Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:11 PM   #1  
Winning is losing

Default Weight Loss/Hair Loss

Has anyone else noticed a significant amount of hair loss as a result of weight loss?

I'm starting to get concerned. My hair is falling out and FAST. I used to have long thick hair. Now it's still long but it's incredibly thin. I do not want to go bald just to be thin. I don't want to have to choose between the worse of 2 evils.

I eat about 40 grams of protein a day. I take a multi-vitamin. If anyone else has experienced this or knows why I might be losing my hair, please tell. I want it to stop
Im A Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #2  

Ok well to start with see a doctor if theres a problem with vit levels due to your diet or anaemia they can do blood tests and check that for you. Dieting can affect all sorts so it is a possiblility. I get alopecia and I had blood tests to check thyroid function, iron and glucose levels I also had urine tested.

So yes it could possibly be diet sometimes it can cause a shock to the body but it might not be.
Have you been stressed recently (within last 2-3 months because it normally takes a while to have effect on the hair sometimes) or had any kind of hormone change? Changed pill anything like that. Also is it thinning all over or falling out in patches?

Mine fell out in patches just in shower and loads of hair came out in my hands never been so scared in my life. I'm pretty sure mine was the pill I'd just changed brands and the new one made me very stressed and hormonal. Doctor is still adamant this isn't the case but 7 months on and I've been off that pill 5 and its pretty much all started growing back all though I'm quite a bit thinner up top than I was I used to have the thickest hair ever.

Def go to the doctor they gave me a steroid cream which seemed to limit further loss. They should look at your diet for you and discuss whether it could be that and at least get you started with blood tests and if the hair loss is really noticable then refer you to a derm.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #3  
Mel

How is your intake of healthy fats? If you are following a low fat diet, that could be part of your problem. I aim for about 20-25% of my caloric intake to be from healthy fats such as olive oil, natural peanut butter, other nuts, etc.

40 grams of protein is actually fairly low if you are active. That means that you are getting only about 360 calories from protein. Even if you are on an extremely low calorie diet of around 1100 calories, that's only 30% of your daily intake.

I've had hair loss at various times: when I wasn't eating enough fats, when I lost weight quickly, after giving birth (perfectly normal then), when my thyroid swung wildly betweeh hyper and hypo. There are lots of possible reasons. If you are dating a balanced diet, I'd see your doc. Good luck!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote