General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #1  

Default Experience with sedation dentistry?

Has anyone here ever tried sedation dentristry???

I am going to make a dentist appointment, and I refuse to do anything but sedation if I'm actually going to follow-through with the appointment.
I have no clue what to expect.

I haven't been to a dentist since I was maybe 15...so about 10 years ago. I refused to go because it ALWAYS hurt, for as long as I can remember-the dentist hurt. I told my mom, and FINALLY she confirmed that the dentist we had did HURT that it was his technique and she has went to others and had much better experiences.
However, the thought of seeing ANY dentist makes me panic...I'm scarred for life I think. But I HAVE TO GO!! I can't put it off any longer... I have a much greater fear of losing my teeth (which I have no real basis for at this point). I need a good cleaning, my gums need to be taken care of (very inflamed), and I have wisdom teeth that need to come out. I understand that most all of this can be taken care of in one sitting with sedation....
But I'm still afraid to even make the appointment...
I feel crazy!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #2  

I had a bad experience with the dentist when I was a kid, too. Mainly it was I had a couple of cavities and my dad never used novicane so I didn't either I'll never forget that pain.

I have found a wonderful dentist who I've seen for 15 years. If he needs to drill, he'll put a numbing solution on my gum and THEN will administer the shot of novicane. So no pain.

For my wisdom teeth, I had to go to an oral surgeon and since he gassed me I can't remember anything about it

If you're worried, how about going in for just a consultation appointment. I do know that there are some dentists who specialize in pain management.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #3  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

I had an impacted wisdom tooth removed a few years ago while under conscience sedation. I was TERRIFIED! I tried to put it off, delay, procrastinate, etc.... But the PAIN got me moving!

It was a breeze! NO pain and NO problems!
It was over with before I realized it! I would not hesitate to undergo conscience sedation again if it was indicated.

Good luck and best wishes on your procedure!
Old 07-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #4  
Life's Short, Paint Naked

S/C/G: 226/tkr/150

Height: 5'4

I have had conscious sedation (The pill) twice and I highly recommend it. I have a serious anxiety about the dentist- touching the teeth with metal, not having any control, (I'm sweating now just thinking of it!!) and of course fear of pain. With sedation, I don't even remember going to the dentist. (They can lower the dosage to just take the edge off, but I needed to be fully out of it to let them continue.)
Old 07-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #5  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

My actual fears were of the needles, so I had a lot of work done when I was younger with no novicane. Until one time the dentist said there was no way I would be able to handle this particular pain. He put some numbing stuff on my gums, did some silly sort of flapping on my cheek to distract me and it was done before I knew what happened.

Since that time I've only had to have major work done once and I was gassed for that one. It really left me with no worries. He kept testing me before he started because he knew my anxiety level was through the roof. I was firmly in "la la land" before he started and never knew what hit me! That was the way to go.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:25 PM   #6  

I recently had an extraction with sedation and let me tell you this : I didnt feel a thing!!!! I couldnt even feel that anything was happening while I wasnt totally knocked out! Yeah, It was funny but great and it felt like 2 minutes (1 hour in reality). I couldnt feel anything for next 2-3 hours but after that I took vicadin which made me sleep again for next 3-4 hours. then I took penicillin and motrin 4 tabs every 4 hours!

I also need to have my 4 wisdom teeth removed and I am choosing sedation this time too!

Just make sure to ask someone to drive you back home after the procedure coz you may not be fully awake to drive.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Too much/Still too much/130

Height: 5'4"

I am also a dentist chicken. I really need to go but can't even think about it. I was sedated, actually knocked out once. I was pretty useless the rest of the day, but was not aware of anything going on in my mouth. I would do it again but it was expensive which is why I am not going to do it again soon. Novicane does not work well on me, it is apparently the only thing that I metabolize quickly. My fear is the drill, not needles. I can't believe that they can remove gall bladders with lasers but they still use medieval drills for teeth.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

I have had it with nitrous oxide. I was totally carefree! However, do NOT try to drive afterward no matter what they tell you. Supposedly the oxygen they give you wears it off. On me it does NOT!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
I have had it with nitrous oxide. I was totally carefree! However, do NOT try to drive afterward no matter what they tell you. Supposedly the oxygen they give you wears it off. On me it does NOT!
I second that... I had my wisdom teeth out (I was awake- ) and was given nitrous oxide. I then proceeded to pass out in the pharmacy line at Safeway. I don't want to know what would've happened if I had been driving.

EDIT: I didn't mean to scare you with the . I honestly didn't feel a thing, but it was really weird to be awake for that. I can give CPR to a dead guy, set a dislocated shoulder and butterfly a forehead that's been completely split open, but teeth.... I can't do it.
Closed Thread