PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:26 AM   #1  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

Question New here, struggeling with PCO & an ED

Hi!

I really just discovered this part of the forum....I am posting in the Sub- Forum for Binge eaters and people with eating disorders since a few weeks.

And mainly that shows my problem: I am struggeling with an Eating Disorder (Binge eating/ compulsive overeating) since more than 10 years.
Last year I was diagnosed with PCO. Cyst (a **** of a lot!), no cycle for months/ a year, facial hair, loosing hair...
Well, and I am overweight. About 40 pounds (or 38 pounds) to much, most of the fat seems to have a lifelong meeting on my belly.
I had a few test taken (glucose tolerance test for example), but as it came to get the results the doctor just said: "Well, to much Insulin in your blood, no problem, itīs just because you are overweight. lose weight NOW!"
My Gyn didnīt even get the test results from the hospital....but he said all I had to do is to loose 40 pounds and that I should go to Weight watchers. I told him that I have an ED (really diagnozed and all), but he said that couldnīt be true because people with EDs are underweight. So the pressure to lose weight made me gaining 14 pounds (good work, good reaction).

So I am not so fond on visiting the doc again- I know I should....But he is just like "lose weight!" and I am ashamed because I havenīt lost weight....

I was also taking BCP for my PCO. It helped me to get my monthly cycle.

And I think I didnīt get the information right: does PCO causes the overweight or does the overweight causes the PCO? Does "curing" the PCO helps with loosing weight or is loosing weight the cure PCO?

I am sorry, this is a bit long and rambling post....just wanted to describe my situation

Advice, anybody?

Have a nice Sunday,

Kate
Kate109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:53 AM   #2  
with my mind on my monkey

I'm not well-versed in PCOS, but I would definitely suggest you find a new doctor. Yours should address your concerns about your overall well-being (reproductive, mental/emotional & general health) instead of dismissing them.

As you well know, COE is a serious eating disorder, despite what your doctor says... and Weight Watchers is not the cure.
HungryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I also have too much insulin, and PCOS. I was put on Glucophage to help with the insulin problem and also told to lose weight. Like you, I carry most of my extra weight in the belly , which I have heard is normal for this condition. Your doctor sounds like he is not treating the "whole person" and I would find someone that is more sensitive to your needs. I know this is easier said than done. Good luck and best wishes.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:01 AM   #4  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Yes, I agree with the others. If possible find another doctor. He is way off on the assumption that all people with Eating Disorders are underweight. People with Ana yes...people with Bulima or COE or BED are normal weight or overweight usually. Some may be underweight but I believe that is the exception to the rule.

Yikes...

Are you in a support group or going to counseling for your ED?
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #5  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

Thanks for your answers!

I was really willing to go to the Gyn next week- but now I have problems getting an appointment because the doctors are on strike ...Well, Iīll try it again.

I will try my old Gyn (last chance... ) and give him some material about binge eating to read. Most doctors here in Germany have no clue what binge eating is!

irisheyes213, I post in the suppport forum for ED in this forum and sometimes I join OA online meetings. It helps me a lot, so I feel quite good at the moment. I even started to loose some weight!!

A nice evening to all of you,

Kate
Kate109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:50 PM   #6  

Hi, Kate, good to meet you!

I have PCOS with insulin resistance. From what I've read, it seems that the insulin resistance causes weight gain and other symptoms, which in turn cause depression and can lead to even more weight gain and even more insulin resistance. So at the root of it is something that we were born with, but there are a lot of learned behaviors that just make it worse. Trust me, I know about bad habits all too well. But now that I am on Metformin (glucophage), I am starting to lose some weight in combination with good health habits. So getting PCOS treated properly can make a big difference. And what I've been told is that once you get the ball rolling, it gets easier to lose weight down the road.

I wouldn't trust a doctor who didn't understand your other diagnosis. I don't have a diagnosed ED, but I (like probably everyone my size) have some issues with food, and I know that it's a big deal. Good for you for getting help.

I hope we see you around here more... I'm new to this whole PCOS thing, too, and it's really helpful for me to meet other women going through similar things.
Junia is offline   Reply With Quote