Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #1  

Default Maintaining during extreme stress

My 13 y.o. son is in the hospital and will be there for quite some time. A very scary and sad time for our family.

I am working hard on the self-care, continuing to exercise, drink water, talk to friends and family, watch dumb comedies, whatever works.

I want to be careful that I don't use this crisis as an excuse to lose control of my eating. I am still eating good breakfasts and dinners--mid-day can be tough depending on if I visited the hospital and feel shaky.

Advice and suggestions?

Thank you!
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #2  
Determined

I'm not in maintenance yet (obviously) but have been through a similar experience. My son was in the ICU so I only left to get fresh clothes every few days throughout. What I did during was just eat as healthy as possible (wasn't hungry so it wasn't too hard) and do as much walkiing around the hospital as I could. If you don't mind me asking, what is wrong with your son? How long do they think he'll stay? I'm sorry for your hard time.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Elana, first off to you! Not a maintainer at present (have been, and will be again!) but I was in your position, though it was my DH who was sick. I found that food was something I could control when the rest of my life was beyond my control. You've worked hard to get where you are, and you deserve to stay there, to take care of yourself. Best wishes.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Ask someone else to help you. Give them a grocery list and let them pick up some healthy snacks and foods and remind you to eat (appropriately).
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:38 AM   #5  

Elana,

So sorry to hear of your troubles, I wish you and your family all the best. Meanwhile, it sounds like you are keeping things together very well. My only suggestion is to find something to do with your hands that occupies your mind while you are spending so much time in the hospital - crossword puzzles, simple cross-stitch or a great novel. I agree with all of what Meg said, the best thing you can do is try to find other coping mechanisms besides food. And if you do have a mishap and turn to food for comfort, do not berate yourself, just move on and have something healthy for your next meal.

We're all thinking of you! Take Care.
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:42 PM   #6  

He was doing much better today and we had a nice visit. Lots of generous friends have brought dinners for us, and I specified low-fat, high vegetable, high fiber food. It helps--we got chilis, a wonderful veggie curry, squash soup, the list goes on.

My quads. were too sore for kickboxing today but I will walk this afternoon and lift tomorrow.

Thank you, everyone, for your prayers and good wishes.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #7  
doinitin2006

S/C/G: 202/157.2/132

Height: 5'6"

All of the above is valuable beyond measure. ...to add my 2 cents. Surround yourself with nurturing, supportive people and if anyone shifts your balance with any negative energy then ask them to leave or limit your exposure to them. People can mean well but if they aren't helping then decide if you need to be strong for your son and you or for them. And come to the boards for support. Prayers to you and your family, L
doinitin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote