Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:57 PM   #1  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Default Exercise Trumps Diet for Weight Loss

April 14, 2006 -- Active monkeys stay lean, while couch-potato monkeys get fat -- no matter how much they eat.

The findings come from a research team led by Judy Cameron, PhD, senior scientist at Oregon National Primate Research Center and professor of behavioral neuroscience and obstetrics/gynecology at Oregon Health & Science University.

"Far and away the biggest predictor of weight gain was how active the monkeys were -- that overrode how much food they were eating," Cameron tells WebMD.

The study may explain why people who try to lose weight by dieting alone rarely succeed.

Full Article: http://www.webmd.com/content/article...src=RSS_PUBLIC
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #2  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Hi Tani. Nice to bump into you again.

From the article: "From these results, you are forced to think how active you are is more important than how much you eat."

Maybe now the diet industry will stop all their "monkey business" and begin marketing more products and information geared toward getting sedentary people more active.

I know it makes a difference with me.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Oh I don't think anything will stop the diet industry from trying to promote magic pills as long as there are zillions of people out there willing to buy them LOL
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote