Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-26-2006, 12:32 AM   #1  
Shar

S/C/G: 280/149/140

Unhappy Update on Sharmel!!

Sharmel asked me to post her story, thus far, and ask that you keep her in your prayers. It's been another long day, so I will give you the cliff note version. On the 31st of March, Sharmel had her WLS, via RNY. She had a reaction to the heprin and required blood transfusions. She was released on the 3rd, but her condition worsened each day and after multiple trips to the surgeons office, he decided to re admit her on the 9th. The transfusions drove the formation of an abscess in her abdominal wall. In addition, she developed a serious case of phemonia and edima. On the 17th, the surgeon went back in to determine the status of the surgery and repair what he believed may have been a small leak in the original surgery that was driving all the complications. It was during this procedure that he found the abcess and saw nothing wrong with the surgery. He did another contrast on the 19th and found that she in fact had as 1/2 inch breach in the connection betweent he new stomach pouch and the intestine. He went in on the 20th and attempted a repair. He wanted to give her a solid three days to heal. Over the weekend, her abdomen became very disdended and it was very difficult for her to get comfortable. He held off until monday (24th) and ran a battery of tests. Then he came to us with more devistating news. The repair did not take and her leak had fed the development of a major infection in and around her bowels. Her entire abdomen and its contents were inflamed and she required immediate surgery to repair the original surgery and clean out he infection. We requested another surgeon perform this surgery, her original surgeon is still very involved with her case and scrubbed in on the procedure. We essentially have two of the best surgeons in the midwest working together on getting Sharmel healthy and on a firm road to recovery. That brings us to today ... due to the infection weaking her respritory system, she remains on a ventilator, she has another NG tube draining the stomach, she has a feeding tube (to be used later in recovery), a catheter and every other machine created. The current goal is to have these machines sustain her while her body recovers from all the abuse over the last three weeks. We are hoping for her to have the breathing tube removed by thursday and her potentially moved from the CCU by early next week. I need to mention that to perform the latest repair and clean-up, the surgeon had to slice her from her breast bone to her belly button to gain the proper access to all the areas and ensure the best shot at a good fix. Due to inflamation and stress, her actual incision is still open, there is a wire mesh sutstance acting as a false muscle structure to allow healing and drainage. The surgeon estimates he will look at sewing her back up in about 3-4 weeks. So this part of the journey is no where near completion. Please keep her in your prayers and I will try to post updates as they are prevalent.

Thanks!
Eric (her lesser half)
USAFwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:16 AM   #2  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Eric, please let her know she is in our thoughts and prayers...
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:58 AM   #3  

Eric.. I am so sorry to hear what happened to Sharmel.. I pray to God that she gets better soon.. I currently have a patient who had pretty much the same complication (the leak and the infection), and she just got off the ventilator yesterday.. Please keep us updated.. May God be with both of you

Last edited by Della1977; 04-26-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Della1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:07 AM   #4  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I can only imagine what you are going thru Eric. Lots of good thoughts and prayers for your Mrs.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:36 AM   #5  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

I will be praying for her quick recovery and sending you both the best of thoughts...

kitty
chaoskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 312/288/165

Height: 5'4"

Eric,
You and Sharmel are in my thoughts and prayers. Be strong and God will take care of everything.
debo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #7  
cha

S/C/G: 228/142/125

I am so sorry this has happened to your wife!! My family's thoughts and prayers will be with you both!!! Hoping for the best recovery!!! May God be with you!!
cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

oh eric. i'm in TEARS. and thank you for keeping us posted. please tell Sharmel that we're all thinking of her and praying for her.

please don't despair. there was a woman who also had the surgery who was in a coma for at least 8 weeks - in a similar situation [leakage, and the internal sutures that didn't 'take'] she's pretty much at her goal, and is running around these days, very very happy and healthy.

give Sharmel our love, and if there's anything we can do, just holler!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:06 PM   #9  

Sending lots of love & prayers to Sharmel & Eric.
Hey Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #10  
Angela

S/C/G: 275/260/150?

May God bless you and your family.
CJsPrincess816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #11  

I'm touched beyond words Eric, and SO sorry I haven't been around most of this month and hadn't read this sooner.

My God what a terrible process you've been through. My last surgery left my incision open for three months Eric, and in fact had to be 're-opened' several times. Sharmel is here with you now and I'm sure draws on your strength and love to get her through. I say that in all seriousness. When your body is fighting the way hers is now, the love of others is what makes the difference ultimately. I'm sure you're both horrified right now but keep your sights set on seeing her out of there, well healed and moving toward a bright future. Hold those good thoughts. Hold each other. My heart goes out to you both.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote