Old 02-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #1  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Default How do you get the most *bang* for your calories?

This is a follow up to my post last week...

I'm looking for new ways. I've completely cut out anything that says 'High Fructose Corn Syrup' or 'Partially Hydrogenated ______ Oil' on the package, and I'm noticing that I'm eating much better food. I have to, or else I won't be able to eat anything.

But things still aren't keeping me full. I just I'm just not getting natural foods that are as 'dense' as processed foods. I've increased my calories - instead of aiming for 1300, I float somewhere between 1500 and 1800. I'm still hungry, though. I eat high fiber breads and pasta to bulk up, drink plenty of water and eat fiber rich veggies.

So, how do you get the most from your calories? What keeps you fuller, longer?

If this doesn't go away, I'm going to have to talk to a dietician. My doc said that I might have ruined my metabolism when I was 14, 15, 16 years old (I was severely anorexic) and that I'd have to take meds to fix it. I'm wondering if it fixed itself, because I always had a very fast metabolism before that. That's the only reason I can see needing to eat so much every day just to stay satisfied.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #2  

Wink

I have an enormous appetite and if I don't eat a lot tend to go off my diet.
Who wants to be hunry all the time? The best way I have found to stave off the hunger pangs is to make sure I eat plenty of protein. I find the a chicken breast or 3-4 oz turkey breast keep me full for a long time. Plus I make sure that my snacks are protein too. (Of course I eat plenty of veggies too.)
jrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I make dishes with beans in them to keep me full, like red beans and rice, and turkey chili.

Big salads with some protein foods, including things like: cheese (esp feta), chicken, tuna fish, salmon, pork, chick peas. I'm learning I'll put about anything in a salad! (I actually now make salads without any dressing -- at home I put the ingredients in a big ziploc bag and toss! I usually add a vinaigrette of balsamic vinegar and mustard and toss in a little black pepper as well...)

I eat more fruit now too -- the fiber helps keep me full.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:42 PM   #4  

I third the protein/fiber idea. But, take a look at your fat intake as well and make sure it isn't too low. While protein and fiber keeps our appetite at bay for longer, fat helps us to feel satisfied for longer. IMO, we being satisfied is as important as being full. Of course, the KIND of fat we consume is important - think nuts, olive oil, etc. When we start watching our calorie count fat is usually the first to go (intentionally or not). and it really can make a difference in how we feel over all.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:44 AM   #5  
movin' it to loose it

S/C/G: 234/230/134 BMI:35.6/35.4/20.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari
This is a follow up to my post last week...

So, how do you get the most from your calories? What keeps you fuller, longer?
Protein, protein, protein. I've found that not only can I eat larger quantities of protein for the same caloric content as a smaller serving of carbs, it fills me up for much, much longer. (I'm not advocating a low carb diet...just sugesting we don't forget the benefits of LEAN protein!)

My favorite mid-day snack? A can of tuna (6.5 ounces), a can of greenbeans, with 1 tbsp. of Lite Done Rite Italian dressing drizzled over the mixture. It really tastes much better than it first sounds!! And it keeps me going until dinner time and keeps me from over eating at dinner, too!

Anyways, just my tip Sure there are lots more out there...just gotta find what works for you!
fouripleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:00 AM   #6  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Protein

I was told by my chiropractor (I know, not a nutritionist, but a very fit and healthy woman I have a good rapport with) to make sure I have protein in the morning/for breakfast to keep your blood-sugar regulated throughout the day (instead of the "spikes" associated with sugary stuff). She suggested peanut-butter on wheat toast. I'm not a peanut-butter or wheat-bread person, but I have an RTD-51 protein shake for breakfast, and it gets me through most of the day without any cravings. (Close to bedtime is a different matter, but then I just try to drink lots of water and then pee it out before I go to sleep).

--Janis
busker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:10 PM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

I agree with what everyone else says.. Protein is a definite must as well as making sure that you eat fat. Also, try to spread out your calories through out the day. Have a snack in the morning and in the afternoon. Some days I'm not hungry enough to have a snack, but other days -- YIKES! I want food!!

Kimberly
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #8  
Tori

S/C/G: 166/153/140

Height: 5'4"

I found this to be true also. For instance, yesterday at lunch I had 2 extra lean hamburger patties and a large salad all for about 300 calories and I actually stayed satisfied longer and was able to maintain a decent deficit for the day.

I did the same today for lunch except I had leftover cabbage this time.

Tori
tori34 is offline   Reply With Quote