PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #1  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

Talking A little skeeeeered :) Advice needed!

Hi girls I've been lurking in this sub forum for quite a while because I've had all of the same pcos symptoms since I was 16. I've finally got up the nerve to go to a gyno regarding my symptoms and hope that he can tell me if it pcos. I'm a clinic nurse so I'm going to a doctor in another town because it would be so humiliating to tell the doctors I work for about my facial hair, body hair, abnormal periods, etc, etc.

So how do you think I should go about it? Should I just say "hey, I think I have pcos!" or should I just give him all the symptoms? Also, both of my girls (ages 3 and 11) have a lot of hair growth on their backs and legs, should I worry about them yet or just take it one step at a time??

One more question. It looks like most of you have been given metformin. Has this caused anyone to GAIN weight, that you know of??

I'm not so concerned about the abnormal periods because it's been that way my whole life, but I think I'm ready to face the problem of excess hair which has been my 'big secret' for over 10 years now. I've only told one person in my whole life that I had it and she had no idea what I was talking about.

Has anyone gone through that, where it's SO EMBARRASING that you don't even want a doctor to know??

Thanks so much for reading this, it's nice to have a place to safely talk about something which I've always tried to keep hidden.

Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:26 AM   #2  
250/ticker/160

29 reads and no replies

Going in today....everything will work out
Old 01-06-2006, 09:15 AM   #3  

Default There may be hope

I don't personally have pcos, but a couple of the girls in our playgroup have it. One has extreme excess hair growth. And since she has been diagnosed with a disorder that causes the hair growth, he DR. wrote her a referral to the insurance company, explaining that laser hair removal would be in the patients best interest. So her insurance company is going to pay for the treatments.

Going to the DR. is the first step in solving the probelm. I know not all insurance companies are the same, but it's worth looking into.
tat2missyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 227/209/145

Hello. I have PCOS and IR. I think you should do a little research on the 'net and on www.soulcysters.net to see if you can find a dr in your area that has an interest PCO. That's what I did. I found a GREAT endocrinologist who has helped me tremendously. I went to 2 ob/gyns but they didn't give me a lot of info. good luck to you and I hope that you don't have PCO. But if you do, check out www.soulcysters.net. There is a boat load of info and you can chat on the message board too. HTH!!
sunkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #5  
250/ticker/160

THANK YOU girls!!! Thanks so this spectacular forum I finally figured out what was wrong with me and when I went to the Dr. today I actually started bawling because it's like all the symptoms have always been my deep dark secret and I let it all out. Anyway, he was totally AWESOME! He said there's no way I had to have lab, that I was a classic case of PCOS and he prescribed YASMIN and said that it helps with all of the symptoms and has no male hormone in it which is a plus since I have too much already

anyway, thanks again, and I will DEFINITELY be visiting the forum you mentioned

Lacey