Old 03-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #1  

Default ? about testing for ketones

I haven't started Atkins yet ,but I'm really think about it because this counting calories is getting old. I have lost about 30lbs , but don't know how much longer I can do it.
What I wanted to know is how to test for ketones ? When should you first test and how often ?
plb@m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #2  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

read the book, tons of info regarding ketones. Some people never test, I test about once weekly or when I'm trying to get into deep ketosis. The way to test at home is with strips that can be bought at walmart, some work, some don't work so well...

Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:53 PM   #3  

I test daily before I go to the gym. Might not be the best way, but I can't help it.. kinda like getting on that darn scale. I use ReliOn Ketone test strips, and you can get them in the diabetic section of the walmart pharmacy. All you do is pee on them, and then compare the strip color to the color panel on the side of the bottle. It ranges from negative to large. I like to see where i'm at before going into the gym. If i'm in large, I know i'm hopefully going to burn some good fat on the track.

Good luck! Calorie counting has always freaked me out, and I don't have the patience. Not saying it's a bad thing, it's just not for everyone. You might have some fluctuations happen as you transition, but I bet you'll do just fine.
Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:15 AM   #4  
Going to ONEderland

I wouldn't bother testing until you have been on the diet and not cheated for at least 2 days. They will be darker if you eat more fat, darker if you drink less water. You usually only need to test once or twice and then if you eat all legal foods you don't have to keep testing.

But some do it just like they weigh. I'm not testing any more at all, but I have done this diet so long that I can tell when I'm in ketosis and when I'm not. Mostly I think I am these days.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:32 AM   #5  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

never tested and never will. I know when I am in. thirsty all the time (and I drink) and have a fairly strong odor when I exercise and sweat. (heavy with the deodorant) and strong breath (tick tacs) no more headaches (except stress from work ) and no GERD. (Except when stress is off the wall at work). I wonder what I sould read?? HHHMMM Maybe i will tesr. we have these lovely strips at work I can do and tell if I have a UTI too. or spilling glucose or protien. that might me intersting.
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #6  
Baby Steps

I've never tested either. I figured if the "diet" worked I'd be losing weight...if it didn't I wouldn't. Plus I didn't have the money for the strips
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #7  

Thanks everyone
plb@m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 208/196/150

Height: 5'7

I have never tested mine either, allthough i do get on the scale like a madwoman every day at 11 am lol
As long as the pounds are dropping and my clothes are feeling loose, that's all I worry with, I know i'm in ketosis because i'm never hungry, thirsty all the time, not to mention the horrid breath.
xJennJennx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:17 PM   #9  
Susan hockeyfan7

I bought many different brands of the strips including the ones made by Atkins. In 5 years, I've never gotten one to go past small yet I lost 143 lbs.

I finally tossed the things in the garbage and said forget it. I care about the weight loss instead of the color on a pee stick.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote