NO fast food
loads of veggies
loads of fruits
no pasta
no rice
no white bread
using fitday to track faithfully

my questions are

1.DH according to the online calculators can have over 2000 cals a day-since he is eating so much healthier its like hes eating all day
this week [m-s] he averaged 1830 calories
can i cut it more?
he hasnt lost anything yet and i was sure he would just from cutting out the approx 6 coca-colas he used to drink a day

2.are fruit/vegtable carbs bad?
we seem to have a real high carb intake daily but about 75% [at least] are from fresh fruits and veggies

any help anyone could give us would be so appreciated
i want to live another 60 years with my family and we need a change NOW

thanks!
txctva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:34 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

My suggestion: carbs are NOT evil--processed, refined carbs are the bad ones. You can still have rice, just choose brown rice or wild rice because they are whole-grain. You can still have pasta if you choose a whole-wheat (or other whole-grain) pasta instead of plain white pasta. You said no white bread, so are you buying other types of bread instead? If so, be sure to choose breads where the first ingredient listed is "whole-grain" flour..."enriched" wheat flour will give you wheat bread, but it's whole-wheat bread you need in order to get the whole grains.

My next suggestion: give it more than a week Maybe your husband ate something yesterday higher in sodium than usual, and it is causing him to retain water, which will show a higher weight on the scale even though he hasn't really gained any fat. Have you guys been exercising more? Any strength training? Those types of exercise could also cause a bit of water retention in the muscles.

Give it more than a week...he hasn't gained any weight, right? So waiting another week won't hurt anything. How did you do this week with all these changes?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #3  

thanks so much for the response

we have been eating wheat bread with extra fiber added and low carb wheat tortilla wraps

just bought some wheat pasta and brown rice yesterday

and using our morning cereal as an added source of fiber also.

i have actually lost about 4lbs this week [also that TOM so im sure most of that was just water weight]

weve gone out walking every other night for about 1/2 hr[not nearly enough i know]

DH is going to start going to the gym next week.

wish us luck!

im sure ill have more questions and i would love to support everyone in their sucesses and hard work.
txctva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:33 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by txctva
weve gone out walking every other night for about 1/2 hr[not nearly enough i know]
That's plenty to start with--better than nothing, right? And you guys can increase the intensity, frequency, or time as you become more fit. Sounds like you're off to a great start, and congrats on the -4 (no matter what it's from, even, water--it always feels good to see the scale go down ).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:52 PM   #5  
Susan hockeyfan7

I also get a lot of my carbs from fruit and veggies. I'm allergic to whole grains so I don't have any of that stuff. But it's the calories that really count and fruits/veggies are low in calories compared to what you could be eating.

Even 30 minutes of moderate exercise has health benefits for your body. You don't want to jump in heavy and overdo it -- you'd either end up hurting yourself or making yourself so sore you'll quit. Add 5 minutes a day or even 5 minutes a week if you can't do more.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote