Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-14-2006, 11:23 AM   #1  
takin it one lb at a time

Question I don't understand.

Wow.. this is so strange. Yesterday morning I had for breakfast: 1 banana, 12 oz of hot chocolate, and 3 oz of tuna with 6 crackers. I was still super hungry even after all of that! Then today, I had 8 oz of hot chocolate (I couldn't finish the 12 oz) and 3 oz of tuna with 6 crackers, and I'm stuffed. What's going on here?

I think yesterday was a bingey day.
x0xmelissax0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #2  

The banana is probably a trigger food for you. Your body probably processes bananas faster in which case it made you hungry a lot quicker. I believe bananas have a high glycemic index. Apples do the same for me, I eat an apple and an hour later I am starving.
Ariannas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:41 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariannas
The banana is probably a trigger food for you. Your body probably processes bananas faster in which case it made you hungry a lot quicker. I believe bananas have a high glycemic index. Apples do the same for me, I eat an apple and an hour later I am starving.
Yep, fruit does that, especially bananas. They cause a rapid rise in blood sugar, so they say. They're digested quickly, therefore leaving you feeling hungry a short while later. That's why you're hungry an hour after eating Chinese food, lol

If you eat the rice and all the high carby stuff, anyway.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:07 PM   #4  

Bananas have the opposite effect on me, since I have started having bananas for breakfast with my oatmeal, I feel satisfied longer!

It could be just that different days your body has different calorie needs and sometimes your appetite reflects how much food you need.

I wouldn't stress over it, or give up the nanas, they contain potassium and other great stuff your body needs.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:13 PM   #5  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

I have days like that. I feel hungry no matter what I eat all day long. Then another day I could eat little and feel very full all day. I honestly don't know why. I try to listen to my body on days where I feel too hungry or too full. I try to eat loads of veggies the days I'm hungry. On days I'm full I allow myself higher calorie foods to get in my minimum I need for that day.

I wouldn't stress over it.
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:44 PM   #6  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0xmelissax0x
Wow.. this is so strange. Yesterday morning I had for breakfast: 1 banana, 12 oz of hot chocolate, and 3 oz of tuna with 6 crackers. I was still super hungry even after all of that! Then today, I had 8 oz of hot chocolate (I couldn't finish the 12 oz) and 3 oz of tuna with 6 crackers, and I'm stuffed. What's going on here?

I think yesterday was a bingey day.

Is that what you had for breakfast or all day? If its all day that is hardley a binge day?? Im confused here?

If thats all you had, the reason you are stuffed today is because by eatting so little you are shrinking your stomach. Also, I would blame the sugar in the hot chocolate before I blamed the banana as a trigger food. Yes it spikes your blood sugar but not the way the hot chocolate would. I also have days I am more hungry than others, listen to your body..if you are hungry.. eat

KyKaree - it wasnt the banana leaving you full it was the oatmeal. High fiber does that.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:58 PM   #7  
takin it one lb at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2ShedLBS
Is that what you had for breakfast or all day? If its all day that is hardley a binge day?? Im confused here?

If thats all you had, the reason you are stuffed today is because by eatting so little you are shrinking your stomach. Also, I would blame the sugar in the hot chocolate before I blamed the banana as a trigger food. Yes it spikes your blood sugar but not the way the hot chocolate would. I also have days I am more hungry than others, listen to your body..if you are hungry.. eat

KyKaree - it wasnt the banana leaving you full it was the oatmeal. High fiber does that.

That's breakfast, lol, not all day. I would starve if that was all day.
x0xmelissax0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #8  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

ok that makes me feel better lol. Maybe you were just hungier ( is that a word) yesterday than today.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2ShedLBS

No it's adding the banana that has made the difference. I've had oatmeal every day for 14 months, give or take, and it's only since adding the banana that I've done without a morning snack.

I believe solidly in the concept of GL, where you combine low GI foods with higher GI foods, which helps balance the meal and then you get many of the benefits of higher GI foods, like bananas, without getting the sugar highs and lows.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

kykaree - I love banana's!! I constantly add them to random foods (oatmeal, yogurt, blend them into juice), I also find they really fill me up. Sometimes I'll make oatmeal and put a banana on it, and a cup of strawberries, it turns into fruit with a side of oatmeal, heh.

Melissa - I know I definitely have days when I am more hungry than others, I can't think of anything to explain it.

I'm so different from most of you, if I eat an apple I am less hungry later. It's interesting to hear how different everyone's bodies really are.. I bet genetics, blood types and all of that are reasons why. I guess thats why there are SO many different diets that work or don't work for certain people.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

On this topic of glycemic index foods, here's some research that suggests the glycemic index doesn't translate well to the real world. "A food's GI is determined under artificial conditions where a person eats the test food after a fast, then has blood sugar tests taken two hours later. But a food has different blood sugar effects when it's not eaten after a fast."

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11846032/

Apparently, it's not so simple as bananas cause spikes in blood sugar but depends on a number of other factors...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

I have a banana every day and sometimes two! Always for breakfast just about! They certainly don't make me feel hungrier... just the opposite!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:30 AM   #13  

Well, they can run whatever tests they want, I know that when I eat an apple I am hungry an hour later, and I'm not talking just hungry, I feel like I haven't eaten, so far it has only happened with apples for me, well, and Chinese food. I have added a protein when I eat an apple and it lessens the effect.
Ariannas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #14  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariannas
Well, they can run whatever tests they want, I know that when I eat an apple I am hungry an hour later, and I'm not talking just hungry, I feel like I haven't eaten, so far it has only happened with apples for me, well, and Chinese food. I have added a protein when I eat an apple and it lessens the effect.
Chinese food is evil. But I love it, lol.

I like bananas too, I just had one yesterday because I was STARVED and needed something in my stomach. The banana hit the spot. I too have been reading about the GI thing and they're now saying it doesn't have as much as an effect as they originally thought. Of course. What's new? Every day something we thought was bad turns out not to be and visa versa. I can't keep up with these people and their scientific studies. Which is why I never listen to any of them in the first place
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #15  

Height: 5'8.5"

LOL I don't listen to them either!!! I plan my own way and go with it. And LOL as Sarah says it doesn't matter what "they" say... if an apple makes her hungry it makes her hungry!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote