Old 05-08-2006, 11:51 PM   #1  
Angie

Talking Inspiration for those of us that need it!

OK, so I was complaining about not being motivated and I remembered along tim ago finding a post by someone that really got me going. So! I searched and I found it again! (almost a year after seeing it the first time

So- I am hope this might inspire someone else as it has me.

Originally Posted by Meg: (who has lost over 100 lbs)

" If there’s anyone who can relate to what you’re saying, it’s probably me. I walked the same road myself back in 2001 and 2002 and experienced all the same feelings that you talk about in your post. You’re not kidding when you say that losing weight is hard work, but I want to tell you that it’s so so worth it. From where you are now, you have a vision of what your life’s going to be like at goal, right? A dream about how you’re going to look and how you’re going to feel?

OK, I want you to step into my skin for today and feel what it’s like to be me. You with me? You see, I used to think it was all about how I’d look when I got to 135 pounds. I never realized that the pay-off is how good I FEEL. So if you can walk around in my (sweaty gym) shoes for one day, I guarantee that nothing in this world will stop you from losing the rest of the weight.

Here we go!

It’s 4:30 AM and I wake up before the alarm, bursting with energy. I need a lot less sleep now than I did 122 pounds ago. I never dreamed that I could feel so good! The first thing that goes through my mind every day is — woo hoo! I did it! I’m not fat anymore! To me now, every morning is Christmas morning; every day is the best day of my life.

I jump out of bed, make coffee, and throw on my gym clothes. That’s a huge change from before, when I was allergic to exercise. I’m at the gym when it opens and do my cardio for the day, listening to music with a great beat. I notice how much faster and more intensely I can go now than when I was heavy and every day I try to do a little more than the day before. That endorphin rush is a great way to start the day — I’m always so jazzed when I walk out of the gym.

Back home to breakfast: oatmeal and chocolate protein powder. The way I eat now and the way I used to eat are like night and day. No more sugar highs and crashes, no more feeling bloated, no more hating myself and feeling controlled by food. I plan my meals for the day and enter them into Fitday.

Then the usual Mom stuff and household stuff. It’s so cool to fly up and down the stairs without having to stop and catch my breath or having my knees and feet hurt. I get my chores done in about half the time it used to take. I love the feeling of being strong just while doing the everyday tasks of life: taking out the trash, carrying the laundry upstairs, hefting the 20# box of kitty litter.

And then the highlight of my day: back to the gym for weights. The gym was the scariest, most alien place in the world for me when I was heavy and now it’s home. I love lifting weights and love the muscles and the look they give me. I used to be afraid to look in the mirrors at the gym (you know how the walls are lined with mirrors) - now I catch a glimpse of myself and marvel at the stranger who’s looking back at me. How could this be me? I spent all my life as the fat girl and now I have toned arms and little hips. I walk out of the gym on , knowing that I've pushed myself to my limits as I worked to build my best body. Lifting weights has taught me that I have strength and endurance and discipline that I never imagined and it carries over to all other aspects of my life. I know that I’m capable of anything that I set my mind to doing.

Let’s stop and do some clothes shopping on the way home, OK? I walk in and bypass the plus sizes and head for all the pretty clothes in the regular sizes. I don’t have to shop for camouflage anymore — no more big T-shirts to hide the butt or long sleeves to cover the jiggle. No more elastic waists or towels strategically covering up my bathing suit. I can look at crop tops and low-rise pants, beautiful (and sexy) lingerie, and tank tops. I see something that I want to try on and look for it in a 4 or a small(which can be hard to find). Now stand in my shoes with me in the dressing room and hold up a pair of jeans in size 4. They’ll never fit, right? They’re WAY too tiny — I used to look at small sizes and think that no one could have a butt small enough to fit in those. But they slide right up over my hips and fit perfectly (no sucking in the gut). The problem with clothes shopping when I was fat was that nothing looked good. The problem now is that too much looks good — hard on the old budget.

Back home, normal life. My dinner’s different from the rest of my family’s but it doesn’t bother me or them a bit. And then to bed, knowing that I physically feel better than I ever have in my life. But more than just how good I feel is the knowledge that I did it! It took me 47 years, but I finally got rid of the fat that weighed down every aspect of my life. There’s no better feeling in the world.

Losing weight — and more importantly — keeping it off is hard work and it’s a job that we’ll have to do for the rest of our lives. It takes sweat, hard work, planning, and self-discipline. You know what to do; like you said, the elements are habit now. But trust me, the pay-off at the end of road is far, far better than you can imagine.

Keep going — you’ve come so far now. When you think about the alternative — going back to being fat and unhappy — really, what choice is there? I guarantee that when you reach your goal (and you will, I’m sure) you’ll agree with me that it was the hardest and, at the same time, the best thing that you ever did in your life."
angelfadedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:59 PM   #2  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Thanks Angie for posting that! I sooooooo needed to read that! Someone needed to kick my *** into gear!!! Thanks!
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

That is amazing! Thank you for posting it. And here I was contemplating whether or not to go to the gym tonight. I will be there!
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #4  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

fab!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #5  
Living the Laguna life...

*smiles* thanks!
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #6  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Meg you rock!-thanks Angie for posting...sometimes I head over to the maintainers forum, just to get some of thier insight!
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:58 PM   #7  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

love it! thanks
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:41 AM   #8  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Thanks angie, that certainly is a very inspirational post!
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:28 AM   #9  
Run Forest Run!

Wow - what a motivator!
bone idle is offline   Reply With Quote