Old 02-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #1  
wip

Height: 5' 10"

Default Gentle exercise ideas?

Hi folks. Long time no post! I seem to have trouble getting on the computer at home these days. I had a little "aha" when I saw Sandi's post that she usually posts from work. We have a strict net monitoring policy and a super strong firewall. I haven't even tried. No time at work anyways.

OT - back to my question. I have been going to the Gym since the new year and gradually working up my program. I've been doing pretty good, getting into the habit of going. Then 10 days ago I hurt my back doing physio exercises for my knee!! Now I'm getting conflicting advice and am sliding back into bad habits and losing my good ones. My actual injury is to the insertion point of my hip flexor (hurts DEEP in my left glute and radiates across my low back). My chiropractor says movement is good, my buddy the gym owner and trainer says is worried I'll get into a cycle of injury if I don't let it heal fully. I can probably do some upper body work, but I know I need cardio. Any suggestions to keep me in the habit of excercise?
wip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:29 AM   #2  
35lbs gone by 5/14

S/C/G: 235/230/135

wip,
Does the gym have a pool? You could do upper body exercises in the pool and your lower body wouldn't be too stressed. Check with your trainer for some exercises you could do while you are healing. Best of luck to you.

Terina
katielab'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #3  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

If you want to avoid lower-body work, many gyms have arm-bicycles... like a bike machine, but with pedals for the arms rather than the legs. Mine did, anyway. Or try a chair-dancing video at home, and do resistance training at the gym. (To find chair-dancing videos, go to collagevideo.com and put "seated" in the search box)

If you want to limit your movement, but still move, I'd try gentle things like elliptical trainers, and see how that works. Different movements may stress you differently. If you can work on the elliptical (which is no-impact) you might be able to use the treadmill for walking, or do some swimming.

As to who you should listen to, your gym owner or your chiropractor... personally I'd go with "none of the above." Unless they are doctors of medicine or professionally licensed physical therapists, I'd look for a second opinion from someone else. Chiropractors are great for many things, but they focus on aligning. It's not always the same thing. And even a personal trainer in a gym may not know enough about your injury to give you sound advice.

I'd suggest you go to your doctor, or physical therapist, and see what they say.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:34 AM   #4  
One pound at a time...

Sherri, good to see you posting again! It is tough to excercise when you are injured, and your trainer is right to the fact that you may re-injure yourself if you push yourself too hard. Definately get a second opinion on your injury. Excercising in a pool is great as it puts little stress on your body. Listen to your body, though. If it hurts, don't do it. Maybe some low impact excercises.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote