Old 06-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Cool Is there something wrong with tomatoes?

Hi all! I've been following a basic calorie counting diet and sticking with as many whole foods as possible. I am taking a lot of my inspiration from Glory87 (THANKS!) and went out and got the SuperFoods Rx books. I made myself a spreadsheet of the foods and quantities so I can glance at it daily and make up my list of foods to eat! I had lost most of my weight from January to April with a lot of exercise, but now I'm working full time and having a hard time getting the exercise in (but that's another story).

My DH has finally decided that he needs to drop a few pounds, too (he does!) and he has requested more salads for dinner. What a help!

My DD has joined a gym with her best friend and they work out together and they also signed up for a weekly personal trainer who allowed them to split the cost (they're only 15 and 16). That was nice of him. But here's the weird part--he won't allow them to eat tomatoes. I verified that he said tomatoes and not potatoes. Potatoes I can see, but tomatoes? Does anyone have any idea why he would restrict tomatoes? Most of his other suggestions seem valid and he does draw on a lot of superfoods, but my DD has this teenage thing going on where she'll listen to a total stranger but not her mother, so I can't get her to eat some of the things on the superfoods list because they are not on her list. Any ideas?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:09 PM   #2  

No clue!!

Tomatoes are sooooo good for you, especially raw. Yes, they do contain a little bit of natural sugar, but so does almost every other kind of produce - I'd really question that advice, and want to know the validity of whatever his claims are!!

No one ever got fat eating tomatoes!
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:16 PM   #3  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Tomatoes are loaded with antioxidents, plus vitamin C and lycopene. The trainer may be into macrobiotics, which goes beyond nutrition into eastern philosophy. http://vegweb.com/articles/monique-1003689568.shtml

Sure not my cup o' green tea, but some swear by it.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #4  

Thanks, Gardenwife! I bet that is the answer!!! My DD's friend has had numerous kidney infections and has had to follow a macrobiotic diet for most of the year--so the trainer probably has both of them following this! Thank you so much for the information!
Old 06-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #5  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

I've know people that would have no idea what macrobiotics is but swear they won't eat them because they are part of the belladonna/ nightshade family.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #6  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

After looking around a bit more I also found a number of references to anecdotal case histories that link the removal of tomatoes to an improvement in arthritis. It was mentioned that there were no scientific studies to back it up. Also that tomatoes are considered one of the more likely allergen foods along with milk and wheat.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #7  
Howie6267's Honey

I get canker sores if I eat too many of them...But I still love them and eat them in moderation. Good thing, because I have eight or nine plants of heirloom varieties growing in our veggie garden!
Old 06-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #8  
Susan hockeyfan7

I would never take nutritional advice of any kind from a personal trainer. The majority of them have no certification in it and have never studied it.

I love tomatoes. I eat at least 1 whole one a day and probably more. They are low calorie, have lots of nutrients and some good healthy fiber too.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:19 PM   #9  

I love the tomatoes, too, as does my DD. She pleaded with the trainer, and he will allow her to eat them, but only at lunch.

Gardenwife, too many tomatoes cause canker sores because of the acidity in them--just like citrus fruits. My DS loves tomatoes, too, but they ALWAYS give him canker sores!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:22 PM   #10  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

??? I love tomatoes! There is no way I could give up tomatoes! I think I would just have to be fat forever instead of giving up my precious tomatoes!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:10 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree with hockeyfan on this one...a personal trainer (and by this I mean a GOOD one...they are not all created equal) can give fitness advice...but they are usually not trained in nutrition. They tend to preach what worked for them-which is nice, but not always what works for everyone else.

A nutritionist or dietician is trained in nutrition...and other than allergies, stomach issues (ulcers or other things that make eating acidic foods troublesome) or religious reasons...I see no reason to avoid tomatoes.

Just my opinion...
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 250/249/150

Height: 5' 7

hey maybe that is why my son keeps getting cold sores in his mouth.. he eats alot of toatoes and salsa and hot sauce... you think>>?? kim
slimkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:01 PM   #13  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

I used to get pretty nasty skin rashes from tomatoes or tomotato-based products (esp. spaghetti sauce) when I was a kid. I do a better job at keeping food in my mouth and not my face now so not sure if I have the same reaction, have never noticed any digestive issues with tomatoes, but yeah, the acid, ouch!
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:09 PM   #14  
Howie6267's Honey

I get mouth ulcers (canker sores) if I have too many oranges or strawberries, too -- sure it is the acid common to them all. I bought 3 pounds of fresh strawberries this week, so I'll probably get 'em for a day or two. I don't care though! LOL
Old 06-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #15  

My oldest son used to love to eat tomatoes raw, like an apple, but it always made his face break out around his mouth from the acid. I've never had a problem with tomatoes or strawberries or oranges giving me canker sores, but walnuts and pecans do. I never eat them. I LOVE tomatoes, but all 3 of my kids hate them, even the son who used to love them won't touch them now. sigh. I have to agree with the other ladies that a personal trainer is great to get advice on exercise from, but not necessarily food choices.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With Quote