Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-14-2005, 12:31 AM   #1  

Question New To Treadmill! Need Help..

I have lost 36 pounds just following the Canada Food Guide and drinking alot of water.I have 10 more pounds to go before I hit my goal weight of 125. I bought a treadmill last week and I was wondering whats the best way to start using it? Should I just use it untill Im comfortable, does anyone have a routine that they would recommend? I have been using it for a week now and have used it 4 times lastweek (im going to try 5 days a week Sunday - Thursday), and I average walking at a pace of 3.8mph and increase it to a run at 4.8 mph. I do the slower pace 3.8 for about 3 minutes then I run at 4.8 mph for 1-1/2 - 2 minutes and I continue like that . It has worked out that I on it for about 35-40 minutes. Does it sound like im doing the right thing? Any advice would be helpful!!
Thanks
Trina
almost there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:09 AM   #2  
Wife, Mom and Teacher

S/C/G: 223~211~150

Height: 5'3"

Thumbs up

WOW! I wish I could do that kind of pace for that amount of time! It sounds like you're doing great! I usually start at around 3.2 for a couple of minutes and then gradually increase it to 3.7 with short bursts of jogging at 4.2.

Make sure you do a warm-up and cool-down, even for just a minute or 2.

Keep up the great effort! Congrats on the weight loss!

Michele
Michele L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:01 AM   #3  

Congrats on the weight loss! I think that what you are doing sounds great. Just keep up what you are doing and increase it when you feel like you need to increase your speed. Your body will let you know!
layners7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:04 AM   #4  
Egy Kis Lany

Great!

To prevent muscle injuries, you might want to consider a walking-paced warm up for 5-10 minutes, then get off and stretch, kick your workout up a bit (add in the faster-paced walking and running just like you are now) and then, after a cooldown of slower walking at the end, get off and stretch your legs again.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:46 PM   #5  

I have to agree with PysDom on the warm up , at least 5min of regular walking (I do it at a 2mph pace) get off stretch really good then gor for whatever , and cooldown for 5min before I'm done and stretch really good again.......you can never stretch to much I think
okie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:17 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

I do a 5 minute warm-up, usually starting about 2.5 or 2.6 mph, increasing every minute til I'm up to 3.6, which is about as fast as my short legs will let me "walk." Then I do another 5 minutes there. Then for 15 minutes - on my best days - I do intervals of running 1-2 minutes at 4.8 or higher alternating with walking 2-3 minutes or however long it takes to breathe easier. I end with a 5 minute cool down, going down from 3.6 to 2.6 or so, decreasing every minute. I'll go longer at the slow pace if my heartrate isn't under 120 (or if what's on the gym TV is good ) My goal is to be able to run that whole middle 15 minutes and then work to increase that.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:23 PM   #7  

thanks ladies, i didnt even think about a warm up or stretching (see i told you i was new to this, ha) I appreciate all of your help.
almost there is offline   Reply With Quote