Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/249/150

Height: 5' 7

Unhappy Trying to stick to this why do I sabotage myself?

hi everyone.. I started ww at home and I don't know what is wrong with my head.. I have a lot of weight to lose and I had just gotten down to 215 in dec now back up to 237... I had my points all accounted for and at dinner instead of stopping I at til stuffed, like as if to say ok I did good so here eat more and keep the scales reading the same if not more... I even did my 2 mile exercise video today and biked 1 mile with my son.. I must not deep down want to lose the weight or soemthing..did any of you have any issues like this.. I know I was fine withing my points and then ate the secong bbq sand and was full but wanted to taste more food... I feel like a pig and uncomfortable now,, hopefully tomorrow will be better.. I remember what it felt like to be skinny and energetic .. I want that again.. how can I get my self on track and stay there?? thank you for listening..Kim
slimkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:44 PM   #2  
Fit chick in hidding

S/C/G: 201/164.4/100 4'11"

Teaching yourself positive thinking is a big part of it, if you always tell yourself that your fat and can't do it that's exactly the orders your body follows. If you tell yourself that you always sabatoge yourself it will do that too .

Try not putting as much on your plate at supper, or if you went back for seconds try putting it away before you start eating. If you put it away first it will be out of sight and cold, that may help you avoid it. Or wrap it up for lunch for the next day so it is no longer an option to eat.

One thing I am slowly learning to do is forgive myself in the middle of what I'm doing and move on. Instead of thinking I ate half a bag of chips I might as well finish it, I now think I ate half a bag of chips that I shouldn't have so why finish it.

I still have some problems walking away from food, but it is getting easier. I have learned that if I cook it I will eat it, so I try not to cook as much food at a time.

I hope this helps a little
LuckySmyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:07 AM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I used to do the exact same thing. Every time I would start taking the weight off, I would think it would give me permission to "pig out". This time, I am more in control of my food, but like anyone, I have slipped up. The biggest difference is, now when I mess up, I think "it's only one meal" and it makes me more determined to get back on track the next day. When I get hungry and know I had enough to eat for the day, sometimes I can stave off the urge for food with hot coffee or hot broth. Good luck and don't beat yourself up, we all have days that we aren't proud of.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:35 AM   #4  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Re-reading your post, this is what I see:

1) you ate within your plan very well for breakfast, lunch and any snacks you were alloted.
2.) You exercised to a 2 mile walking video (you can't tell me this doesn't do a body good!)
3.) Then, you had the gumption to go biking with your son. You have now travelled into the "better than most" exercise category (I am assuming you are in the USA or similarly couch-inclined country, sorry if I assume incorrectly)

vs.

1.) You ate more than intended at dinner.

I've been playing a lot of court sports lately, and I can tell you that 3-1 is a winner, every day. And, though I didn't follow you around all day, I would be very supprised if you didn't burn more calories than you consumed. So, I hereby declare your day a win!

Okay, so I don't have that power, but you do, and I truly hope that you will, because you deserve it. Then, tomorrow, you can try for a blowout, and if you get it, all the better. However, a win is a win, and as long as you are a winner, does the score really matter?

Hmm, I started with war and ended with sports... I might be breathing in too much testosterone at the gym... Anyway, I say: everything you do wrong, remember once; everything you do right, remember twice. Keep a postive focus, keep moving, and you'll get there!
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:57 AM   #5  
Going to ONEderland

Why DO we self sabotage? Sometimes I think it has to do with fear. Change is scarey. Sometimes we have to really examine ourselves to see if we can figure out if there is something we are deep down afraid of.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:52 AM   #6  

I do the same thing!I decided that if I am going to look good I have to STOP!!!Find something to do when you start to lose control,ok?You CAN do it!!!
2CMEAGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 203/146/150

Boy howdy, we ALL want to lose weight like this:
"I'm going to go to bed tonight a fat woman and wake up tomorrow a thin woman and not only THAT, but I'll be able to eat ANYTHING I want, exercise by pumping iron (tablets!), and I'll never be fat again."

