Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-24-2006, 09:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default Carbs, Food pyramids, motivation and me

(sigh) I'm not sure how to word this question, nor do i really know where to put it, but here goes. I have no idea what my ticker says or if it's even there anymore since it's been a long time since I've posted anything...

About two or so weeks ago, I moved across my state. Previously to that I got Lyme's disease, which knocked me out as far as working out. Then I ate poorly before moving due to nerves and lack of food in the house, poorly when I got here (we had to visit family shortly after moving and didn't want to purchase perishables), ...now we're here. We have jobs, things are falling into place. Except I still weigh 160. I have for months. I lost 7 lbs the week I was exceptionally sick w/ Lyme's disease, but other than that...so now here I am wanting to set up a game plan to get things moving, but it seems like a foreign language to me. I have no clue where to start.

In the day I did WW and lost a lot of weight with it at a pretty regular clip. Now, I can do it for up to a month w/ no changes at all...then I thought I'd try something else, to keep myself from being burnt out. I checked out Low carb, but almost all the things I "can" eat on some plans I don't like. I understand that trying new things is good and helpful, but yet one cannot alter 90 % ( or so it seems) of thier eating methods... I considered calorie counting,I tried it before, didn't have any success but perhaps didn't give it enough time....

Has anyone just cut back on carbs and had success? I don't mean that you can eat a heap of chocolate and then no bread and expect success... I was checking out the food pyramid to see where my amounts of carbs/protiens/ects stacked up versus the food pyramid.

Has anyone just followed the food pyramid, and nothing else? Just made sure to drink water, exersize adn watch portions, but no counting cals/points? Yes, this is the old school pyramid ( for now) I am not a fan of the new food pyramid as it seems to be too much of a overhaul for me right now. I like meat, I like potatoes. Vegetables I'm still working on...

I find it difficult for me to become motivated when I'm not sure what to do. It's like getting all revved up for a car trip and then realizing that you don't know how to drive, or at best, have no directions.

I feel very overwhelmed. I love my job and do not give in to the sweets there, but it does become a problem when I eat croutons, breads, rice, couscous, wafffles, cereals at home. Most of my food is carbs because it tastes good and it's convenient. I seriously gag when faced with a raw broccolli or cauliflower ( can't stomach it yet), but, well, I have no idea what I'm asking. I sit here while it's beautiful outside,but it seems rather pointless to start walking when I've already messed up the day.

Thank you for hearing me out...

OG
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:06 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

GO WALKING!

Why "punish" yourself by not walking. If you've had a rubbish day, work on some way to salvage it, make it a little better.

You sound a little down in the dumps to me

I've no idea what the food pyramid looks like, I can only begin to wonder I know it wouldn't make much sense to me anyway since I need different things to the average Joe (damn training!!!!).

For starters, I'd recommend baby steps. Today - take a walk. It might mean that you make healthy choices for dinner. Tomorrow, make sure you start eating plenty of fresh fruit. I used to hate veg too - I didn't even like potatoes unless they were fried in oil! However, today's lunch was ram-packed with all sorts of different veggies that used to make me want to hurl! So I'm saying you can change!

Are there any veggies you do like? I used to eat raw carrots - I do love to munch on them mindlessley now and again. How about having them with a hummous dip - or some light sour cream.

With regards to carbs, for a healthy diet I'd recommend trying to eat whole-grain carbs as much as possible, ie wild rice or brown rice, wholemeal pasta, 100% whole wheat bread - I know you guys over there can get whole wheat waffles and such. Couscous is healthy too. Cereals perhaps not so much, but you could try oatmeal - that's a whole-grain and pretty healthy.

In the end you have to find something that works for you, and don't think that it has to be a laborious task - try something, if it doesn't work after 2 weeks, try something else.

There are people around here who do follow the food pyramid, and there are people who don't. As long as it works for them!

