurements on the site it should fit me, but I cant do the zip up.
My friend is a seamstress and has offered to fix it for me, but I'd rather lose the inches, Ive got 2 months, so lets see...
I have lost weight before, only to pile it back on. I think all my life my weight has been yo-yoing
kalijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #10  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

I think most of us have yo-yoed, honey; that's why we're here! You are definitely in the right place for support; this place has been a lifesaver for me over the past year or so. *hugs*

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote