Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-12-2006, 04:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/217/150

Default What Made You Finally Take Control?

Just curious....but what made you finally take control of your life, your eating situation and/or your exercise regime? I'm feeling a little down because I was walking the dog last night and saw my reflection in a window. I couldn't get over on how I let myself go. What happened to me? I didn't recognize the person in that window reflection and it saddens me deeply.

So I'm just curious...what took you "over the edge" when you decided that this is the time for me to lose weight, get into shape, get healthy, etc.?

Thanks for your answers. I'm hoping they will inspire me. Have a good day.

FenwayPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 174/164/140

Height: 5'5

Mine was two things, one I could barely get my size 14 jeans to button, and two my husband hadent shown any interest in me in 7 months. Although I am losing the weight for myself and not for him. But it did open my eyes.
Lady Jackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:20 PM   #3  
210 / 193 / 140

I know this may sound odd, but what finally helped me take control of my eating was getting control of my finances and spending first. I took a 3-month course in personal financial management at my church and started applying some of the principles. I must have been more stressed out about money than I had realized, because once I started getting control in that area, I no longer needed to sedate myself with food.

I admit this is a strange answer, but I also overheard one of the other ladies who attended the study mention that she's lost 40 pounds recently. Coincidence?
Margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #4  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

My (now ex) daughters father called me a fat *** in an argument and that is IT, no one was EVER going to call me fat again. I had already lost like 70lbs in my life at that time, * he didnt know me then* My daughter was like 3 months at the time. My defense was that I was fat because I had his daughter, truth be known I had lost all my pregnancy weight.. hehe but I didnt know I was still looked at as.. "fat". So I lost weight and havent been called fat again. Even though Im not at my goal and I am CLINICALLY overweight I still havent been called fat lol
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:43 PM   #5  
Mom to an active 1 yr old

S/C/G: 175/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'8

I think the final straw was when I would go shopping and I would try on size 12 pants and they would be tight. I love to shop, so I would go to the mall 2 to 3 times a week, and I was just soo frustrated that nothing would look good. So I decided to make it my New year's resolution to lose weight, and now I am in a size 8!! the old size 12 jeans (that were tight) are now really big on me. Oh yeah and I loooooove to shop now because I can buy really cute clothes!!

*I can't wait to be a size 4 and go shopping, I will probably go broke
Alaynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #6  

Simply put, I got tired of feeling fat.

When you are truly tired of something, you'll make a change.
CheeseBurger&Thighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #7  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

OK, this insight really made me rethink how vain I really am. We are going to Hawaii for our 10th anniversary in November. We were there for our 5th and I was in terrific shape-if anything a bit to thin. So, for our upcoming trip my vanity took over and I decided I WILL NOT LOOK BAD IN A BIKINI OR BE ASHAMED TO BE SEEN while we are there. That is what did it. Pure and simple vanity. Isn't that terrible! I really didn't think that was me but it is.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #8  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

I was definately tired of feeling fat. I've been overweight since 3rd grade.

But what really got me to change for the better was one day I realized I hadn't ate anything even remotely healthy all day and all I was doing was showing my two little boys that it was ok to eat sugary foods all day. I don't want them to grow up in the same type of household I did with junk food plentiful in the cabinets and unlimited soda in the fridge and out in the garage.

Now I am setting a wonderful example. We all eat healthy meals about 99% of the time and I feel more in shape to go out and play soccer with my family or walk down to the park and play on the playground.

I truely believe you have to have that "click" in your head to make it really stick.
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #9  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBran
I truely believe you have to have that "click" in your head to make it really stick.
Agreed! I told myself for years I was fat... ever since I was tall enough to see in the mirrior. But one day I woke up and it was like - I dunno - a new me? I never felt that way in my life about how fat I really was and it just clicked and I stuck to a 'diet' (lasted longer then two weeks!) for the first time in my life.

When I went to Hawaii the first time I lost at least 10 pounds. Don't remember what I weighed but it was probably the lightest I ever was in high school. But that is because I had my appendix removed while in Hawaii and after that I couldn't wear a Bikini anyway... or for that matter even go for a swim! lol I ate gross food for like a week... or tried, usually I just didn't eat - that paid off on my ride out of the hospital with these pills I felt sooo sick cuz I hadn't been eating, anyway long story short we went to the Hard Rock Cafe and I had a buger and fries... and that my friends is how I got to be so fat! lol
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:42 PM   #10