General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:51 PM   #1  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Question For Those Who Have Quit Smoking...

My fiance is trying to quit smoking tomorrow for the first time, cold turkey, no patches or pills or anything like that...he has been smoking for around 5-7 years or so, so not that long but he always used to argue with me when I asked him to quit, but were hoping to move out REALLY soon and most places are non-smoking which means he'd have to go outside to smoke, which he doesnt like the idea of and he realizes that it is easily costing him over $100 every month right now, which is an expense we could do without once were on our own. So I really want to try and help him, I realize he is going to be extremely crabby and Im going to try my hardest to be supportive and not take it personally when he gets that way, but I was wondering if anyone who has quit smoking before can give me some advice on what might help him??? Thanks.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/165/120

Height: 5'2"

Just be there for him, keep him accountable.

What really helped me was gum...and, I know this sounds weird, but I drank everything through a straw for a really long time. I guess it sort of imitated the feel of a cigarette in my mouth a little...I dunno. But it actually helped.

If he gets crabby, just shut him up with a quick kiss or something. It won't last forever.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #3  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

This might sound weird but when I quit smoking I used to take a pen and pretend it was a cig and take a big inhale and exhale like I would if it was a cigarette. I think the deep breathing really helped to calm me down during my cravings and mimic smoking. I know it is weird but it did help. I wish your boyfriend the best of luck. He wont regret quitting.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:04 PM   #4  

I'd suggest just keep out of his way for 2-3 days! Failing that don't take things personally. If he fails don't beat him up about it. It took me 7 trys before i did it and then it was with gum. Its REALLY hard to give it up! Because I'd tried so many times I knew I just had to get through 3 days then it got easier. Sometimes though I still crave one and it was a few years ago now that I gave up.

So I suppose I'm saying just understand that it is really hard. Bit of sympathy and a packet of nicotine gum can go a long way!
Old 09-11-2006, 12:16 PM   #5  

My brother in law used to keep a cinnamon stick in his mouth/hand.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #6  

I quit smoking cold turkey 4 years ago. My husband just quit this year using the Smoke Away system.
The biggest thing I can tell you: LEAVE HIM ALONE. DO NOT nag; DO NOT question about him smoking; DO NOT harp about little things that is or isn't doing for you or around the house or whatever. Do encourage him to talk about what stresses him out; Do talk about alternate ways of coping; Do be there and be supportive.
But overall, don't nag about little things; don't nag about him needing to stay quit; don't remind of how bad smoking is; don't complain about whatever... basically talk about whatever he brings up.... just don't say anything that will stress him out.
The first few days will be **** for both of you. It will gradually get better over the next few weeks. Don't take anything he says or does personally. He will be irritable, he will get pissed off easy, he may not want to be around you, he may not want to talk to you or may say nasty things. If this happens, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU. ANd you'd do good to remember it.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #7  
hara hachi bu

I smoked for years and didn't become an awful hag when I quit. I just knew that I was going to have cravings, and the less "power" I gave them the better. For me, getting out and walking was helpful. I was able to take deep breaths and get fresh air, and burn off a little nervous energy that normally would have been spent on smoking.

Good luck to him! I'm glad to see you guys are finally able to get your own place! Yay, congrats.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I quite cold turkey in 2001. Hubby "quit" at the same time...cost prohibitive. I'd say smoking is cost prohibitive when you're charging them on a credit card. Blech. Hubby never really quit though. He would bum smokes at work and buy a pack every now and then. But we got back on our feet after a rough spell and I never picked up the habit again. He smoked less than I did anyway (less than a pack a day) so it wasn't a huge cost for him to continue.

Best I could do was to never be around smoke. So he started smoking outside. Since he couldn't give it up, the least he could do was be a bit accomodating to me since I was working so hard at it. I also kept lots of gum on hand. And I vowed to never even dare take a puff off someone's smoke, no matter how bad I started wanting it. Instead, I'd have to walk away.

Do things together to keep him busy, keep his mind occupied. But keep him away from areas where there is going to be smoke. IE: Go to the movies and not to the bars.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #9  

Smoking is THE hardest addiction to quit! So take it that he will relapse a few times before the final goodbye! I have known people in my clinic trying about 25-30 times. Its hard but not impossible. I think medical help always works in preventing these relapses. They use a medicine called Bupropione. It will help him not lose his concentration, stay focused and not feel down when he tries to quit. It a great medicine. Psychotherapy also is a great tool to help him through this. (I know it sounds intensive but quitting smoking should be taken more seriously than it usually is as we all know the number one way to increase your life by 10 years is "not smoking" in this day and age.

what you can do:
1. be there for him and let him know that verbally again and again.
2. Keep motivating him even if he relapses.
3. ask him to exercise and eat well.
4. read self help books with him.
5. Keep him away from tempting environments: friends who smoke/pubs.
6. be a 24 hour helpline for him (ask him to call u if he feels like smoking just that "one" cigarette.
7. Keep all cigarettes/cigars out of his reach.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:56 AM   #10  

DH just quit this past July and everyone is right...you just have to remain mindful that any moodiness is not about you.

I quit 2 1/2 years ago now, cold turkey, and one thing that helped me was to brush my teeth if the urge to smoke seemed to overwhelming for deep breathing to help. The brushing put something in my mouth...helped to work through the 30 second craving (because cravings only last about that long)...and having the freshness kept me from wanting the taste of the cigarette.

Good luck to him and just be patient.
Closed Thread