Old 03-17-2006, 12:24 AM   #1  

Talking Hey what about...

hey i was thinking about using a diet pill.. what is your oppion? any good kinds? and my friends goin bye me slim quick anyone try that yet?
sugarbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #2  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

mmmmm . . . .

the way i see it is if there were a pill on the market that actually worked for weight loss - we would all be using it.

from past experience majority of pills will have some guarana and will suppress your appetite a little. you still need to workout and diet - you can't expect to lose weight with only a pill.

it is your choice at the end of the day but personally i see it as a waste of money and you are capable of doing this without it!

c'mon sugarbutt
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/209/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Boo
mmmmm . . . .

the way i see it is if there were a pill on the market that actually worked for weight loss - we would all be using it.

from past experience majority of pills will have some guarana and will suppress your appetite a little. you still need to workout and diet - you can't expect to lose weight with only a pill.

it is your choice at the end of the day but personally i see it as a waste of money and you are capable of doing this without it!

c'mon sugarbutt
You said exactly what I was thinking
Jessie_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

From personal experience, don't bother. I've tried quite a few different ones and they only gave me heartburn. No increased energy or faster weight loss. It's plenty effective to diet and exercise alone. I still have largely unused bottles of the pills in my room. If you listen to the testomonials of these products, people have only lost weight when they dieted and exercised. That's why these pills are classified as "supplements." Their job is to supplement and support weight loss, not cause it.

My advice to you is stick with whatever it is you are doing, because it's working without the pills.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:15 PM   #5  
12 pounds lost in 2006

I've never used one. I figure this is a lifestlyle change and not a quick fix, so why use a pill. It's not like I'm going to take a pill my whole life. I'd rather lose weight the healthy way by eating right and exericising. Like Daisy Boo said, "it's your choice" though.
mocha74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #6  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

I tried many...Hydroxycut, proenzy etc, none of them work...if you are thinking about a pill, try the new multivitamin with gree tea extract...I am using it and have noticed I have a smaller appetite. I also suggest drinking more green tea--if you don't like the taste find a tea that you do like and then steep both together...I put a bag of peach tea and a bag of green tea in the same cup

but IMO diet pills are a crock! DON"T wast your money
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:54 PM   #7  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

Diet pills aren't going to give you lasting weight loss - you need to learn to control your eating without a suppressant. Also, a lot of them work by cleansing, so you spend the first week on the toilet - yuck.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:10 PM   #8  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

Yeah, i would go against using diet pills, but it is up to you.
A lot of the ladies made good points about why not to go that route.
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:15 AM   #9  
Melting Butter

I never had the nerve to try a diet pill...sure I thought about it a lot...but I was always afraid to take something that wasn't prescribed by a physician. And with diet pills there's no telling what you're getting...much less what side effects they will have and if you'll lose any weight at all.
Even if you were to genuinely lose weight, they aren't meant for the long term and they don't help with making better choices like exercising and eating well.
You've already lost a lot of weight...are you getting discouraged? What's up with the wanting to take a pill? With all that exercise you're getting you're definately on the right track!
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Agree...diet pills are SCARY! Many can interfere with some other medications or conditions you already have, and even if you're healthy otherwise, most of them will increase your heart rate and include ingredients that haven't been thouroughly tested (even "all-natural" pills are not safe). Diet pills are NOT regulated by the FDA, so those money-grubbing companies can put just about anything they want in there! SCARY
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:05 PM   #11  
Melting Butter

That is true that diet pills aren't regulated by the FDA...most pills don't get much notice until people start having problems and the pills have to be pulled off the market.
And as far as the heart race thing...my mom took some well known pill a few years ago (I can't remember the name right now). She said her heart would race so fast a few minutes after taking the pills that she thought she would pass out.
And also like Jill said, it doesn't matter if you're in perfect health...you're still very susceptible to adverse effects of unprescribed diet pills.
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:04 AM   #12  

Both my boyfriend and I have both tried diet pills in the past. While he had no side effects ( he also had no weight loss), I on the other hand had a racing heart and dizziness. Soooo scary. Went through all that and they flat out just did not work. IMHO you are doing a great job with just diet and exercise. There is no quick fix Be patient, keep up the good work. It will pay off.
Karma27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 140/138/125

I had some success with diest pills in the past: hydroxycut, and Xenedrine. The thing was that I had too much energy, my heart raced, I had dizzy spells, and I had trouble sleeping. When I stopped taking them, twice, I ended up with a really bad kidney infection. They sped up my system so much that going off them my body couldn't process things properly.
I've found that I get the positive effect of increased energy and slightly suppressed appetite, but not the negative, by just drinking either green tea or a small cup of coffee in the morning.
scout wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:54 AM   #14  
lonnie

S/C/G: 210/208/145

i went to a fat doctor who put me on pills and they really worked i got down to the weight i wanted and man was it great. They were just an appetite supressent so i didnt get jittery, plus i went in every month so he could keep track of everything. The only thing is that if you quit going it all comes back. I guess unless you are good at maintaining your weight .
yalondah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:42 AM   #15  
...future runner...

S/C/G: 215/193.6/135

I haven’t necessarily used diet pills to actually lose weight, but I have often used them for “increased energy” similar to Red Bull or my new favorite Tab. But I can totally see where with proper diet and exercise it can give you get an extra boost before your workout and help suppress hunger.

I have used both Hydroxycut & Xenedrine, neither regularly only when I needed extra energy. And I would use them again if I wanted to. But again I really doubt it would completely work on it’s own without changing your eating habits and incorporating exercise into your diet.

- rOsie -
rosiek2277 is offline   Reply With Quote