General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 11:07 AM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default How could you prove that you lived at an address 20 years ago?

I just learned that I have some unclaimed property in my state. In order to get it, I have to prove that I lived at the address listed. I have not lived there for 20+ years. Any ideas on how I would go about that?? HELP!
Old 04-16-2006, 11:24 AM   #2  

That's a tough one. I can't think of a single institute that would keep records older than twenty years. If you haven't already, it would be worth calling any companies that you had dealings with back then to see if there's a snowball's chance in **** that they have anything they can dig up about you from back then (showing your mailing address.)

Or perhaps someone in your state controller's office would be able to offer suggestions.

I have some unclaimed property (not much, about $150) that I'm owed. They have all my info on file at the SCO and yet they want me to prove that I had this specific bank account - an account I haven't had for 10 years. I'm going to go through all my old boxes in the garage and pray that I find an old statement with that account # or something. They don't make it easy, that's for sure!
Old 04-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 317/305/160

Height: 5'7"

Income tax returns? Previous employers records?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #4  

If you owned the property, check the land registry department. The title would be registered to you. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #5  
ugggg.....

I used to be a title abstractor--researched land titles for a title company. Was the property in your name? If so there will be a record at the county courthouse and those records go way back alot of them have been converted to computer so that the really old books aren't handled anymore. There were actually records into the 1800's in Maryland where I worked. The tax office may also have records. There is also lots of birth, marriage and death records that go way back.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:39 AM   #6  
This is the Last Time!!!

It would not be property per say, they just call it "unclaimed property". Could be a tax refund, abandoned bank account that had money it, etc. This particular one is from Prudential and I have no idea what it was or is.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:08 PM   #7  

If you're just trying to prove an address... perhaps old school records? Old employee records. Certainly I would think the IRS. Bureau of Motor Vehicles? I think I'd try all of those....
Old 04-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #8  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I would think the dept of motor vehicles would have that on record, or old tax returns - maybe even hospital records or something?
Old 04-16-2006, 12:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 317/305/160

Height: 5'7"

It is probably from an insurance account that switched from being held by the insured people to a different kind of holding. Mine switched a few years ago and I got 700 bucks...sort of a payoff for my shares...I think they call this something like "demutialization". I'm sure I'm messing that up...something like that. My sister who is in law school said that a lot of unclaimed property comes from this sort of situation. It is probably linked to your social security number...
Old 04-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #10  
210 / 193 / 140

Do you have any old utility bills or bank statements? Any letters or personal correspondence where you saved the envelope? Can you call or write to the local DMV, utility companies, IRS, former employers, or your former landlord, on the chance that they might have kept records?

If you're really stumped, and the property is valuable enough to justify the expense, your best bet might be to hire a private investigator. They already know the ropes when it comes to finding old records.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:03 PM   #11  
This is the Last Time!!!

Lyndyn, that is exactly what it said--demutualization. So there might be some substance to this then, huh?? I am exciited. I did find something with my old address on it, an old ticket for Open Bottle!! Boy, did that bring back some memories!! Do you think that will work?? I would say yes. Now I have to find my marriage certificate or get a certified copy. Sounds like it might be worth it though! Thanks for all your help ladies!
Old 04-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

Wow can't wait to hear what you got!! Glad you found some records!
Closed Thread