Why not try just having a week with a healthy breakfast - then the week after concentrate on having a healthy lunch, then tackle the rest of the day a couple of weeks later. Gradual changes and baby steps are the way to go. I didn't go from carrot-hater to veggie-loving freak overnight. In fact I still don't like tomatoes, but I'm working on that

There's always plenty of support here, and whatever you do, whatever plan you decide to follow - just don't give up!!! So what you ate some chocolate (which IS a carb BTW ) I eat chocolate too and I lost 60lbs! I also eat ice cream and fries and chips - just not every day. In fact I find I'm eating less and less of these things because my tastes are changing and I enjoy eating healthier foods more than fries and ice cream that will leave me feeling sluggish and bloated.

You CAN do this, just take it one step at a time. We're all here for you
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I also loathe raw caulifower and broccoli.

I think the important thing to ask yourself is - what can you do for your lifetime? In that sense, following the food pyramid might be a better option than low carb since whole grains are good for you.

You sound like you're settling into your new place and your new job. Now that you have a routine, maybe you can plan a little more. I can't tell you how much it helps me to plan my meals in advance (2-3 days). I use Fitday, so I know my percentages are balanced. I like always having healthy/meals and snacks on hand so I always have a good choice and I don't get hungry enough to make really bad food decisions (like I used to).

Personally, I would recommend calorie counting, basically weight loss is caused by creating a calorie deficit - either through what you eat or by exercise. You kind of have to find the "sweet spot" start high, gradually reduce until you find a spot where you can still eat enough calories to feel satisfied and get all the nutrition you need and you are still losing weight. For me, it was between 1400-1600 calories a day.

Good luck! I know what it's like to feel overwhelmed with choices.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Thank you both for your kind words....I'm feeling better, although I spent my morning cleaning, and now I have to go to work. My intent is to buy pedometer. Nothing fancy, and see how many steps I can get in, like a challenge to myself

My outlook is improving. I realize that even if I have about 15-20 lbs that I want to lose, I probably notice it more than anyone else, and it is not the end all be all definition of who I am and my worth.

I am kind of torn between food pyramid, calories and points. Points are very tempting because I already have all the information, while calories involves me having to buy a little calorie book ( god forbid! ). I think I will do my best to use the food pyramid as a guide to make sure I've got a fair balance of foods. I know now that I couldn't do low carb for the long haul, there is just too many foods I could not do with out.

Goal one: tomorrow I'm going walking before going to the grocery store. that's the end of it, no whining. I will try to make good choices. I have also come to the conclusion that instead of beating myself up for making bad or poor choices, but to find out why..did I wait too long before eating? In my work I cannot eat mini-meals, but I have started to take healthier snacks. I'm still not sure about those 100 cal packs because unfortunately, they put more than 1 package in the box. It's a way for me to binge and keep \count.
I really like the idea of baby steps. I know that when I do work out, it helps my outlook and makes me more confident to do other things....

I could go on and on and on...but thanks so much!
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:34 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Red face Hope This Helps You

Hi Optical Goddess

I'm not quite sure what you're asking either but...thought I'd share my experience with you & hope the information is helpful to you

I've been on Atkins since April 2004. As you may or may not know, Atkins is a low carb lifestyle. Notice I say lifestyle. ANY eating plan, whether it be Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, etc.,etc.,etc. MUST involve a total lifestyle change to work effectively. Allowing yourself to think of it as a diet that you can go off of after you've reached your goal, just isn't going to work. You must learn new eating habits that you can live with for the rest of your life. Having said that, I began Atkins over 2 years ago. My first step was to go buy the book and sit down & read it from cover to cover so I understood the concept behind this way of eating. Everyone has their opinions concerning Atkins. Most (NOT all) have the misconception that Atkins is unhealthy. They are under the impression Atkins consists of eating huge amounts of bacon, butter & red meats. Unfortunately, the same people making these comments have never taken the time to sit & read the book. Yes, I eat bacon, butter & occasionally, red meats in MODERATION. Mainly, my way of eating consists of salad & veggies everyday. I eat a lot of chicken & fish. I drink plenty of water. I've totally eliminated sugar, caffeine,white rice, potatoes, pasta, bread & white flour. I take vitamins everyday. I've counted CARBS, not calories from Day 1. I exercise moderately. I walk in the evenings for 1 hour every nite. I've lost close to 90 lbs. and have maintained that loss for over a year. I feel wonderful. Will I do this for the rest of my life?....the answer to that is, ABSOLUTELY, DEFINITELY, POSITIVELY!!!

I hope this helps you in finding a plan that works for you. Not all plans are for everyone. The important thing is to find the one that works for you and make it your way of life

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think I try to follow the food pyramid in my eating... rather, I try to eat by what a bunch of people might think is "healthy". I get 20-30% of calories from fat, I have changed to many more whole grain breads and pastas, I eat lots of fruits and veggies and lean meats. But as a calorie counter, I don't eliminate any foods and I like the freedom to tweak my plan as I go along. For instance, these days, I'm trying to get in a little more protein than I used to.

I log all my food online. I use nutridiary. lots of people like fitday. So I didn't have to buy a book. It is a pain sometimes, but I like all the info I get, so I keep doing it. I didn't WANT to do it when I started, but the doc recommended it, so what the heck.

I know there are lots of people here who don't write down eveyrthing, and it works for them. I think no matter what plan you choose, a key is to be aware and conscious of what you're eating. For many of us, mindless eating was part of our problem!

Good luck!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:46 PM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

I am with Kim, choose whatever plan works best for you. I also am on Atkins and am maintaining at 40 -50 carbs a day. I also will "absolutely, definitely, positively" do this for life also.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:46 AM   #8  
mostly harmless

Lyme??? Horrors! Are you completely over it? My husband had it two years ago and seems to have annual relapses. Don't let them get you down. He's been dealing with the relapses by meditating on boosting his immune system, and it seems to be working. Relapses only last about 4 days, so far. Lyme really sucks. You have my sympathy.

As far as diet, I've been calorie counting and trying to hit the Zone diet percentages: 30% fat, 30% protein, and 40% carbohydrates. I don't often hit the 30% protein, which bumps my carbs up- but that's what I aim for and it's working for me. When my percentage of carbs goes up too high, I retain water like crazy and my fingers and toes feel swollen the next day. I'm never going back to the food pyramid percentages. Bletch!

I eat whatever I'm hungry for, that will keep me in my calorie budget. I always eat whole grains when it comes to baked goods. I'm pleased with how it's working so far. I can stick with this for life.
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

hmm... maybe I don't do food pyramid percentages after all... I try for 20-25% protein, 20-30% fat and 50% or so carbs.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I do think you can follow something like the food pyramid and be successful. Especially since the food pyramid is all about portion control and better food choices (including limiting fats).

I do recommend a few tips though.

1. Journal your foods. Even if you don't count your calories, etc...write it down anyway. This can help you see if you are maintaining portion controls and give you an idea what a good day and a bad day looks like and how much of each you are doing.

2. Make a master list of foods. Make a list of every kind of food you can think of that you think would be a healthy part of your diet and place them under each of these food pyramid areas. Even put meal items (not just individual foods). This might help jog your memory of things you ARE willing to eat instead of focusing on things you hate (broccoli). My children are amazed when I ask them to list foods too. They didn't realize they like as much as they do (instead of saying..eewww..veggies). It also helps when you are in a rut or need grocery ideas to give you a guideline. This list can be added and modified over time.

3. Just because a food fits in the pyramid doesn't mean it is the healthiest alternative. Learn about foods as you go (including calories, carbs, etc even if you don't log it).

4. Write a list of obstacles you face. Are you an emotional eater? Do you eat on the go? Do you hate to cook? Do you struggle to drink water? Are you a chocoholic? Think and write down strategies for each of your obstacles. Find healthier alternatives. I even have alternatives to chocolate. Creamsavers (hard candy) makes a good carmel and chocolate flavored hard candy. Gum is also my new best friend. This excercise was someone else's idea on 3FC but it totally works!

5. Plug into a support system either here or locally.

6. Don't be afraid to change tactics when your plan isn't working (not to say it won't work, just don't stick to it out of stubborness). Every dieter hits plateaus, but some plans work for different folks. Find what works for YOU!
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote