Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #1  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Default Is anyone

here just trying to eat less food and not worry about following a diet plan? More like what I would call normal eating and just trying to get fruits and vegis in each day? Is it working for you? I need to eliminate most sugar from my diet as I am insulin resistant but I do not want to go on another diet plan. All I think about is what I cannot have instead of all the great stuff I can have. So I am thinking that if I just eat regular foods and try to cut the sugar and white flour products down considerably I might actually lose some weight and not feel deprived. Any input is appreciated.
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Having read Glory's story, I bought Superfoods Rx. I'm calorie counting and using as many superfoods as I can for those calories. After doing without the garbage for a while, I'm really craving the good stuff.

Look over in the whole foods forum. There's also an intuitive eating thread you might want to look it. It's huge and rather cumbersome at this point, I think, but there's some good information about the process (not diet) at the beginning of the thread in the first several pages.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateful View Post
Having read Glory's story, I bought Superfoods Rx. I'm calorie counting and using as many superfoods as I can for those calories.
That is exactly what I did, too! And I introduced Superfoods to my MIL and her SIL and they're both doing it, too! Healthy, whole foods are the way to go. I just keep reading more and more that support this healthy lifestyle change.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
That is exactly what I did, too! And I introduced Superfoods to my MIL and her SIL and they're both doing it, too! Healthy, whole foods are the way to go. I just keep reading more and more that support this healthy lifestyle change.
You have made great progress! We are the same height. I'm hopeful to be able to report similar progress sometime soon.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #5  

i was going to suggest the same book. another interesting author who's written lots of articles is DR. mark hayman i think his book is Ultrametabolism. he writes a lot about eating whole unprocessed foods.

like you bunna i can't bear to go on another diet. i started eating mainly whole foods, fruits, veggies, lean meat, whole grains etc. very little to no processed stuff. about 3 weeks ago. i'm not counting calories just trusting myself to eat until i am full. i have lost 4lbs so far. i don't feel deprived, my skin is getting a healthy glow. i am really happy with it so far. the best part is i know i can more than likely eat like this for a lifetime. good luck!!
justjodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #6  
something witty

I think your plan (or lack of plan ) is a great idea. It's what I currently do, and it keeps me from obsessing too much. The more I think about food, the more I'll eat. It's working well and my weight has been healthy and stable for some time now.

To avoid having to make too many choices when I'm hungry, I take a few minutes to think of a few healthy meals I can have in a given week. Then I buy the ingredients and I don't really have to think about it for another week.
linki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/138/120

Height: 5'5

linki, I think you are right! Since I have been calorie counting and dieting I have been eating so much! I cant stop thinking about food. I think I am gonna stop and just eat normally. Sweets once in a while and eat when I am hungry. ? I am tired of thinking about food
Sherice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:02 PM   #8  
something witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherice View Post
linki, I think you are right! Since I have been calorie counting and dieting I have been eating so much! I cant stop thinking about food. I think I am gonna stop and just eat normally. Sweets once in a while and eat when I am hungry. ? I am tired of thinking about food
Good for you!
linki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:12 AM   #9  

Oh,my goodness,yes!Calorie counting worked for a while,but I don't want to live my whole life like that.If only one could get lessons on how to eat like a normal person and never worry again!
Zapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:28 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 148/115/119

Height: 5'3"

How to RE-Learn how to eat like a normal person lessons here:

http://www.nourishingconnections.com...uned_tools.htm

I calorie counted for 5 months and hit a plateau...gained and lost same 5lbs over and over...Ive dropped 2 lbs in past week doing this, and its really helping me re-learn my old skinny habits....stupid stuff I USED to do naturally...like DONT EAT ANYTHING until you are stuffed or eat when you are not physically hungry, not even celery...its a binge eaters mentality. Start getting comfortable with throwing food away when you dont want it. Eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full. Eat what you want, no food is truly BAD, it all serves its purpose in some way. Slow down and pay attention to your body and your appetite and take time to truly enjoy your meal. Stuff like that..may sound silly to some, but has been the best thing I have ever learned through this whole "diet" thing. It works on the precept that A. everyone has a "natural" weight that their body will return to if allowed to do so (not everyone is a size 4, but nobody is a size XL). B. Dieting can cause food obsession and helps teach the mind poor eating habits (i.e. "I cant wait to get off this diet so I can have ______ again." Or: "I ate a cookie and ruined my diet, so I may as well go eat 20 cookies because its blown for the day anyhow" Or: "Im going to have a slice of pizza....its the last pizza I will EVER have again in my life...Id better eat as much as I can") Here is some additional info:

Honor Your Hunger—Eat Only When Physically Hungry

Keep your body fed biologically with adequate energy, otherwise, you can trigger a primal drive to overeat. When you reach the point of excessive hunger, all intentions of moderation are gone. You will overeat (eating to a stuffed/full sensation.).

Eat only when physically hungry because any food that goes into your body when you are not hungry will get stored. IF you have any doubts about whether you are hungry or not, you probably aren’t! True hunger is unmistakable.

If you are not able to gauge your degree of hunger at first, this rule of thumb can help you get back on the normal hunger track: Go no longer than 5 waking hours without eating, then assess your hunger level. (Your liver’s energy tank runs out of “gas” in about 3-6 hours).

