View Poll Results: How should we compete?
Compete based on who loses the most weight 2 5.41%
Compete based on who loses the biggest % of their body weight 35 94.59%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default I need your opinion (GUYS TOO!!)

Since my life has been so crazy lately, I have been really off plan. Monday life returns to normal and I am back on plan. DH wants to lose a few lbs too, so we thought we start a 30 day challenge and see who wins. The prize is $50.00. But we can't decide how to compete because of the difference, not only in being male and female, but also because I am so much heavier. Here are the stats.

Me: 5'6 - 318
Him: 6'2 - 225

Part of me thinks that my being so much heavier and him being a guy with so much more muscle makes us kinda even, so we should just count the lbs.

But then, I wonder if maybe we should count % lost based on our current weights.

What do you think????
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:17 PM   #2  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Well, I know they do percentage of weight loss on The Biggest Loser. Let's see...If you both lost 3%, for instance, does this seem reasonable?

You: 9.54 pounds

Him: 6.75 pounds

To me, him losing the first bit would happen in the first week due to water weight loss. Hmmmmmm.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think percent of weight loss makes more sense, but don't know if that's really equivalent... I'd be interested in hearing what othesr say, in case my hubby and I ever decide to do such a thing (we are both just being very supportive of each other's losses...)
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #4  
Mel

I don't think either makes sense. I'd base it on a point system for behavior goals each day, such as 1 point for exercise, 1 point for each on plan meal, 1 point for water planned, etc. Be honest. That way you are rewarding healthy habits, rather than instant weightloss. In reality, you can lose more scale weight in the short term by super-low carbing and doing NO weighlifting, but it's not weight that's going to stay off very long, and you aren't going to look or feel very good.

Just my two cents

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

As usual, Mel has a good point and her two cents is worth much, much more.
However, basing the contest on % lost would probably be easier to monitor. Can you do both?
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #6  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Out of the two options above, I'd go with percentage of weight. Saying that, I like Mel's idea of a points system better. You already host the Points Challenge here....

I think it's great that you're both doing this together.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:39 PM   #7  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I think I have to agree with Mel about the points but that may not be the way your hubby wants to lose weight. My husband can drop lbs very quickly just by altering one or 2 things in his diet without drinking water or exercising. I would talk that one over with him first. Otherwise I would probably go with %.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #8  
Meg

Another vote for Mel's plan here. In the end, all we can control is our behavior, not how fast the weight comes off. And, like Mel said, those behavioral changes are the ones that will get you to goal and KEEP YOU THERE!

How about a big colorful posterboard wall chart, with boxes for each day and different color stars for each category? Maybe Jacob could be in charge of sticking on the stars and keeping track of the points?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #9  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

I'd never thought about a points system for tallying good habits. That sounds like a winner!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #10  
Mel

OK, I have another idea. This has been bothering me all day! You really don't want to be in competition with each other. You are each other's support system, and should be each other's biggest fan. Competition means that in the end, someone loses. But if you both lose weight, get healthier, improve your habits and sustain them, how can there possibly be a winner and a loser? You are both winners! Don't set up a situation where one has to lose for the other to win. And if you both are really competitive, would he/you stoop to bringing known trigger foods into the house and tempting the other? or saying "oh honey, you've had a long day, go lie down instead of going to the gym. It won't matter this once."

Here's a thought: don't make it a competition, but a collaboration. Put a dollar in the pot for each pound lost over the course of the month. It doesn't matter who loses the pound. Or use a behavior point system- that way you'll encourage each other instead of potentially sabotaging. Then at the end of the month, either split the pot evenly no matter who lost more (you are both winners, remember?) or use the money for something special that you both want. A night at a hotel ALONE without child?

My gut says that this is more sustainable than a competition where someone loses. Especially within a marriage. If I were the loser, I wouldn't be too thrilled to try to continue. I'd be pretty bummed that despite my best efforts, I was the loser.

I guess that's my 4 cents, since I put 2 in above

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #11  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I absolutely love the combination of Mel and Meg -- a collaborative effort with Jacob involved in the process! Make it a family affair!

I'm not very competitive by nature, so the idea of making it a cooperative venture really appeals to me.

Grand idea, MelMeg!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #12  
Crazy Canuck

Well, I AM very competitive by nature, so I'm taking a different tact here! Let's face it, neither of you are going to get to goal in one month anyway, so why don't you take it beyond a 30 day challenge and turn it into a challenge to the finish (or at least to a point where you're both healthy and fit ~ perhaps even to goal). Whoever is the "loser" after the first month, would hopefully be more motivated to "win" the next month (after a month of totally being on plan you'll both have lost weight and be pumped anyway). I know that would spur me on!

If one reaches the final point before the other, the "competition" needn't stop, because I think we agree maintaining is as challenging as losing. I certainly don't think a little healthy (and fun) competition between loving spouses is going to adversely affect a marriage, especially since you'd have a common goal. As for a "prize" at the end, how about you each throw into a big jar (on a daily basis) the money you'd normally be spending at places like Dunkin' Donuts? The resultant prize-money can then be used for something you both desire, seeing as you'd both be "da winners" at the end.

Its a great idea to get Jacob involved (perhaps he can make a personalized monthly "Winner's Certificate"). I'd be rooting for you both, of course, with a little extra cheer for Sandi to win the most monthly certificates!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Right now my husband and I are doing okay together, but I think he could really get into a system that rewards BEHAVIORS and/or weight loss. Excellent idea! This is why I LOVE this forum!

And to add my $.02 from the perspective of psychology, reward systems are typically highly motivating!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #14  

I have to agree with Mel on that one. I don't think weight loss should be a competition; especially between husband and wife!!

Some people can take this too seriously and endanger their healt. Maybe that's one of the reason i do not watch "the biggest looser"

The idea of 1 pound lost = 1$ in a pot is great. Maybe if you do this on a longer period, example 3 months; a good amount could be raised. Money that can be spent over a romantic dinner at the nicest restaurant in town.

I also think that at 6.2 225, your hubby does not need to loose that much.

Just my 2 cents
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:16 AM   #15  
One pound at a time...

I love Jill's idea about going past the 30 days and throwing money in the jar. I bet it will be a lot of fun to see that jar fill up!

Last edited by ChocLabLover; 03-06-2006 at 10:57 AM.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote