100 lb. Club - My Scale Was Wrong

View Full Version : My Scale Was Wrong

newfiedarling
01-16-2006, 08:20 AM
I've kinda suspected it for quite a while, but now it's confirmed. My scale is off by 5 pounds, and not for the better! :cry: I just spent an hour changing the numbers on my weightloss chart and in Fitday to show the 5-pound difference. :(

I know that I've still lost the same amount of weight (as a matter of fact I reached the 60-pound mark this morning) but it still feels like I've taken a couple of steps backwards. It seemed like I loomed in the low 180s forever and when I finally thought I had made it over the hurdle, I'm right back there again.

Scales are evil things :devil:

~Dee

Jen415
01-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Man, that stinks! How did you find out it was wrong?

newfiedarling
01-16-2006, 08:34 AM
Man, that stinks! How did you find out it was wrong?

Well...anytime I used a scale other than my own the reading was way up. I kept telling myself that it was because I had on clothes or because it was the middle of the day and I always weigh first thing in the morning. So finally on the weekend I decided to test out my theory and put a 25lb weight on it and it was off, it only read 20 pounds. So off I went to buy a new scale and when I tried out all of the ones that were on display at the store they all agreed with each other. Now I'm the pround owner of a digital model that reads in .5 pound increments.

sabriena
01-16-2006, 08:40 AM
My scale did that to me before too... I hated it when I found out. Turned out the battery was dying! So it was showing that I lost 6lbs and I knew it was wrong.

At least you bought a new scale that's working for the better now :D

Charbar
01-16-2006, 08:51 AM
that would suck. be glad it's in the past now.

Heather
01-16-2006, 09:15 AM
I know my scale is wrong by about 5 pounds, but haven't had the heart to buy another and reset the numbers. At least I know it's reliable, that is, ALWAYS off by the same amount!

Kamily828
01-16-2006, 09:45 AM
That bites! :devil:

I always weighed at my moms house. I refused to buy a scale. I knew I would weigh myself every 5 minutes. But her scale is old and way off! So I decided to give a new scale a try. I have a new digital one. I weigh every morning and thats it.

Nori71
01-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Evil scale! At least now you know the truth. I also have a digital scale that does the .5. Do you round up or down for your ticker here?:D

I weigh every morning and thats it.I'm DONE with weighing every morning now!:dizzy: :dizzy: ONCE A WEEK, ON MONDAY MORNINGS! Yesterday I weighed 256 and today 257. If I hadn't known yesterdays weight, I'd be super happy with todays weight. But instead, I'm obsessing...I know I didn't gain a pound yesterday (duh!)...but why, oh why does the scale do this to me?

OK, over it! Moving on. I know I'll hit 256 sometime this week...

jillybean720
01-16-2006, 10:49 AM
I'm DONE with weighing every morning now!:dizzy: :dizzy:
Heh, I weigh every day...you've just got to remember to roll with the punches. I only count my weight as "official" once a week, but I hop on every morning anyway just to see. I think it's interesting that it can be off by a couple pounds from one day to the next even if I stuck to my calories--it actually has helped to show me how UNIMPORTANT the numbers on the scale are so I focus on my clothing fit and general feeling of health instead :)

FS72
01-16-2006, 11:19 AM
You said it, you still lost the same amount of pounds its only the number thats different. Hang in there! Your still doing great!!

Felicia

unheardkoala
01-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Been there, done that, exept mine was 15lbs talk about a big downer to find out that instead of 295 when I started I was actully 310 that was enough to send me into a depression but it also got me back on track. Be proud of losing 60lbs your doing great.....

barbygirl43
01-16-2006, 12:12 PM
When you get to goal you can say you lost 5 more pounds than what you originally would've thought. You'll have those "new" 5 pounds gone in no time and this will be a distant memory in your weight loss journey.

Kamily828
01-16-2006, 12:24 PM
I also have a digital scale that does the .5. Do you round up or down for your ticker here?:D

My weight was an even number when I updated my ticker...which I do once a week on Saturday. Im just nosey and want to check my weight every day.

ScarlettDrawl
01-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Can I say, huge congrats on LOSING 60 POUNDS!

newfiedarling
01-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the support everyone - I think I'm over it, but it certainly was a blow first when I found out!

~Dee

heather_dw
01-16-2006, 01:14 PM
I just bought a scale this weekend,.. I am so mad because it gives me a different weight each time I step on...

Now I'm wondering how I am going to keep track of weight with this crazy scale..

I'm thinking about weighing until it gives me the same number twice,..LOL

famograham
01-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Aww, Dee..I so know what you're going through!!!
Check this out from the summer when I got my new scale!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60092&highlight=scale+blues

I'm sending you :hug: for this bummer of a day...and MEGA congratulations for your 60 pounds to date!
It'll be OK..I promise.

Love ya!
:hug:
Linda

Miaka
01-16-2006, 02:32 PM
I found recently that my scale was off also. It was off 3lb the good way, but at least it is consistant. The amount of the weight I wanted to loss didn't change, so I had to change my goal weight. Bottom line is that it doesn't really change things much.

LivingWater
01-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Just found out mine was wrong too. And I'm alot heavier than I thought! :eek: :cry: Well, at least I know that I need a new one...

newfiedarling
01-16-2006, 02:57 PM
I see lots of people have had or are having the same problem. Thanks for the support everyone. I know it's just numbers but it takes a little while to adjust.

~Dee

Nori71
01-16-2006, 03:21 PM
I just bought a scale this weekend,.. I am so mad because it gives me a different weight each time I step on...

Now I'm wondering how I am going to keep track of weight with this crazy scale..

I'm thinking about weighing until it gives me the same number twice,..LOLI'd have to return that one! Is your floor level? I know in one house I lived in depending on where in the bathroom the scale was it would be 1-2 pounds off.