Old 06-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #1  
Lifetime Loser

Question Question about exercise

I am doing the WTPO dvd, the one mile at the moment and I have noticed that everytime I do the exercise the next morning I am up .5 lb.???? I did read somewhere once that exercise makes the muscels hold water??? Does anyone know if that is correct, I will be back down that .5 tomorrow but it is interesting that this happens each time.

Thanks, Phyllis
floridarusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:27 AM   #2  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

From my experience, yes, exercise does just that, and it makes sense to me. When you exercise (even aerobic) some muscle tissue is going to be damaged and need to be repaired- and the "repair parts" come via interstitial fluid (i.e water).

I don't let the small flunctuations bother me. My "weight" is the last consistant low weight I've had (I never eat my maintenance cals, even on looser days). If it goes up 1/2 or 1 pound for a day or two then back down I don't sweat it, that's just my body's "tide". As long as the trend is downward, I'm happy.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Because of all of the little fluctuations...this is why I only weigh in once a week.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #4  
Lifetime Loser

I hate to say that I do weigh every a.m. but I don't panic over the daily fluctuations and I do my main WI on Sunday or Monday. I was just curious as to the exercise and water connection.

Thanks, Phyllis
floridarusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/249/150

Height: 5' 7

i am new to exercising as a regiment.. so my body is slowly getting into shape.. .. i have been trying to do the WATP 2 mi video 5 x a week... and i also see a gain alot but eventually it comes down a bit.. should i limit my exercise to 3-4 x a week to give my new to exercise body a chance to recover?? I just want so bad to be thinner and in shape.... Thanks..Kim
slimkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

No-there is no reason to cut out a day's workout that you are already accustomed to doing, just because of water fluctuations in your body. Keeping your workouts at 5x a week rather than dropping it down to 3 or 4 is the best.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #7  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

I think weighing in once a month on a planned day is best. Remember that a journey takes time and you are going in the right direction. I remember one week I ate a few pickles in a salad and was up three pounds the next day, I freaked!!! Then I realized how tight my rings were and it was sodium...
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #8  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

I know lifting makes your muscles swell/retain water so that can be a cause for that. As well, if you are drinking water while working out that can cause you to put on a few ounces (it's the water! ), I always weigh more right after a work out. That, or I am dehydrated if I don't.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:12 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've weighed myself before working out and right after working out and I've had a weight gain up to 5 lbs. I don't know what my body is doing but sure, whatever it wants as long as I know it is water
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote