Old 03-16-2006, 07:01 PM   #1  
-Elizabeth-

Smile 25F - New to ALL of this! Looking for a friend!

Very new to all this diet stuff...Anybody want a new trainee?

Hi! My name is Elizabeth. I'm from Mississippi and I'll be 25 on April 1st. I am a senior in veterinary school and LOVE animals. My boyfriend of 3 years, Stephen, accidentally let it slip the other day to my twin sister that he is going to propose in June (and OF COURSE she 'accidentally' told me...what are sisters for, anyway?!) so I had a good ol' "come to Jesus" meeting with myself and decided it was time to do something about all this extra weight I've been carrying around ...And boy, do I need help!!

I have been a normal, healthy weight almost my whole life, but for the past two years, I've put on about 50 lbs! I'm in school from about 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on average, and after that, I have to study and do household things like that...So I don't have the opportunity to go to the gym, but I am willing and able to exercise at home whenever I get a plan started. I had brain surgery in early February, and I'm nearly 100% well...and I'm VERY ready to get all those pounds I gained with my illness off!

My best friends are all make-you-sick skinny, so there's no talking to them, and my boyfriend is like, Mr. Workout KING and I'm too embarrassed about being out of shape to work out with him when I can.

The perfect weight for me is about 160 lbs (about a size 10) since I am tall and large-framed. So fifty pounds is what I want to lose...If I don't, me and Stephen will soon weigh the same!! So I need all the support I can get...I don't want to get stuck like this

I have AIM and Yahoo! Messenger.

Thanks!
VetElizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:30 PM   #2  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

Hi and

You will find lots of support and advice on these boards - it is a great support base to come and talk about what is going on in your life and how the weight loss is going.

Hope to see you around
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:55 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I totally relate to the weighing the same as the bf. That was kinda what woke me up. When we met he was 188 and I was 150, he gained a little to, up to 213 and I got up to 190, I was closing the gap!!!

Welcome first of all, and as daisy said, you will find a ton of support here! What type of "diet" do you think will work for you? Do you like counting calories and keeping food logs, do you like a lot of choices or do you like to keep them limited? A lot of us use fitday, you can get a free account online or download the pc version if you like counting calories. I'd say as far as exercise, just start by trying to get in 20 to 30 minutes most days doing whatever you can (even walking). Please post any questions as you think of them! And good luck at the begining of you weight loss journey, and congrats on the future engagement ;-)
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Oh my goodness you said "come to jesus meeting"! I love it! I haven't heard that expression in a long while and I miss it!
Anyway, you sound like a really fun person and I look forward to seeing ya in the threads!

By the way, don't feel embarassed to be seen with your bf! He obviously isn't embarassed to be seen with you (if he's planning on proposing). My boyfriend is the same way (a workout junkie) and while it gets annoying, he's gotten me off my lazy butt on more than one occassion.

Welcome welcome welcome!

Jen
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/209/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetElizabeth
a good ol' "come to Jesus" meeting
I love that saying
Jessie_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #6  

Hi! I used to be really embarrassed to work out with my boyfriend, too! He used to wrestle and play football and is just one of those really strong guys! It sounds like your boyfriend is too -- don't you love 'em? I thought that if I worked out with him, I'd either (a) slow him down, or (b) give up because he'd push me too hard... but if your's is anything like mine, he just wants to help and loves you so much that he won't care how well you do! Grant would even let me pick the stuff I wanted to do, instead of running bleachers or anything like that... (In fact, when it comes to some stuff, like workout-at-home DVDs, I actually did better than he did! I know he'd run circles around me on the track or in the weight room, but he's just not the coordinated/aerobic type -- don't tell, though! Haha... ) Maybe when you get a little more into-the-groove, you can try working out with him... It took me a long time to say yes, but boyfriends can be great motivators because all they want is for you to be happy!

But I totally understand how you feel, and good luck and congratulations on your engagement (ahead of time - yay!!) -- You must feel like this right now! Haha.

Megan

ChopSuzyLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 304/289/160

Height: 5'5"

Welcome. I understand the other part of your message about not having time. I work two jobs and have about "this much" (holding up two fingers with about 1/2 an inch between them) time to excercise. I have found that the Walk Away the Pounds have been a life saver. The longest tape which is 3 miles is only about 45 minutes long. Good luck and congrats on the engagement.
citycowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:16 PM   #8  
12 pounds lost in 2006

mocha74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #9  
-Elizabeth-

Thanks everybody! I feel a lot better about this already. I have no idea what kind of diet to start... I don't really have super-bad eating habits..I think it's just lack of exercise that's the problem...So I've just been counting calories and doing some simple aerobics and weights. I still have about three weeks to go before the doctor says I can lift anything above three pounds, so right now, that's what I'm lifting. I have an AbLounge too, but he said none of that til three more weeks. So, I'm doing what I can do under the circumstances!! I feel motivated, though, I just hope I can keep with it!!

Stephen (boyfriend) is like, a total meathead...He plays rugby, in college and now in a club (against his better judgement and MY wishes...but what do ya do except keep patching him up and hope he doesn't lose any teeth), football, he lifts weights at least three times a week, and his newest thing is running a 10k (he's OBSESSED with running). Me? I go to school and make soap. So I guess opposites do attract! I do want to teach him to play tennis, though, and we could probably go lift weights together...That's one area I don't feel too unconfident about!

And if he does propose in June, I want to fit my skinnier butt into a cute outfit for it!! (Wish me luck!)

--Elizabeth--
VetElizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:50 PM   #10  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

Welcome, Elizabeth! It's great to see another Southerner! (I'm originally from TN)

My fiancee has historically been quite fit, as well, so I know how you feel. I always wanted to go to the gym with him, because I knew he could help me a lot, but I felt very self-conscious working out around him, honestly. (not just him, but the throngs of other workoutaholics at the gym, too.) Anyway, I ended up going to a gym that was just for women (not curves, actually, it was a local thing to Auburn U), and that helped me gain a lot of confidence. When I was at Auburn, I wouldn't dare work out in the rec center... but now i'm at the U. of Colo., and I work out at the rec center every day!

Looks like we're at about the same weight right now, so we'll be on this little journey together! Best of luck to you, and congrats on the upcoming *suprise* engagement!
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #11  
...future runner...

S/C/G: 215/193.6/135

Welcome!
rosiek2277 is offline   Reply With Quote