Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #1  

Question I joined a gym! ... now what?

I just joined the gym and I love it. I have been doing videos at home for awhile now because I was too self-conscious to be jogging in front of others. But... a few of my friends from work and I decided to join because of a special they were running. I have been going for the past few days and I love it, much better than at home, so many more options.

Anyway! This may be kind of silly but now that I have joined the gym, what do I do there?

I love doing the ellipticals, I do those for about 45-60 minutes each time I go and I like doing some weight training but when I go to use the machines there are just so many. I don't know where to start, what to use for what and how to use them properly. I thought about getting a personal trainer, but honestly, it is a little bit out of my price range.

Does anyone have any suggestions about fitness routines or links to build a work out and how to do moves properly? Should I do cardio or weight lifting first? For weight loss, how often and how long should I be going? How many reps should I be doing and how should I rotate through muscle groups?

Wow, that's a bit of an overload of questions. Thanks for your help!
lucky_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default Things to do at the gym

I just started too! At my gym, if you ask, they can schedule an appt to have someone show you how to use those machines (mini personal trainer session) for free. I can't afford the real sessions either. They probably do this to avoid injury. You can also check out your aerobics. I just took my first butt and gut class. That was an INTENSE workout, but doable. I had to take 20-30 sec pauses occasionally because I'm not in good shape. I didn't feel too bad though because there was a bulked up dude in there that was straining. If you don't use those muscles, it doesn't matter how strong you are! I also like water aerobics. I find those so much easier to do. I struggled with the other class because I couldn't do a proper sit up (my neck was hurting too bad. I'm thinking of investing in a mat that has a bar on it and a neck support to help with that. Mostly I want to play with different classes, different machines, ask to show me the weights, etc. The more varied the better for me. I started out on the bicycles because it was the only thing that left my hands free to read a magazine or play games on my cell. I was a little bored. In aerobics class I don't have time to be bored

I'm still struggling with WANTING to go. I'm new. It takes time to develop a habit. We also have a pool and racketball court, but I doubt I'll use them.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Starting out, I did aerobics (elliptical) 3x/week and strength training 2x/week.

For strength training, there are several good books available. Two of my favorites are "Body For Life" and "Weight Training For Dummies". Both have lots of pictures & lots of advice. I've seen the recommendation that you should not train the same body part within 48 hours. If you do a whole body workout, then just take at least a day off between sessions. Or, you can do legs one day and arms the next.

You probably should also train your core -- abs and back muscles. Some ways to do this include crunches, ab machines, pilates, yoga, etc...

For aerobics, it's recommended that you train at 65-80% of your heart rate at least 20 minutes. You should also warm up and cool down. I usually just hit the "cool down" button on whatever cardio machine I'm using.

Finally, you should stretch after you're warmed up (for instance, at the end of your workout).

I recommend trying to do at least one session with a trainer so that you can make sure you're doing your weight lifting properly. Sometimes they have strength training classes you can do also.

Good luck & I hope this helps .
elmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:18 PM   #4  

Most gyms offer 1 or 2 free sessions with a personal trainer. I would start there and have them tell you what you need to do.
yipeiokyay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:14 AM   #5  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

agreed with above about the trainer---once I tried one of thsoe chest presser machines at a gym w/o knowing how to really use it... and clanged the 2 metal beams on the sides of my head

I would also recommend switching it up so you're working your entire body and so that you get enough variety to be not too bored and sick of the gym.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:38 AM   #6  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking

For more information on starting a weight training programs with machines, I found a great website with lot's of great information. They even have video clips showing you how to use the machines.

http://www.ballyfitness.com/rapid_re...ages/begin.asp
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:41 PM   #7  

Warning! WArning! Do not use the towels offered to u by the gym. The towels are the most dirty thing in the gym. I saw this maybe 3 months or more ago on one of the late news shows - 60 min, 20/20, Dateline, I can't recall but it was one of the main three. Take ur own towels. They say that u can find just about anything on these towels at the gym cause they don't wash them properly, which I believe too be true. I always used to take my own towel and water bottle. Good thing!
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/247/130

I have also recently gotten into working out, I have an appt with one of the trainers at the Y next week to show me around but what I have been doing is I go in do a 20 min walk on the treadmill like a warm up, then I hit the Quick Fit room which is like Curves and I work out there for 30 mins. This gives me both cardio and weight training. I don't dare go into the big work out room, those flat butt ladies kinda intimidate me! LOL! But I will gradually over come this and I wil enter that room at my own pace!
LaurieM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #9  

Here is a great website on weight training
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

she give a LOT of great form tips.

Try and take some of the classes that your gym has, then you will know if there are other things you like.
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote