The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-03-2006, 12:38 PM   #1  

Default Protein Shakes on Jillians Program

Hi,
Was just wondering if anybody has tried protein drinks on Jills program to get their protein level up?
Thanks,
Mel
X
Old 02-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #2  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Hi ....I have been mixing my own protein shakes(1-2 aday). I bought a huge container of whey protein and mixing it with some fresh peaches and milk. I throw it all in a blender and it froths it up like a milkshake. I love it!! I also am using a scoop of protein powder,baking cocoa powder and milk (no fruit) for a change. The fruit adds carbohydrates, so it depends on how my day is going if I add some or not. The protein for the whey powder is 22 grams. Lots of protein powder varies though.....and there is also soy protein powder. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:38 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I've got a big can of whey protein powder as well....I add a half a scoop sometimes to yogurt. Or I make shakes with Sugar free lemonade or orangeade with ice. I also make protein bars with it - I got the recipe from this site . They are pretty good and easy to make.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #4  

Thanks guys!
I brought some Whey Protein yesterday and am loving it
Can i ask, ya know the protein bars recipe you put up, is 250 for the whole tray or for one bar? Thanks.
Mel
X
Old 02-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #5  

one bar....I redid the numbers for the ones I made because different protein powders have different calorie counts. Mine come out to 307 calories, I often make the pan come out to 16 bars. They are more manageable as snacks at 154 cals. I just bought a different protein powder at Trader Joes that has less cals, I haven't tried it yet.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #6  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

hey....that's great to know. I'll have to try making these. Thanks Chick!!
Old 02-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #7  

Thanks chick

Does anyone know if you can have too many protein shakes in a day? I do weights 4 times a week if possible and do swimming for my cardio due to arthritis, try for about twice weekly. I had 3 shakes today tho, is it just going to turn into fat?

Thanks guys
Old 02-06-2006, 11:50 PM   #8  

I don't think so much that it will turn into fat - my concern is that you might be getting too much of your daily calories from processed food...I am a big fan of variety being the spice of life. For me, that many protein shakes over a long period of time would make me really sick of protein shakes...try and find things that you can keep up long term...what works for you.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #9  
Tekken-Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat
I don't think so much that it will turn into fat - my concern is that you might be getting too much of your daily calories from processed food.
Not to mention a decent amount of calories (and yeah, carbs), depending on what you're mixing it with. I checked the label of a thing of 'whole' milk the other day and there's something like 13g carb/sugar per serving. I had always thought that 'low-carb' milk was sort of pointless, but I guess not.

I don't find anything wrong with the shakes, especially if you're having a hard time getting enough protein in your diet, but I would be conscious of everything that's going in, and work it into your diet.