Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-14-2005, 10:58 AM   #1  

Wink Shin Splints and Treadmills

Hello,

I really would like to work out more on the treadmill because I feel like I can push myself harder on it...however, I get really bad shin splints to where my legs bruise all along the shins from running .

I have been trying to do warm up at 3.5 and then one minute at 8, then between 5 and 8 for one minute each. I can only go at this pace for 8-10 minutes before my shins bother me, then I have to switch to the eliptical or bike.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making shinsplints go away or more tolerable?: Gel inserts maybe?

layners7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:04 AM   #2  
*meow*

Height: 5'7"

I need shin splint help too!!! Thanks for posting...

~jess~
JLynne126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:05 AM   #3  
Egy Kis Lany

Yikes.
My only recomendation is to add stretching into any cardio.
After a brief, low-paced warm up, get off the tredmill and stretch.
Then when you're done with your workout, cool down at a low pace for a few minutes and then stretch *again* at the end.

Good luck, I hope that someone else has more helpful suggestions!
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:13 AM   #4  

I have the same problem, and I'm trying some stretches a runner/diet doctor suggested: Standing shoeless, go up on your toes 20 times. Then lift your toes 20 times. Repeat, working GRADUALLY up to 500 (!!) of each. I'm at 100, and haven't tried fast walking or running yet.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:13 AM   #5  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

I learned a good stretch for shin-splints when I played field hockey in high school. I'm sure it has an actual name, but I don't know what it is.

After your cool-down, find something that's about 3 - 4 inches tall. I like to use the base of one of the weight racks (in high school, we used a regular old curb on the street -- it's the perfectc height). Stand about 3 feet from the 3 - 4 inche object, place the BACK of your heel on the object, and lean forward at your waist. You'll feel the stretch in your calves, which is fine. I'm *fairly* certain shin splints are actually due to weakness in the "side"/supporting part of your calf muscles -- it's not actually your SHIN that has been strained. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that please .

It worked great for me back in my more athletic days.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:39 AM   #6  

Thanks guys! I will try these stretches.

I think that you are partially right on the "shin" splint thing. In High School, my doctor told me that it was due to the muscle actually pulling away from the shin and some people just get them really bad. (They thought that I had stress fractures because my legs got so bad in track season). They just really stink .

Thanks so much for your guys' help!
layners7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:56 PM   #7  
*meow*

Height: 5'7"

I thought shin splints were when the muscle seperates itself from the bone slightly. I used to get them ALL THE TIME in gymnastics. No stretching or warming up/cooling down has helped mine. I'm on the look-out for these sneaker inserts. Maybe they will save me.

~jess~
JLynne126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #8  
Scale Addict

I read a cure on cool running's website for shin splints

Stand on one leg with your arms and other leg out. Do this until you feel like you are going to fall and have to put your other leg down. Repeat with other leg. Do this as a stretching exercise before runs.

Another poster said sitting in a chair and doing something like 50 toe taps helped him.

Last edited by modemama; 12-19-2005 at 12:57 AM.
modemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:18 PM   #9  

There are actually 3 major causes of shin pain (aka "shin splints"). One of the possible causes is tibial stress fracture. You should probably see your doctor for a proper diagnosis, because treatment varies depending on cause.

Off the top of my head, you need to have your foot biomechanics (ie shoewear) checked and matched to your body size and gait type ie pronator etc... Proper shoe mechanics is key to preventing aggravating the injury. Depending on severity, you may need to change to non weight-bearing activities ie elliptical or water running temporarily. Then gradually increase the time and exertion level on the treadmill. Usually symptoms can be traced back to "too much/too soon" syndrome, all too common in my experience. You can't "run through" the pain, because in this case it will make the injury worse.

I see alot of injuries in runners, and the worst thing is that it can sometimes sideline physical activity and lead to frustration and discouragement if not assessed and treated properly. Good luck!
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:14 AM   #10  

Default Shin Splints

Hi Lane
I've been running on the tread mill for the last two years.

1.) The first thing you need to do is check are your shoes. When running, always run with running shoes and if you are just starting out have a reputable store fit you.(you don't have to buy from them but they can tell you the best shoes for your foot type.) Also be sure to replace them as often as necessary.

2.) Stretch prior to running. For your shins, do foot rotations clockwise, counter clockwise and up and down.Also do some toe raises. Do these before and after running. If you lift weights, you can stregthen your shins by placing a body bar on your instep and do toe lifts.

3) Your intervals are a little much. Start with tempo workouts.3.5 - 8 is a big jump. Try running the entire time after your warm up at 6- 6.5 until you build up.

Hope this helps. I love running and it is my favorite workout next to kickboxing
J111 is offline   Reply With Quote