Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Default The 3 Day - 60 mile breast cancer walk

Hi, Is anybody else participating in the 2006 3 Day? I am planning to walk in the Tampa Bay 3-Day October 13-15, 2006. If there's a group of ladies here who are participating, I thought we could come together and support each other in our goal to walk 60 miles!

If you're interested in participating, check out www.the3day.org
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #2  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Hi, I'm doing crew for the Michigan 3 Day. This will be my 3rd time. Once as a walker, and going to be twice on crew. Have you done this before. You're going to have a blast. GOOD LUCK!!!
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #3  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for posting this. I think it will be another year off for me, but I would love to do this when I get closer to my goal. I lost both my mother and grandmother to breast cancer so it is a cause very near to my heart.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:38 PM   #4  

I'm incredibly interested in doing this, but I'm scared about the fundraising. It brings back back memories of high school band and selling magazine subscriptions!! Is anyone else concerned about the fundraising portion? How will you go about getting that much cash?
iowasteph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:36 PM   #5  

iowasteph2 - Don't let the fundraising stop you. You can do it!!!! Here's my plan....

1. Write letters to anybody who I've ever met! I'm going to encourage "tribute" donations by enclosing a pink ribbon with instructions to write the person's name who they wish to honor on the ribbon and mailing it back to me with their donation. Then, I will wear all of the tribute ribbons on my shirt while walking. I figure this will mean more to people than just writing a check, and may encourage more people to give.
2. Hold a book sale. I am a member of a great book club and we all have tons of books at home collecting dust. I am gathering books from my book club friends and plan to hold a book sale.
3. Car wash!!!
4. I'm going to try to place donation jars on the counters of local coffee shops.
5. My husband's company matches 100% of employee donations to any charity, so I'm going to heavily solicit his co-workers for donations and then help them process the paperwork to get a full match from their employer.

tofat - This will be my first 3-day and I'm sooo excited!
Old 02-14-2006, 08:07 AM   #6  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

iowa steph-don't let the fundraising stop you. Genesis offered some great ideas. You could also try:
-a garage sale
-a raffle (lots of crafters are willing to donate items for you to raffle off)
-neighborhood businesses usually are willing to support
The 3 day website also has more great suggestions as well as a forum to get more fundraising ideas.

Genesis-I think I'm hooked on the 3 day. I look forward to it more every year
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:19 PM   #7  

Nancy - I encourage you to try the 3-Day even before you get close to goal. They have ample support to assist you during the walk. Women of all shapes and sizes participate in the walk. And what a fabulous incentive to get in shape! Whatever you decide, good luck!