Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Default What am I doing wrong?

I began my diet right after the first of January. I walk 5 days per week, from 2.5 to 5 miles per day at a pace of about 4 miles per hour (with my 2 labradors who require man-handling at times!). I watch what I eat, low fat, low carb, lots of veggies, medium on the protein, lots of water and I cut out all alcohol except for 2 glasses once a week of red wine. I eat about 1400-1800 calories per day and I don't drink regular soda (diet soda about 3 days per week only).
So, I've lost 5 pounds, but nothing for the past 2 weeks. I'm starting to lose my patience! Any suggestions?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:40 PM   #2  

Don't stop what you are doing!!! It has only been 3 weeks, it could be water gain or something like that. Actually, 5 lbs is pretty good for 3 weeks. It takes a loooooong time for the body to change its metabolism due to exersize.... months.
chrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Five pounds is very good for 3 weeks. How do you calculate your calories? Do you have an accounta t fitday?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:02 PM   #4  

After I posted, I realized I did forget a few things. Yes, I have a fitday.com account and I record all my food and activities (although I just joined it a couple of days ago because I didn't know about it until then).

I am 42, female, married, have 2 kids (15 and 11) and am currently unemployed (by choice--going back in April). I am pretty active although I love to read. My weight has almost always been in the 160-165 range, but 10 years ago, I managed to get down to 128 and stayed close to that for 4 years, then it slowly came back and it finally dawned on me that I need to get back down. I don't want 128 because I felt too skinny (I'm 5'8").

I have always eaten a very healthy diet. My biggest downfall was red wine (I simply LOVE it). I would easily drink 3 glasses per night, and they were not small glasses. I know that is bad and empty calories, and when I lost last time, the key to the weight loss was cutting out the wine. So I figured it would work this time, but not like last time.

I guess my doctor was right--I'm older and it is harder to lose. If only I had listened to him 5 years ago! I am basically following his advice--stay away from white foods and walk at least 10 minutes per day. I have to say the white thing is very hard--I'm a die-hard carb fan. But, I can stay away from sweet things and desserts without a problem. If I feel I need something, a small bowl of ice cream usually satisfies me for about 2 or 3 months. I think I got this way from the last time I lost weight.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:52 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell

I guess my doctor was right--I'm older and it is harder to lose.
Aww that's crazy. I'm 42 and have lost almost 80 pounds. I know a woman in her 50's that dropped herself from 190-something to 130.

I'm not saying it's easier (or harder) for some than it is for others. But if you watch your calories and take in less than your body needs, the weight will come off
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #6  
LLV

And to be honest, just watching what I was eating wasn't enough for me. Even though I was eating healthy, I was still taking in more calories than my body needed. Once I kept with fitday and learned the calories I needed to take in to lose, the weight started coming off.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:26 PM   #7  

You're doing just fine Allison and you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. If you want some help picking away at your diet, you can post a link to your fitday and we'll have a look.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:27 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
You're doing just fine Allison and you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. If you want some help picking away at your diet, you can post a link to your fitday and we'll have a look.
I agree, I think 5 pounds is awesome. And a major inspiration to keep going
Old 01-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #9  

Thanks for all the votes of confidence! I'm down 1/2 a pound today, so all is well. I'll just work a little harder.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:28 PM   #10  

I had a friend who was eating very minimal protien in her diet and got to a stand still in her weight loss, as soon as she added a little more protien to her diet the pounds started coming off again- don't know if this is the case for you or not but may be worth a try
jstalaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:03 AM   #11  

Protein! Yes!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:57 AM   #12  
Losing for Life!

I too agree you must get enough protien, it is recommended at least 3 ounces of protien 3 times a day. Also how hard is your work out or walk? Are you breathing heavy? If you exercise too hard you don't burn fat just sugar so maybe that could have a bit to do with it? Exercise more often less vigorously and you will burn more fat.
Sheri~C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #13  

Yesterday's walk (4.3 miles in 1 hour and 10 minutes) is a lot of uphill and I jogged for two sections and walked at a very fast pace for at least half of the walk.
I'll take your advice and add more protein and see what happens.
Thanks!

Old 01-26-2006, 03:10 PM   #14  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

Your doing fine and your losing what your body will allow.
The first month always breaks a person give yourself a good couple months and make sure your doing what you should be doing and it will come inline.
The weight didnt creep on in a month and it will take time as well to take it off.
If at all possible I would give up the wine all together.
Alcohol is just not a good part of weight loss, because it doesnt help it hurts.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #15  

What's really freaky is that the day after I have had my 1 or 2 glasses of wine is the day I see a weight loss. No wine now for 6 days, and my weight has not budged (well, I was down 1/2 a pound on Tuesday, but it came back on Wednesday and won't retreat).
But I'm not giving up. I walked 4.3 miles two days in a row (3 miles a day the previous 2 days). I hope I'll get out there today, but have to get my hair done (priorities--my roots are showing!). I've also decided that this weekend, I am going to pore over my various diet books and diet cookbooks and come up with some family-friendly dinners.