Old 02-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Tofu Noodles anyone?

I purchased the January "Your Diet" magazine and the cover mentioned something about a 40 calorie bowl of noodles. What? I read the article last night and apparently you can buy (at Amazon) these Shirataki tofu noodles. They have two shapes, fettucine and spaghetti. Eight ounces has 40 calories. That is a HUGE bowl of noodles. It comes in an 8 oz. package for $1.99. The shipping is outrageous: $10.91. Why? Because the noodles need to be refrigerated, they ship them with expediated shipping. I bought them anyhow because I want to taste them. If I like them, I may buy a larger quantity. I went out to the company's website and these noodles are available in stores in California, Colorado, Iowa, New Hampshire, New York and Texas. The company name is House Foods America Corp.

So... I'll post back when they arrive and we eat them. I hope they are good. I LOVE noodles.

Kimberly
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #2  
Movin on down the scale

There was a post here about them too...so you should search the brand name here. Some said they like them some said NO WAY....but I am curious about them too, but to scared to order..lol
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #3  

Cool! I did a search and came up with this post:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ight=Shirataki

I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Kimberly
Old 02-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #4  

I eat these all the time and will never buy pasta again.

40 calories a bag and you're stuffed.

I live in So CA. and we have them everywhere. I have an asian market near me and find it the cheapest there - $1.25 per bag and worth every penny.

I've tried other brands and nothing compares to the House Brand. I use their Tofu Shirataki spaghetti and Fettucine cuts.

Don't be put off by the fishy odor when you open the bag - I think this is just a seaweed additive they use. Just rinse in cold water, parboil for 2 minutes, drain and use like pasta.

This stuff is incredible. I'm glad it's finally catching on, thanks to HungryGirl.com
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #5  

I'll have to check the Asian markets in Fargo tomorrow. That would be cool if they did. Thanks for the tip about not breathing when I open the bag.

Kimberly
Old 02-09-2006, 02:24 PM   #6  

Joycelyn,

Do they have an obvious different taste when used in dishes?

I've never had tofu but anything filling and low cal grabs my attention.
1dayatatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #7  

To me they taste just like spaghetti. They're flavorless like pasta and soak up whatever flavor sauce you put on them.

Check out hungrygirl.com for a great fettucine recipe.
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:56 PM   #8  

I wonder if our stores have any tofu noodles in a different brand and if they would taste okay. I'll look tomorrow. I'm a frugal nut and I just can't bring myself to pay that much shipping.
1dayatatime is offline   Reply With Quote