Old 02-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #1  
Step AWAY from the Cake!

S/C/G: 230/220/145

Default Anyone taking supplements?

Question for you all-- anyone here take supplements? I've heard that fish oil (Omega 3) and flaxseed oil capsules are good for you. But I don't know which one, if any, to take! Anyone have any suggestions, or know anything about the benefits or downfalls?
ncola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #2  

If you mean to aid weight-loss, then I dunno..... Though once I was taking bee pollen as a natural caffiene source (exam time), they also speed up your metabolism a bit so I noticed a little unusual weight loss..

Otherwise, definitely take your calcium... Your body stops effectively absorbing and storing calcium after the age of 24 (dietician says so). Right now I'm taking a multivitamin plus 1000 iu's of calcium...
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:08 PM   #3  
Step AWAY from the Cake!

S/C/G: 230/220/145

Thanks!

I don't think I'd really rely on the supplement for weight loss, but in the South Beach Diet book, the author (Dr. I-forget-his-name) says he takes fish oil capsule for Omega 3, bc that's supposed to be really good for you.

By the way, isn't Britomart a character in the Fairey Queen? Is that where you got it, or am i just completely off?
ncola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:56 PM   #4  
Determined

Not for weight loss, but for general health I use them. I use the Super Omega Complex from Wal-mart. It has the omega 3s and 6s in the right ratios. They're pretty inexpensive, about 6 dollars a bottle.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:08 PM   #5  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Yes, I don't take anything specifically for weight loss--but general health since I know my diet is far from perfect (esp. since I'm restricting calories).

Fish oil is better than flaxseed, but flaxseed (and walnuts) are a good alternative for omega-3s if you're vegetarian.

I also take CLA, CoQ 10 & Calcium -- on top of my multivitamin. I think I'll stop the CLA though once I'm through with this bottle, though.

One thing about calcium--you need to take it 2 times a day-- as your body can only absorb about 50% of RDA a sitting.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Yea I would look into the vitamin multipacks that includes other supplements so you know you are taking them as intended. Here are the ones my husband and I take:
Mine: http://shop.nutritionexpress.com/pro...9-105-90&Add=N
His: http://shop.nutritionexpress.com/pro...m=94-609&Add=N

His actually includes both fish and flaxseed oils.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:54 PM   #7  

i didn't like the way the fish oil capsules went down. i felt like my breath smelled and they kinda made me sick. i eat plenty of salmon though, so hopefully i'm getting enough.

i take a multivitamin, b12, and psyllium husk.
chicagoposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:40 PM   #8  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

I take multivitamins. I also work for a Health Supplement Company.

If you are interested we have a great Omega 3 product, and no fish smell or taste whatsover. It's my favorite, I can really tell if I don't take it. It helps keep me focused and helps my vision also- REally it does, I'm not just saying that because I work there.

If you are interested in our products. IM me and I will give you our website to order.
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #9  
Mom to an active 1 yr old

S/C/G: 175/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'8

I take a general vitamin for weight control....its not a diet pill its a vitamin that keeps your metablism up and has all the nutrients
Alaynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:39 PM   #10  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

2 cents: It's way better to eat real flax seed, you can put it on your cereal or in a shake. As far as omega's, just make sure it's a reputable brand. It's always better to actually eat it than take a suppliment, but just do some research. The FDA doesn't regualate suppliments, so you have to be careful.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:42 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncola
By the way, isn't Britomart a character in the Fairey Queen? Is that where you got it, or am i just completely off?
Haha, yep, that's where I got the name. I'm kind of in love with Edmund Spenser, but that's me being an English major!
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #12  
12 pounds lost in 2006

Definitely you should be taking a daily multi-vitamin. Make sure you're getting all your nutrients
mocha74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #13  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking

I also take multivitamins and fish oil. Because I am afraid I don’t get enough vegetables and fish in my diet. Or your can take flaxseed instead of fish oil. But that is really just general health. I don’t take anything to help speedup weight loss. I have tried using caffeine to speed up my metabolism. What I found was that my heart was beating a lot faster; I lost appetite and feel edgy all day. Definitely not good!
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote