Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #1  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

Default Night time Snacking

How do you curb the urge to eat at night? I know that I do it out of habbit, but it's KILLING me!! I eat so good all day! (I'm doing WW so I hit my points target, and I hit all the nutritional targets too.)

But come about 9pm I start snacking. And that wouldn't be a huge deal if I went to bed at a normal time... but I can't seem to fall asleep until 2 or 3... so that entire time I'm usually snacking

I could be reaching into the cabinet saying "Jac, you don't want to do this... you'd rather lose the weight." But that doesn't work at all!
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #2  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtaTJac
How do you curb the urge to eat at night?
I don't.

I just make sure that whatever I eat is counted in with my calories for the day. I eat late at night EVERY night. That was a little 'habit' of mine that I just wasn't willing to give up.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/238/150

Height: 5'3

I have to agree with Linda. Since I'm so used to waking up and munching on something, I make sure now its a little healthy at least. Something like jello or peanut butter crackers.
natascharenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:10 AM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I tend to exercise, then come home at around 9pm and I'm always either too tired or the exercise has curbed my appetite that i just have a little bit. Then I go straight to bed.

You could try a cup of warm milk counted in with your calories, that usually fills me up AND sends me to sleep!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by natascharenee
I have to agree with Linda. Since I'm so used to waking up and munching on something, I make sure now its a little healthy at least. Something like jello or peanut butter crackers.
Exactly. I mean, you don't want to sit there and eat a bag of potato chips (like I used to do ). I usually eat a salad or maybe veggies wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla, things like that.

I tried to get over eating at night, but I couldn't do it. I'd lay there in bed, my stomach growling, until I was compelled to get up and go out to the kitchen and rummage around for food. I can't sleep when I'm hungry. And I found I was doing myself more 'harm' than good by trying to force myself to NOT snack at night because I'd eventually cave anyway and go find something to eat. So I vowed to go ahead and eat at night but make sure that whatever I had was counted in with my calories. I always plan what I'm going to eat. This keeps me from getting back up out of bed and mindlessly eating stuff I shouldn't.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:27 AM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I save some of my food allowances for the day for nighttime eating. I know I will do it, so I plan ahead. I can't go to bed hungry. My husband gets off work at 11:30 pm. and always eats at this time, so I have a snack then too, but stuff that is on my program.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #7  
Starbucks Addict!

Height: 5'4

Im a night time eater also!! I cant stop. So I save a few points for night time. I have to, if not, im starving and I too, cant sleep when im hungry.
purplecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #8  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I make sure there is nothing I really love snacking on available (though I've been known to resort to some pretty yucky stuff when nothing else is available).

My inherent laziness keeps me from going out and getting something (finally, a BENEFIT to being lazy). So for me, empty cupboards works. I can't keep stuff like crackers, chips, melba toast, granola bars, or nuts around. Too tempting...
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

I agree with the other ladies, Jac.
My dietician told me it's okay to snack at night, as long as it's relatively healthy, and you count it into your daily calorie allowance.
I used to go to bed with a big bag of Doritos every night, but that was before I knew it was okay to snack at night.
Now, I often have a bowl of oatmeal before bed. It's cozy, satisfying food.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis
I agree with the other ladies, Jac.
My dietician told me it's okay to snack at night, as long as it's relatively healthy, and you count it into your daily calorie allowance.
I used to go to bed with a big bag of Doritos every night,
Oh my gosh, Doritos, potato chips, you name it, I ate it right before bed. Big bowls of pasta drenched in cream sauce. No, I'm not kidding. I'd make myself CASSEROLES to eat at night. And sit and eat the whole thing. My favorite night time meal was to cook about 10-12 jumbo pasta shells, stuff them with imitation crabmeat, and pour Newburg sauce over the whole thing. And eat it ALL.

And I had the nerve to sit around and wonder why I was so fat
Old 05-09-2006, 12:35 PM   #11  

Height: 5'-2"

Well, heck, Linda, look at how your life has changed! 139!! You are doing SO well, girl!!
(my gosh, those foods sound good. heh heh)
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #12  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Yow. Tonight I'm going to have nightmares about Pasta Crab Newburg chasing me down the street screaming EAT ME, EAT ME!

Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #13  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

I have a late night eating habit too. I don't think it's hurt me too much, except in that a post-dinner snack turns into more and more and more...

Thinks I've found that help: I don't keep ANY snack foods in the house. I keep some at work with me (oatmeal, namely) where I've found it's easier for me to say no (during the daytime helps I guess). But I don't keep any granola bars, crackers, cookies, or anything in the house that I could pick up and that could turn into a binge. I do keep sliced up strawberries and sliced up cucumbers in the house, but binging on either of those is usually not so bad for me I've also found working out in the evenings (after dinner for me, it's one of the most convenient times in my schedule) curbs my appetite because a) the adrenaline and endorphins make me feel good, so I don't need the food and b) I usually feel so good about working out I don't want to go ruin it by eating. Also, try brushing your teeth way in advance of going to bed. All of these help me at least some of the time, and that is a victory for me!
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #14  

Have you tried any of the WW Ice Cream sandwiches or fudgesicles. Sandwiches are 2 Pts ( I think) and fudgesicles are 1 pt. If you like tea, try a cup of nice hot tea with some whole grain toast w/a little bit of Smucker's Natural Reduced Fat PB and a smidge of raspberry jam--not so many points. I love to use up my dairy by mixing some SF/FF hot cocoa with my milk, add 2 tsp. of Hershey's cocoa powder (I LOVE chocolate) and heat up. It's real comfort food for me. I gave up trying not to snack. I'm just tooo hungry when I go to bed if I don't. Good Luck!!
ripples57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #15  
Girl Trying

S/C/G: 5'4" CW: Unknwn 140? STGW: 125

I have to allow myself food at night, too. I toss and turn if my stomach is too empty, and plus the cravings just ATTACK after about 7pm. I also go to bed late, so I have a LONG time to stave it off. I eat little bits throughout the night - I dont eat a "dinner". I count every morsel and make sure it all fits in my calorie allowance.

You can also try drawing or doing puzzles or something to keep your hands (and mind) busy for periods of time... then do some toning exercises to distract yourself and remind yourself what youre working on...

I know it is EXTREMELY difficult, it feels SO GOOD to sit down at night and eat lots of comforting yummies. But we just cant do it, we have to remember our goal and know that every moment, we make a decision to meet it, or to not. And then find something else to do with your hands...
And allow yourself calories for that time period, and stretch them out over the evening.
PeeB is offline   Reply With Quote