Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-07-2006, 07:23 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Question Help! Question about increased inches with diet and exercise???

I don't know where to go with this post, but I am hoping someone can help me here!
I have measured myself for the first time in a while and initially I was very pleased having lost 4.5 inches over all! But now I am questioning why some areas of my body are a little larger than they were with first measurements.

My fore arms are larger~left arm is .5 inch larger and right arm is .75 inch larger!
My Thighs are L~.75 inch larger, R~1.5 inch larger
Calves are L~.5 inch larger, R~.25 inch larger

So....that is an increase of 4.25 inches! So all of the inches I have lost over my body have accumulated in my arms and legs and I just do not understand why. Since my first measurements were taken, I have lost 5 lbs, so why the increase in inches?
Does anyone have any information that might help explain this???
Thanks!
Darcy
nail-lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:36 AM   #2  
Meg

Are you lifting weights? It could be some added muscle, which is a GOOD thing.

Or it simply could be measurement inconsistency. It's hard to measure the exact same spot each time on your arms and legs. I can measure three times in a row and get three different numbers.

It sounds like you're doing great!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:44 AM   #3  

Meg,
Thanks for such a quick reply!! I have been doing some weight training, so maybe it is a combination of that and not measuring the exact same spot. I hope that I do not gain inches each month, I think that might be a little discouraging. I want to be tighter and toned, not add inches.
Thanks again for the answers!
Darcy
Old 05-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #4  
Meg

I'm sure you won't gain inches every month! Added muscle will help burn off the fat and you'll start to get smaller and tighter, with some nice definition.

As for the measuring, some people write down landmarks that they use, like a freckle or mole or 6 inches above the knee ... just something so they can measure in approximately the same place each time.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #5  

Meg,
Great tip, I will try that!
Thanks!
Darcy