Old 03-08-2006, 04:03 PM   #1  

Default Is low-fat or fat-free good when counting calories?

It's been so long since I've counted calories but I see alot of people talking about low-fat or no-fat and just want to make sure that's better than full-fat. I haven't read any labels to see how it effects calories.

Thanks.
Duchess_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Just keep reading your labels. Some products use extra carbs to make up flavour and texture in place of fats. Read, read, and read some more!
BTW ... Hi there and welcome!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #3  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Low fat and non fat versions of foods can be better, worse or the same depending on what your goals are. In the case of dairy, low fat and non fat are generally always good because you're getting the same nutrition (ie calcium and protein) when the fat is reduced.

In the same way I tend to always go for leaner cuts of meat. You're still getting your protein, just in a less calorie dense way.

Some packaged goods though, like cookies and other treats, just add in extra sugar to make up for the lack of fat, resulting in foods that are calorically and nutritionally not much different than the full fat versions. In fact, they may add so many 14 syllable ingredients, that I would find the full fat version preferable.

So for me I guess that makes it a generally yes, but not always
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I think that it can depend on the food, personally.

For instance-reduced fat peanut butter-BAD, BAD, BAD!!! The reason being, is that nuts naturally contain fats-but they are also nutritious, and not the same kind of fats found in potato chips and french fries. The way companies make "reduced fat" peanut butter is they take out some of the peanuts (and some of the nutritional value) and place sugar and other things in its place. So, you may end up with 2-3 grams less fat-but also less nutrition and more sugar and additives. Natural peanut butter is the way to go...no sugar added, no salt added, just peanuts pretty much.

As far as chips are concerned-lower fat is okay/better if they are "baked" as in pretzels or baked Lays or something. Definitely not health food, but better than the fried original versions. Now-the low fat or fat free chips that are actually fried, but fried in Olestra or an oil that is "undigestable" by the body...not so good. (Wow! chips and fat free Pringles are an example here...) They can cause...umm...many trips to the toilet for those with sensitive tummies.

As far as pastries and cookies and bread type things...such as Snackwells, Low Fat Hostess, fat free ice cream and all that-I think the thing to compare is calories. If a regular cookie has 100 calories, and a fat free one has 80, there isn't all that much difference. If there is a 100 calorie difference between items then you might want to enjoy the low fat variety to save the calories. For instance-regular and low fat Pop-Tarts only have 20 calories difference-not enough, in my opinion to make the change.
They are both non-nutritious, and should both be enjoyed sparingly as it is-so when there is hardly a calorie difference then that is your call. On an empty stomach though, as in a snack-a lot of people actually find the full fat version is more satisfying and stays with them longer-low fat or fat free sweets have no fat to keep the digestive sytem busy, so it can be gone (and you starving) before you know it.

I think the best fat free and low fat foods are in nature of course, fruits and vegetables, legumes, rice, oatmeal, etc. If you eat leaner cuts of meat and fish and bake or grill rather than fry, then you are naturally eating a lower fat diet. All of the low fat/fat free products out there mainly only account for treat/snacky type foods anyway...so it is like choosing the lesser of two evils. Neither are really "healthy" so they should be used in moderation.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:16 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil
I think that it can depend on the food, personally.

For instance-reduced fat peanut butter-BAD, BAD, BAD!!! The reason being, is that nuts naturally contain fats-but they are also nutritious, and not the same kind of fats found in potato chips and french fries.
Exactly.

Look at the nutrition info on a bag of peanuts. 14 grams of fat in a 1/2 cup serving. But only 2 of those grams are saturated.

Nuts are full of heart-healthy fats. And I never buy reduced-fat peanut butter

Great post with great comparisons
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree that it completely depends on what types of food you're talking about. I drink skim milk (fat free), but I eat nuts, which have pretty high amounts of fat (comparably). What really matters is the types of fat--if you're eating a lot of trans fats and/or saturated fats, then by all means, cut back! But you do need to keep some fat (preferably primarily UNsaturated fats) in your diet in order to absorb many nutrients. I actually know of someone who got very, very sick because she ate literally almost NO fat, and her body just couldn't take it anymore!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #7  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

I use some low fat foods, such as mayo for my tuna.. I really don't miss the high fat taste...I also use fat free cool whip for my desserts..
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:59 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepansy912
I also use fat free cool whip for my desserts..
Fair warning on ff cool whip: make sure you measure the amount you use! Sure, they list 2 tablespoons as being fat-free, but there's actually trans fats in there. Legally, if there's less than half a gram of trans fat, they don't need to show it on the label, but even if it's .4 grams, and you have 2-3 servings thinking it's fat-free, it's not
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
Fair warning on ff cool whip: make sure you measure the amount you use! Sure, they list 2 tablespoons as being fat-free, but there's actually trans fats in there. Legally, if there's less than half a gram of trans fat, they don't need to show it on the label, but even if it's .4 grams, and you have 2-3 servings thinking it's fat-free, it's not
Same with the butter sprays & no-stick cooking sprays- they say no cal/fat free, but thats for a couple second spray. 1/2 teaspoon of the butter sprays has 1 gram of fat & 10 calories- doesn't sound like much until you meet someone who uses it on everything, all day long...and then wonders why they can't lose weight

For the no-stick sprays, the best thing you can do is to buy a Mr Misto can you fill yourself- at least then you know what is in it & there is no chemical taste. I have 2- one filled with olive oil for cooking & another with canola oil for baking.
christineu is offline   Reply With Quote