In our dreams, babe! In our dreams!

Change is scary, no doubt about it. We often play mind games with ourselves in order to justify NOT changing. Sometimes, it's a case of the "poor me's" and at others, it's "I've been so good I DESERVE..."
Check yourself out in the mirror. Naked. Is this the YOU you want to be? Of course not! I know that. YOU know that. Thing is...you've got these ruts carved out in your life that your new diet is prying you out of. You don't like these ruts, particularly, but they're comfortable, you don't hafta think about 'em, and they're easy.

Welcome to Get OUTTA Your Ruts Bootcamp!

How to climb out of fat rut #1 (the "I'm not losing weight fast enough so I might as well eat off plan anyway"):
> oh yeah, like that's logical! D'oh! Ok, anytime you hear that little voice in the back of your mind, grab a glass of water (or a handful of <insert fave veggie here>) and say this 5 times "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels."

How to torpedo fat rut #2 (the "No diet works for me! I'm just incapable of losing weight"):
> You're special babe, but you ain't THAT special! EVERYONE can lose weight. It takes determination, attitude, and motivation. Next time you hear THAT little tape playing, go look in the mirror and ask yourself who died and made YOU Queen of fat? NOBODY! Go for a walk. Take the stairs. Prove yourself wrong!

How to torpedo fat rut #3 (the "It takes too much time to eat right! And besides, I HATE cooking!"):
> No kidding! How do you think you got fat in the first place? By eating the quick fix (fast food nation!), by going for the box dinner, high salt, calorie-laden, poor nutritional food industry faux-food of the week.
You're WORTH the extra time! You DESERVE to be slim and healthy! Make the kitchen thing fun - play real loud music in there and keep the beat while chopping veggies. Plaster pictures of the skinny clothes you plan on buying all over inside and outside the cupboards. Get RID of any non-plan foods. If you have family members in the house who aren't on your diet, buy healthier foods for them (what..THEY don't deserve to be healthy?).

How to torpedo fat rut #4
(the "I'm just big boned. All my family are big boned. We NEED more <insert cheat food here>.")
> <snicker, chortle, wheeze, snort> Sorry Told m'self this one for ages. Now it just makes me laugh! The fact that I can palm a basketball doesn't mean eating a 2 pound chocolate sunday is required for this ability. Reality check - "big boned" is NOT a pass for "eat off plan"

How to torpedo fat rut #5 (the "I'm too tired to exercise, cook, shop, etc.")
> Yeah, riiiiiiiiiight. Ever stop to think WHY you're so tired? Let me help you out. A) You're overweight. B) You're stressed out. C) You think you need 36 hour days. D) You take care of everyone else BEFORE yourself. Wot's WRONG with this picture?? Sit down with your schedule and carve out YOU time. It's not only critical to your physical health but to your MENTAL mindset. There is NOTHING WRONG with taking care of yourself.

How to torpedo fat rut #6 (the "Poor lil deprived me! I DESERVE <insert cheat food here> and cannot be expected to give it up forever!")
> Get yourself back to your book and review it. Many old favorite foods return in healthier forms after you reach goal. Think of the early stages of the plan as DEFERRING your fave food. And babe, if the food you're missing is truly now forever forbidden think of it this way. THAT fave food of yours helped make you fat. Do you REALLY think you need more of it??

No one gets out of life alive. We're ALL on a limited timeline here. WHY would you devote a precious finite commodity (YOUR time) to 50-60 or 80 hour work weeks??? I mean...really. You can't take money with you. So why are you stealing time from yourself and your family and giving it away at work??
Name ONE person who - on their deathbed said, "I shouldda spent MORE time at the office!"

Pamper yourself. Be kind to yourself. You DESERVE it! When you well and happy, your FAMILY is well and happy (if they know what's good for them heh heh). Take an aromatherapy bath. Get a pedicure. Rent a comedy and laugh out loud (it not only releases endorphins, but laughing burns fat!).

Last of all, give yourself permission to be human (aka: NOT perfect). Dust yourself off, look yourself in the mirror and make this promise: I'm going to lose this weight because I DESERVE it!

