UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:34 PM   #1  

Default Shoes

For me this isn't really a weight related problem I just have crap feet but I know for alot of people it is so I thought I'd ask here.

I have really really wide feet. They are just ridiculously wide they are about a G width fitting I used to have to order in shoes when I was a kid because they'd never have them in store, anyway I just can't get shoes anywhere its so frustrating. I spent a couple of years determined to fit into shoes but its just made my feet worse so I only get ones that fit really well now.

The only places I can possibly get shoes are the kids department in Clarks because they do proper width fittings luckily I'm only a 3 1/2 - 4 so I can get trainers that fit and they do the odd pair of stylish flat shoes for older kids so I can get flats from there.

Evans are my life saver they do really good wide shoes and boots in their essence range so I have going out shoes from there and all my knee high boots are from there but it isn't cheap I tend to have to go on ebay or in the sales so its difficult to get what I want. Its also a pain that they don't do 3 1/2 or 3s because I think they would fit slightly better but they start at a 4 and then you quite often have to order those in because they don't stock many.

Or the shoe tailor i can get office shoes from there their EE fitting is a bit on the snug side but EEE is too big on the back its like they make them slightly larger all over. But its really annoying having to wait for shoes anyway when you need them for a function or anything.

Does anyone else have this problem I know my friend said that when she was bigger she had far wider feet and they swelled up easily then when she lost the weight her shoe size went down.

Anyone know of any other stockists of wider shoes. Next do a wide fitting range but they aren't wide enough for me. M&S also do. I had to get some shoes from there for graduation because I couldn't find any shoes anywhere that were ok I looked for about a month. But they weren't that brilliant the wide 4s weren't wide enough so I had to go for a 4 1/2 and then wear insoles and party feet to get them to fit on the length.

Any suggestions?

I've got bunion like things on my feet despite the fact mum paid a fortune getting me properly fitted shoes when I was a kid so I'll have to get them done one day and hopefully that will alleviate the problem a bit but its such a pain.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:37 AM   #2  

That must be a nuisance. I love boots, but I find them impossible, I have normal width feet, but huge calves. I am wearing Evans extra wide fitting, but I can feel my feet shift in them, it's a pain! I do hope my calves get normal one day!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I'm not much help, especially since I'm in US (sorry for lurking on your board!), but I do share your pain! I can NEVER find any dress shoes that fit me. I spend weeks and weeks looking before Christmas for some. Even wide tennis shoes are too tight and hurt my feet until they are really broken in. You can always see like an overhang on the outside of the shoe once they shape to my feet. I've never had a pair of nice boots either because I can never get my feet in through the opening, even with zippers.

Anyway, no help here, just wanted to let you know I share your frustration!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #4  

No need to apologise Stacy all are welcome.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #5  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I have a similar problem but at the other end of the size range - wide and long feet. I also have a fat mis-shapen ankle which can make boots tricky. For trainers I always end up getting mens (at the running shop on Saturday they actually had more womens 9s than mens 9s for the first time ever, but I ended up getting mens because they gave me more width). I still rely on Evans quite a lot.

I really hoped that my feet would get smaller as I lost, and I do thin that they might have done a little. I can sometimes fit in shoes from normal shops now which makes me so happy.

My main problem now is that if I get Evans boots they fit my feet but gape horribly round my calves. Still, at least it makes me feel good about my calves
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:23 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by YP1
I have a similar problem but at the other end of the size range - wide and long feet. I also have a fat mis-shapen ankle which can make boots tricky. For trainers I always end up getting mens (at the running shop on Saturday they actually had more womens 9s than mens 9s for the first time ever, but I ended up getting mens because they gave me more width). I still rely on Evans quite a lot.

I really hoped that my feet would get smaller as I lost, and I do thin that they might have done a little. I can sometimes fit in shoes from normal shops now which makes me so happy.

My main problem now is that if I get Evans boots they fit my feet but gape horribly round my calves. Still, at least it makes me feel good about my calves
same for me I get slouch boots then at least it doesn't matter if they are lose of the calf. Its such a pain though.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #7  

http://www.zappos.com has shoes up to 7E.
honey-dipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:24 AM   #8  

Thanks for that, they don't ship to the UK though, so not much good to us on this side of the pond!!!! They only post within the US and to military addresses.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:24 PM   #9  
Heather/Caterpillar

Might be totally inappropriate but how about drag queen supplier type shops...they have some lovely shoes designed for men who have wider feet. I have a friend who has super wide feet and she has been able to get some really cool shoes and boots from that type of shop...do a UK Google search for them...
Heva2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:29 PM   #10  

I have been buying shoes from Evans but sadly for you, Impossible Princess, I think they start from size 4. Marks do some wide fit but I do not find they fit as well as the Evans ones.

Someone else said Clarks do a K range but said they haven't found them particularly wide.

There are companies like SHoetailor tho they may be a bit old fashioned. Dunno try to do a google for them.
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:24 PM   #11  

yeah Evans do start at a 4. i can wear some ok but if they don't have a strap I have to have an insole.

Clarks wider range are pretty rubbish i've found they no where near fit me, also they are more old fashioned.

I've just ordered a pair from shoetailor actually had to go for a 4 again but we'll see when they arrive what they are like. I've had EE from them before and it was too tight but trying it again.

As for drag queen shoes I wouldn't mind if they were nice but again its the problem of being a size 3. Men aren't size 3 usually its so annoying.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:45 PM   #12  
Heather/Caterpillar

How about Torrid in the US? They start at a size 6 US size which in women's shoes is a 3.5 UK size. Their shoes tend to be wider, they have nice stuff and they ship to the UK. If you ask on the message board there is often a discount code available too. They do some lovely plus size clothes too. I used to work there in Florida and the stuff isn't too expensive with the conversion rate right now.
www.torrid.com
Heva2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Same problem except my feet are smaller than yours - I'm just a 3 (more like a 2.5). It drives me mad - Next are no where near wide enough, and I just dont tend to like a lot of the M & S ones.

Will be watching this thread with interest to see if any other suggestions come up.
Artemis__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #14  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

My feet did "lose weight" and I have been able to find shoes that fit now. But........I still can't wear the vaaast majority of shoes because my feet are soooo sensitive. I get huge cuts on my feet from wearing perfectly ordinary dress shoes (or any other type of shoe) it isn't that the shoe is too small or ill-fitting, it is that my feet are horribly thin-skinned.

(Sorry.......I just HAD to get that off my chest. I can't offer any help or advice, just commiserations.)
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:12 PM   #15  
Working on Hot!

S/C/G: 242/225/175

I have been lurking too....

I got new shoes at chistmas and walk 1.5 to 2 miles a day...my feet are killing me I hate to breaking in new shoes....I have a big foot and its really hard for me to find a shoe that fits good.I feel your pain belive me I do
la3y_un1c0rn_37 is offline   Reply With Quote