Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #1  
Can't wait 2 be a goddess

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Default Does it ever just hit you like a brick

My goodness i got up this morning thought i was doing ok but damn i get to work and it hit me like a ton of bricks DEPRESSION everything is getting to me i dont know where or why this happened whats up with me i have been doing great but its taking everything i have to not run to the bathroom to cry?

sorry i was just wondering does it happen to anyone else??
and what the **** can i do to snap out of it
707Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Yep.

After about 30 years, I know why. My depression is exacerbated by hormone imbalances. I've diagnosed myself with "estrogen dominance" (google it) and use progesterone cream. I feel a lot better, have experienced fewer or flater mood swings, and am generally happier since starting.

Of course, I also take Wellbutrin which helps a lot.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #3  

Exclamation

Yeah, babe. It hits me hard sometimes too. All I can do is think about my family, and the future, and try to think brighter. Try, that is the thing. Some days just suck, and short of a miracle- there is nothing that's gonna change it. I try to draw and let that absorb some of my emotional mess. It helps in my case, so maybe a creative outlet could help you.
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Depression gets me to the point where I can do the bare minimum and that's all I can do. I know logically my life is fine, but I also feel like a ton of bricks are on my shoulder and simple things are hard.

Tips that may or may not help:

1. Get outside (sun) for a while. Dark, gloomy indoor spaces make your mood worse. Seeing nature as God intended it, feeling breeze, having sunlight infuse you, etc helps many people. They even make lamps for people with seasonal depressions.

2. Make a list of things that need to be done. Look and re-evaluate it into absolutely needs to be done list. Then don't set a time frame on it (not today). Keep the list and check it off. I see myself more productively when I see a checked off list (even if it got done 2 weeks from when I made it) than if I had just gone through it half hazzardly. Also this excercise helps you focus on doing only the necessary and focuses on what you CAN do so you can work on you and not focus on what you CAN'T do.

3. Stop, take deep breaths. Focus on breathing. Many meditations use this for stress relief. I also say the Serenity Prayer when things get hard for me "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, give me the power to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." I say it like a mantra. YOu can develop your own.

4. Lean on friends and family. I get my support from others. They can see things in me (positively) that I can't.

5. Find something outside the house to do (get moving) that is relaxing and all about spending time with yourself. I go to a book store, shop, etc.

6. Write your feelings in your journal (so you can identify triggers as time progresses). It doesn't have to be long. Mostly a list of what you did, how much you slept, what you ate, what enviromental factors are happening and how you feel/reacted. I do it in fitday.

7. See your doctor. You may need a prescription change (assuming you are being treated).

8. Remember that this too will pass. Just keep telling yourself it will be over eventually. Breathe!
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:34 PM   #5  
Can't wait 2 be a goddess

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Default Thank You

Aqua thank you i needed a hug.............

Deafinly thank you i already started on my list im going to buy a new are rug for the living room shampoo my couches and maybe re arrange the whole thing it's already helping

Kateful one for you also i was taking welbutrin but i got off of it 6 months ago im not a person who belives in meds and i think it made me worse because i was ashamed i was taking them i do all right but those days come and well today was one

as for the walk i did it on my lunch i went outside and its sunny and windy and it did cheer me right up

thank you ladies
707Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707Goddess
Aqua thank you i needed a hug.............

Deafinly thank you i already started on my list im going to buy a new are rug for the living room shampoo my couches and maybe re arrange the whole thing it's already helping

Kateful one for you also i was taking welbutrin but i got off of it 6 months ago im not a person who belives in meds and i think it made me worse because i was ashamed i was taking them i do all right but those days come and well today was one

as for the walk i did it on my lunch i went outside and its sunny and windy and it did cheer me right up

thank you ladies
Depression is a disease. I can no more control my depression without medication than a child can control his Type 1 diabetes without insulin. To suggest otherwise is ignorant (ill informed), imo. It would be irresponsible of me to pretend that taking a walk or breathing (without medication) would cure me. If it would, I wouldn't be depressed, I'd be having a bad day. Big difference.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:50 PM   #7  
I need buddies on MSN. D:

S/C/G: 240/159.5/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateful
Depression is a disease. I can no more control my depression without medication than a child can control his Type 1 diabetes without insulin. To suggest otherwise is ignorant (ill informed), imo. It would be irresponsible of me to pretend that taking a walk or breathing (without medication) would cure me. If it would, I wouldn't be depressed, I'd be having a bad day. Big difference.
Different things work for different people. Some people think they can't do anything about their depression, just like I thought that. I was wrong.
snuggle is offline   Reply With Quote