Now go make it happen.
csoar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #8  
300+ Chick

Dear Kim... I sure can relate from your post..I am my own sabotage and keeping ruin things when I am on plan. It is a vicious cycle. What I have learned from reading Dr. Phil weight loss book, is that I am convinced that I have fear of a change. That part is puzzled me. One week I do good and see a loss, then the next, Bam! have gained it all back. I have fears in my life and never thought changing my lifestyle would effect my mind. Had lost weight in the past and I know I can do it. Hang in there and hoping you will find the link of what is holding you back with your weight loss efforts..Good luck!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #9  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Hi, Kim. YES, I've been there, done that. I think it's true that I get feeling that I want to eat the food and not be deprived -- an old emotional reaction that comes from the kid in me, and that comes from eating for non-hunger reasons. I get those doubts sometimes too that I won't be able to do it (lose all the weight). The truth of the matter is I pretty much do eat what I want now. I simply pay more attention to how much and when. And what I want to eat has changed too. That bag of Doritos doesn't tempt me so much when I think of all the work I have to do to get rid of it from my hips!

You've gotten some good advice here already. I thought I'd add that the more that I set up my situation so that I can't go off program, the better I do. Like dishing out the food on the plate, then putting the leftovers away so it's not so easy to take seconds. Or cooking exact amounts (there's two of us here). Just not having a too tempting food in the house, or even if I make it less accessible (out of sight, mostly out of mind!) can make a big difference. Habits aren't changed in a day. Coming to 3fc keeps the goals in my head too.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:13 AM   #10  
Proud Army Mom!

S/C/G: 202/185/165

This is a good reason why I give myself one "free" day each week. I used to be the same way. Now that I have one day each week to eat what I want, it definatly helps keep me on track, and gives me a "reward" for doing good all week. The hard part is getting back on track the next day, which some have said they can't do when I've mentioned this before. If you can get yourself to a point that you can do this, I highly suggest giving yourself one day each week. On Friday morning, I weigh in, then treat myself that day. I don't go over board and eat everything that stands still long enough. But I have a good lunch (burger and fries or pizza or chinese), maybe a candy bar for a snack, then a nice dinner (no seconds!!). I have found that one day out of seven makes absolutely no difference in my weight loss. Doesn't hinder it at all. And it gives me something to look forward to, "I don't want to eat oatmeal anymore!! But! hey, on Friday, I'll have a chili burger if I"m good all week". If I cheat too much during the week, or gain instead of lose that week, then I don't get my "free" day. It works for me.

csoar2004 - ROFL!!! Good advice!!!
mel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 PM   #11  
Freedom awaits us

Default Kim I'm the same way too!

That has to be the number one question "Why do we do this to ourselves", just when you get going and people start to notice and say "Hey your looking great keep it up" we stop and go back to our old ways.

I was reading through some of the other postings and I agree it's got to be that we are scared of the change and I guess the responsibility that might come with being thinner.

Usually we can make excuses for ourselves saying things like can't do this or that, cause it tires me out. Usually we can hide behind our wall of fat and let no one in it's like a safety blanket.

When your thinner people expect you to have more energy and you are able to do all sorts of things.

But, we can't do this anymore....

We must be strong and keep on going mainly I think to be healthy and enjoy more things be able to:

Fit into booths at restaurants
Get in and out of back seats of cars
Fit in the movie theatre seats
Seatbelts are not as tight anymore
Can get down on my knees and floor to play with my little niece & nephew and to get back up without yelling in pain and struggling to hold on to something to help get you up
Go through the turnstiles at the Subway with ease and not having to turn sideways to get through

I could go on but, you get the picture

All the best to everyone.
Elaine1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:09 AM   #12  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I'm glad I don't have to ask someone else to tie my shoes anymore. I don't get out of breath just trying to walk outside to get my mail. I don't stand out in a crowd. I'm on fewer medications now. I can play with my grandson in the yard. These are only a few reasons why I am doing this and will continue to learn how to maintain my weight loss.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote