Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-18-2006, 11:44 PM   #1  
Shar

S/C/G: 280/149/140

Default Having some issues (long)

Okay has anyone else had a thiamine insufficancy? They are saying this is now why I vomit out of no where, without warning... or much warning... but I'm keeping what I eat/drink down, it's just frothy saliva (sorry, TMI). But now I'm starting to do it after I DO drink water, or take my liquid pain meds too. While I was in the hospital they blamed it on the moraphine I was on, now it's lack of thiamine... so I'm getting shots of it for 3 days to help. But if this doesn't work, then what are they gonna blame it on? I can't live like this with a bucket next to me for the rest of my life.
Also... I'm having a real hard time getting in enough liquids and protein. I know I'm still early in, and just started stage 2 diet on Wednesday... but still. Today I feel parched, but I just can't seem to get enough water (supposed to be 6 cups of liquid a day, 3 of which should be protein) or protein shakes in... HELP
I can eat the scrambled eggs with melted cheese, and I'm doing the cream based soups made with milk, so do these count as protein liquids too?? I'm a bit confused.
My in home care nurse says I'm healing nicely. My incision itches like crazy so I guess she's right. I'm supposed to have the J tube (feeding tube) and my stiches taken out on Tuesday... and then have steri-strips put on the incision.. (I'm allergic to them, so their gonna use something else called bio-clusive, but basically the same thing) I'm walking, but I don't feel like it's enough. I feel like I lay in the recliner (the only place I"m comfortable) most of the day... and I feel useless.

The positive note. I've lost 35 lbs and tonight I put on a shirt I bought last year and it still had the tag on it b/c it never fit right... it was too tight over my tummy and breasts, and tonight, I have room all over... so I guess it's working slowly but surely.

I did ask my surgeon about having the entire thing reversed. He told me I would have to wait until about 3-4 months out b/c then everything would be less inflamed and I would have less chance of 'leaks' at all the reconnects. But if I'm still having so many issues that he would consider it. He's hoping that I will be pleased with where I am at that point that it will no longer be an option for me, we'll see.

Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers.... and yeah, I know I have a great DH.. He's taking such good care of me, it's surprising. He's still working 1/2 days so that he can come home early to be with me just in case I need anything.. I'm lucky and I've been telling him so.

Again thanks, and thanks in advance for listening to me rant.
Hugs,
Sharmel
USAFwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hey Sharmel

I've never experienced what you are going through but I wanted to give you a big ol hug and kiss and to say I hope things get better for you fast!!! Congrats on the weight loss AND the new shirt fitting whooot !!!! You've come along way and yes you sure do have a good DH

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:18 AM   #3  
Angela

S/C/G: 275/260/150?

Shar,

You know I'm new to this, so all of this stuff sounds Greek to me. I'm just wishing you a speedy recovery. I can't imagine going through what you went through and still WANTING the surgery. I bet after a short amount of time, you will feel better and start to feel like you made the right decision - despite the excessive trouble you've gone through. I do know that a Thiamin deficiency can cause the vomiting - as well as Morphene... the weird thing is that they are PRACTICING medicine... they will get it figured out. I'll keep you in my prayers.
CJsPrincess816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

sharmel - i'm going to have to check this one out. in most people, if they're throwing up saliva and liquids, they have a blockage [i had one - NOT PRETTY!!!!!] but since you're keeping food down - the scrambled eggs and protein shakes - obviously, there's no blockage. BUT, it also sounds as if something might be irritating your pouch sometime after you eat. and that's what i don't understand.

my suggestion: sip sip sip water constantly. you desperately need it for hydration. we dehydrate so quickly, all of us, and i suspect you need a bit extra water because you're still healing.

anything with a milk based counts as liquid and into your protein as well BUT, take a GOOD LOOK at the labels of the 'cream' soups. most of them are made with flour as a thickener, and they have LOTS of carbs. as a rule, if we consume more than 15 grams of carbs in one sitting, we're at HIGH RISK of dumping syndrome [which is different than things getting stuck].

and dumping can also irritate your poor overly-surgeried tummy here. and you'll feel like SH___

are you doing well on the scrambled eggs? i couldn't eat them for nearly two years without tossing them.

i'd suggest making custards out of eggs and millk. add a little fake sweetener and bake. easy on the tummy, and very very few carbs. it might work better than the cream soups.

go ahead and run these ideas past your doc. i just have a feeling that the cream soups are related to this - too many carbs, not enough protein, and not enough plain liquids.

i know you're struggling, darlin. but please give yourself a chance to heal and to live with this awhile before making a decision to reverse it. not only do you want to wait until you're completely healed, but you also don't want to regain what you've lost.

chin up! we love you.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 277/221/150

I just began regular foods yesterday after having a fill a few days ago. I am having trouble keeping my food down as well. I tried to have some scrambled eggs this morning and It was very painful and then came right up. Im not familiar with the j tube you mentioned so I was kinda curious what surgery you recieved. I hope everything gets better. Keep us posted!
Lauderdalechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:22 PM   #6  

I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time. I'm 4 years post op and still can't drink milk or have any milk products. I can have some half and half in my coffee but that's about it. Anything more then that and I'm sicker then a dog.

I hope you feel better soon.
Megsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/184.4/146

Height: 5'2"

I had gastric bypass over 10 years ago and scrambled eggs are still a problem for me.
Make sure that when you get to where you eat that you do change to a healthy eating lifestyle. I started gain after about 6 years post-op because I didn't really change my eating behavior. I always loved snacking on stuff.
Now I'm paying for it!
Good luck to you guys!!!! Hang in there!!! It is worth it!!!
exquisitern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble..but hang in there. I'm about 7 1/2 months out and sometimes I throw up that foamy stuff. Yuck ! Mine doesn't come out of nowhere though. Sometimes I eat a few bites and I just know it's coming back up and I won't be able to eat anything else until it does. After that, I can go back and finish whatever I'm eating and it's fine. Go figure. I still can't eat bread or pasta. I can tolerate eggs a little bit. I don't know but it seems that foamy stuff is just collecting in my stomach and when food or water gets in there it has to come up. I just figured it was something I had to live with. Mine is more of a nuisance than anything else...but I didn't have the complications you've had. What the others have said about the carbs is true. You've come so far....what a trooper you are !! Doesn't it feel great to get into something you couldn't wear before ?!?!?!?!
Just know that we're all rootin' for ya from the bottom of our hearts.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote