Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 08:58 PM   #1  

Default New to the site.

Hi, my name is Chris. I am new to the site. I am married to a southern baptist preacher and have two children ages six and three. I have been overweight a good portion of my life, but after my second child was born, I began to get it under control through the help of weight watchers. I even became a leader for the group. A year and a half ago my husband decided to go back to school in New Orleans for a PHd.

Once we moved there I started gaining weight. I didn't go back to weight watchers and I began putting weight back on. Last year, we moved just north of the coast of Mississippi for my husband to preach at a church that was close enough to the seminary to still work on his degree.

As you know in August we were hit by a terrible hurricane. We lost almost everything we owned and lived for 11 weeks in a broken camper. The stove didn't work so we ate out every meal during that time. Finally we moved to a temporary house until my husband can find another church. As you can imagine through stress (and probably feeling sorry for myself) I put on even more weight.

January 1, 2006 I decided that my weight is the only thing in my life that I can control right now. I began a diet January 2. I decided not to return to weight watchers but to attempt to do this on my own. So far so good. I am down 10 lbs with 17 more to go.

I stumbled on the site by accident then was pleased to see that there was a faith based section. I am in need of some good christian fellowship during this difficult time in my life.

Thank you for listening.

PS All of my posts won't be this long.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:32 PM   #2  
Redeemed Red

Hi Chris,

My name is Kirsten and I just joined this site by accident. I was online looking for weight watchers recipes and stumbled on to it. So far it looks like it might be a useful tool in my weight loss. I am 32 years old. Married to Michael and mother of Madison 5 and Rebekah 4. We live outside of Buffalo, NY and believe it or not we have no snow right now! We attend Falconer First Baptist Church where we are members. We help with worship and just started leading a small youth group.

I have been a Christian for about 20 years now. I got saved at a Christian music festival called Kingdom Bound at a Mylon LeFevre concert when I was 12. Over the last 20 years I've seen my entire family come to the Lord. My husband and I have a Contemporary Christian band called Abandon. We write a lot of our own praise and worship songs. Music is a big part of my life.

My husband and I joined Weight Watchers on December 1 (my birthday). So far I have lost 15 pounds and he has lost 34. I love the program and the meetings. I was terrified of going to the meetings, but have discovered that I really love them and even look forward to going every week.

I have been heavy most of my life. Never this big, but have always struggled with my weight. Having children and having post partem depression really added to my weight gain. I'm tall and wear my weight well, so have gotten away with thinking I don't need to loose that much weight because I don't look like I weigh that much. I've since discovered that I want to honor the Lord with my eating. My weight reflects that I'm not surrendered at all and need to give Him the control.

I'm sorry to hear of your struggles after the hurricane. I praise God He kept your family safe and intact and is in the process of planting you right where He wants you. I will pray that your husband finds a wonderful church home to Pastor.

If you would like to be buddies I would love that. I'm accountable to God and my husband, but would love to have a female perspective for encouragement and friendship.

God bless you...
Kirsten
Old 01-23-2006, 04:18 PM   #3  

Default Thank you

Hi Kirsten,

Thanks for writing. How exciting that you are doing so well. Keep up the good work. I love weight watchers and think that it is the best diet out there. I will pray for your continued success. I have added Walk Away the Pounds to my day. Have you ever heard of it? It is inside walking. It is very low impact but with the weights it packs a lot of punch.

I don't really care for the music but Leslie Sansone is great and super motivational. I also like the fact that everyone in the video isn't super skinny and they wear clothes instead of exercising half naked!!

Anyway, I started it on the 4th of January. I am still only doing the one mile, but I added weights Jan. 9. That was work even going only a mile. It takes about twenty minutes to do. It is amazing the difference that three weeks has made.... My arms are starting to show muscle and I have some room in the seat of my jeans

So if you are looking for some activity points and haven't tried it already, it is worth a try.

Have a great day and keep me posted on how the weight loss goes. I love hearing other's stories.

Chris
Old 01-23-2006, 05:46 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Hi Chris and Kirsten ~~ why don't you join us at Christian Encouragers 211
Old 01-23-2006, 11:26 PM   #5  
Redeemed Red

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying! I too love Weight Watchers! I love that I can eat anything, no foods off limits, portion control is the key. I have heard of Walk Away the Pounds, but haven't tried it. I just started walking the last 2 1/2 weeks as we've had no snow. I'm averaging about 2 miles walking moderately fast and am noticing my pants getting looser, especially in the legs. I really enjoy walking and will try and look into the Walk Away the Pounds DVD. It would be great to do it inside as we're slated for 4 inches of snow over the next 2 days and I probably won't be able to walk for a while. I call my walks my prayer walks, as I try and pray while I'm walking. That is if I don't have my 2 little ones and the dog with me! We have a Bowflex, but my husband has failed to show me how to operate it and to be honest the thing scares me. I'm terrified of breaking it or hurting myself. Hopefully he will show me how to use it properly.

I must go to sleep now. I've been reading the book "Jesus Freaks" by DC Talk. A book about modern day martyrs. It is captivating. I've been plugging away at Foxes Book of Martyrs , my pastor gave it to me for Christmas, but the old english is a little hard to swallow. I bought the DC Talk book for an easier read. I guess I'm cheating...God forgive me!

Have a wonderful day and thanks again for responding...

God bless!
Kirsten
Old 01-23-2006, 11:27 PM   #6  
Redeemed Red

Whoops,

Gary, thanks for the invite. I will try and check it out tomorrow!

God bless!
Kirsten
Old 02-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Camomom and welcome to the site! Wow, what a rough time you have had! We have at least two things in common.... I too am a Christian and I too prefer to develop my own healthful plan rather than join a program. I know HOW to do it; just need to stick with it. This site is tremendously encouraging and it is great to be able to share with others. I was here before but have just recently returned after a long time away. Unfortunately I am at my highest weight ever... well except for the 8 pounds I have just lost!! I had a thyroid tumor and half of the thyroid removed in 04 so that sure didn't help any! But we must never give up... I join you in getting back at it!!! Hang in there!! Did you see the Christian Encouragers thread? It's a neat one you might enjoy.

Dance
Old 02-19-2006, 04:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 258/233/170

Height: 5' 4.5"

I'm pretty new around this site as well; anyone mind if I jump in?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #9  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Jenn... great to have you here! Join right in!
Closed Thread