Assess Your Hunger Level

The hunger scale is a way to describe your level of hunger, by describing it you become more conscious and better able to assess your hunger and need for food. You can lose weight and never gain it back, if you eat only when you’re physically hungry (a 3 on the hunger scale) and only eat until you are satisfied (5 on the hunger scale). If you often eat until you are uncomfortably stuffed you will gain weight, especially when your physical activity is limited.

0 – So hungry that you are not hungry
1 – Headache, shaky, too hungry to care what or how much you eat—you WILL overeat
2 – Losing concentration, grumpy—seriously hungry – your stomach is empty, you must eat now
3 – I’m hungry, stomach growling
4 – Not hungry, but not satisfied
5 – Satisfied, comfortable, not hungry
6 – In slight discomfort, you feel the food
7 – Uncomfortable – sleepy, sluggish, you want to change into loser clothes
8 – “I ate too much – I am stuffed” Very uncomfortable, stomach hurts
9 – Overly stuffed
10 – In pain. Thanksgiving Dinner – take a nap

Assess Your Level of Fullness

Listen for the body signals that tell you, you are no longer hungry. Observe the signs that show you’re comfortably full…not stuffed. Stop when you’re halfway through your meal and ask yourself what your current fullness is. To control your weight under any circumstance you must develop good eating habits. The key to good eating habits is being able to eat when you are hungry and continue eating until you are satisfied and not a bite more. It is being able to choose food you like and consume it without the fear of weight gain. Regular eating habits distinguish good eating habits. For most people this means eating three meals a day and including snacks to satisfy hunger. Good eating habits should be regulated by internal signals of hunger, appetite and fullness. The goal is to eat when you are hungry and stop when you are satisfied.

Healthy Eating Reminders

• Remind yourself constantly that NO food will make you fat, as long as it is eaten in moderation, moderation means eating when you are hungry and stopping before you are uncomfortably full

• Eat a variety of foods, eat a little of everything you are served. A wide variety of foods are essential for a balanced diet. Just as no one food will make you fat (eaten in moderation), no one food contains all the nutrients you need for a well balanced diet.

• Don’t feel obligated to clean your plate by eating every crumb.

• When you habitually clean your plate, your eating style goes on autopilot—you eat until completion, until your food is gone. You may certainly be aware that you are engaged in the act of eating, we find that somewhere between bites one and one hundred there is a significant level of unconsciousness

• Pause in the middle of a meal or snack. Are you still hungry? Do you feel unsatisfied, or is your hunger going away and you are beginning to feel satisfied?

• Satisfying your hunger means that you are no longer hungry—you have eaten the right amount of food to fill your stomach and take away any feelings of hunger

• Overeating means that you have overfilled your stomach—your waistband feels tighter, your fat cells are anxiously awaiting that extra serving of poogie bait, snack food, lasagna or extra bites of pizza.

• Resign immediately from the CLEAN PLATE CLUB! You can always eat again whenever you are hungry. Remember it is better WASTED than WAISTED.

• Cope with your emotions without food, don’t use food to bury your feelings. An emotional eater learns early on that food is a great way to cope. Here are some reasons why you may eat other than for physical hunger:

Boredom Procrastination Anxiety
Grief Frustration Stress
Rage Depression Anger
Habit Social Soothing
Button_ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:16 AM   #11  

Height: 5'-2"

Bunna, how are things going with you?
Great advice from the ladies here...

Button_ewe, that is such a great link! I'm going to put it in our "link thread", if that's okay with you. Thank you!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #12  
Detangler

that's a really useful link, button_ewe. thanks!

Meg
_knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #13  
I'm a loser, baby!

S/C/G: 314/198/155

Height: 5'10"

I tried this, but I need stability. If I don't have the stability, I will most likely fail. That's why I like Weight Watchers!
pgray1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #14  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

We follow loosely the South Beach Diet plan. Of course we don't think of it as a diet. we just think now that we are eating better.

1. we only eat whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat bread, quiona, old fashioned oats etc).
2. no white sugar no white rice no white potatoes
3. no trans fats
4. i pretty much make all our foods from scratch--rarely do we have fast food and when we do we make good choices.
5. we did NOT give up caffeine
6. we do not count calories or measure portions
7. milk is 1% yogurt is fat free no sugar added
8. cheese has to be below 6% fat per serving
9. beverage of choice is water or homemade tea
10. beans are eaten quite often
11. veggies are unlimited but must have a MINIMUM of 4.5 including breakfast (we have V8 for breakfast)
12. 2-3 fruits per day 2-3 whole grains per day (or low GI starches such as sweet potatoes) 2-3 milks per day.

I have to admit that we don't strictly observe SBD at this point because we are still losing weight rapidly and very content... but I did add exercise. and we do have a lot to lose.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 203/203/140

Height: 5'2

I don't see myself as on a diet. I refer to it as a lifestyle change. Just making better choices. Eating when I am actually hungry, not chowing on fast food, no soda, lots of veggies. I really just started but I have lost some weight on it and I feel sooooo much better. I went from drinking 2 liters of soda a day and eating fast food everyday to cutting out that stuff. I have more energy, I am in a better mood, I am less stressed, my stomach does not hurt.
TakingOff60 is offline   Reply With Quote