Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-09-2005, 07:52 PM   #1  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Default need support in finding a new p-doc

Hi everyone!

I am a bipolar lady who has just moved to a new state. I've been avoiding finding a new p-doc. Now my meds are running low... some of you probably know how the need for a new prescription is the best motivation for going to the doctor.

Anyway, I have spent the last three years being shuffled around by the teaching hospital where I used to go for treatment. (Outpatient at a hospital clinic, not committed. ) My old doctor sent me to the teaching hospital because my bipolar disorder is complicated (mixed state, rapid cycling, hard to treat the depression). He thought that doctors who had access to the latest research would be able to help me. He was right, but at the teaching hospital, they let residents treat patients. As a result, I've been seen by seven student-doctors over three years. I never developed a good relationship with any of them, because I would see them each for only six months until the next rotation.

I'm sick of telling my story to new doctors, re-hashing all the trouble I had getting treatment, being treated by somebody who doesn't know me but rather just reads a file before seeing me. So I'm not looking forward to finding a new doctor. I know that treatment is what allows me to lose weight, rather than gain a bunch of it due to emotional eating and lack of energy. So someone please kick me in the butt and keep me accountable for finding a new p-doc next week.

Thanks!
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:59 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

First Welcome

Second: Butt kicking started

I know what you mean about finding a GOOD new doctor. Its really hard but don't give up. Can you get copies of your records so you can give them to the doctor w/out having to spew your life store over and over ? I would keep copies for yourself this way if you decide to switch doctors again you have your records and can give the new guy/gal them.

Good luck hun, now get off your kester and MOVE IT !!!! you need your meds.

HUGS !!!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:55 AM   #3  
angst and eyeliner

S/C/G: 230/230/150

Height: 5' 3"

hey there. i just wanted to say hello and give you a firm nudge in the rear. go find an md! you need to be on those meds. i know it's hard to find a doc, especially a good one but bipolar d/o is nothing nice to play around with. i'm recently diagnosed myself; my primary care doctor is managing my meds for now because i've had to unexpectedly relocate to a new area and i don't have a therapist or a psychiatrist yet.

i think leenie had a great idea; keep copies of your medical records so you can have them and pass them on to your new practitioners. i'm keeping a file of my current meds, psychotropics used and to what effect and my mood charts on the computer; i print those suckers out and bring them to the md's appts. they appreciate having the information right in front of them and it allows us to spend more of the allotted time working on my problems instead of going over ancient history.

good luck to you!
isenephthys is offline   Reply With Quote