Old 01-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Ten Years Younger In 10 Hours - Callanetics

Did anyone ever try Callanetics (Ten years younger in ten hours. Callan Pinckney)?

Its exercise for people like me, with a bad back/spine. Its a series of small gentle movements that tighten your body and strengthen your muscles.

Time to dust off my VHS and start doing them again
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #2  
prepare for the BEST time

(I was thinking that this sounds like a commercial for a new mositurizer)

Describe some of the movements if you could please---it would probably help me as I've been sedentary from my fracture.....my muscles are sooo tight and I've been lazy about Pilates.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:36 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Its gentle movements that are not hard, just time consuming b/c its slow and gentle, there's no jerking your body around.

The exercises are basically series of deep tissue stretching and tightening; all done very slowly and in a relaxed environment.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

double post
MaWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #5  

The exercises remind me of a combination of ballet, yoga, and pilates. Lots of isometric exercises, everything low inpact and gentle on the spine and joints.
MaWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:46 PM   #6  
resident lactivist

I love it. Hurts like heck the next day, though. I got the book off of Amazon & was very glad to read the author has scoliosis like I do. That said; I still have back pain with some of the exercises; I need to review the section on subsitutes for them. I also have a book on the Lotte Berk method (Lotte Berk taught Callan Pinckney) and have come up with a sort of hybrid of the two.

I certainly didn't get 10 years younger (which is a good thing, probably, as I was 24 most of the time I was doing 'em ), but I definitely felt them doing something. It took me a good five days to recover after the first time I did it.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 187/187/135

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Abs-solutely!

I love, love, love Callenetics! Just ordered the super DVD. Years ago, when I had no desire to exercise, I was able to work out 3-4/week with very satisfactory results.

Hoping that making them a part of my routine will compliment weight training. I would encourage anyone, particularly if they suffer from back problems, to give Callanetics a try.

Jean
Ready2BThinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:31 PM   #8  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I'd forgotten all about them until I saw this post. When I was living in Denmark a few years ago they were very popular there and I did them with a friend everyday. They worked!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #9  

I did Callanetics via the 1st book, I guess when I was in jr. high school. Jr, High, I know! I was so fascinated by Callan Pinckney. Anyway, I remember loving it, mainly because it didn't involve running or jumping jacks! No sweating was a big deal when you're 13.

I recently snagged a copy, some 18 yrs later, at Half Price Books for $1. I've only used it once, but I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has used it as an adult. How well does it work? After the one time, I wasn't as sore as I thought and unlike when I was 13, I don't have an hour a day to dedicate to it.

Has anyone done the modified version also in the book and seen results? I'm also in a running club, which requires I run 5 days a week, so I don't have a lot of extra time to add to my workout. I need to do something, firming-wise to complement my cardio.

Anyone have input as to the effectiveness of Callanetics over Winsor Pilates?
txlawchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:23 PM   #10  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlawchic
Anyone have input as to the effectiveness of Callanetics over Winsor Pilates?
I just started Winsor so I don't know. I only did the Callanetics for about 3 months years ago. So not long term. 1 hour a day. I was also riding a bike everywhere I went. (It was Denmark...that's totally normal!) Just curious though, do you do Winsor Pilates? Like I mentioned I just started and I'm very impressed. Hope to stick to it.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #11  
Gina

S/C/G: 223/199/150

Smile Will know soon...

I ordered the Callanetics tape last week, should get it soon, and am looking forward to seeing how it works. I 've read SOOO many great reviews of it. I am also doing about 2 days at the gym/week (elliptical mainly and weights) and have again taken up my TAEBO, but wanted to try something new .Will post again after I get a chance to try it out!
gigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:35 AM   #12  

i hvae done rosemary conley's exercise program. not sure if that is callinetics or calisthenics but from what i read i think it is similar to what you described. i found it surprisingly effective but it is many years since i've done it and i've lost mylittle book of exercises. it didn't take long to do and involved isometrics and i'd often feel sore the next day yet it didn't seem i'd one much

mind you i am a wuss everything hurts
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:28 PM   #13  
210 / 193 / 140

I did Callanetics for a while, oh, back in the 80's when the book first came out. I thought some of the exercises were excellent, and they really seemed to work. But some were just really hard on my knees, despite the author's vigourous claims that the routine would not harm anyone's knees.

As I recall, the book claims that you must do ALL of the exercises in the PRECISE order listed. Nonsense. I did what I could, left out the rest, and still saw some improvements in my strength and appearance. So if all or part of the program works for you, go for it.
Margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:29 PM   #14  
here I go again...

Hehe...I can remember doing callanetics (video) alongside my mom after she had my little sister. I found the tape again when I was in high school and did it a few times. You can really feel it afterwards. The moves are small but very precise. Not fast or jerky like so many exercise activities tend to be... I would suggest it for anyone with joint or back problems. Go for it!

PS. I LOVED "Are you Being Served?"... but it isn't on anymore here...
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #15  

I would like to try a callentics DVD but cannot find one to buy in the UK - can anyone help?
Also as an alternative, has any one tried PSYCHOCALISTHENICS, mantioned by Patrick Holford. It seems to be similar, I am not sure which to choose? Thanks
happysunflower is offline   Reply With Quote