South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 01:21 AM   #1  
kpw

Default My new favorite veggies

I recently signed up for an organic produce delivery - one of the items was celery root, which I had never cooked with before. It's a root vegetable, with an acceptable glycemic index (a la parsnips - I checked, but there is no GI for it on the GI database - here's a blurb: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?p...isease&dbid=18) and it's YUMMY! Made some turkey soup with my leftover carcass and added diced celery root - tasted a lot like potatoes, but slightly sweeter - hubby who HATES parsnips/turnips loved the celery root. Also have had them mashed with a bit of pear added, with chicken stock. Very, very good - try it! I can't wait to experiment with different cooking methods.

Also recently have been a big fan of 'broccoli slaw' (thanks, Ruth!). Shredded (mostly) broccoli/(little) carrots pre-packaged. I use it for a bunch of stuff:

Stir-fry - add thinly sliced onions, grated ginger and garlic, some soy sauce and quicly sautee in a bit of peanut oil. Excellent as a side-dish, or as a bed of 'noodles' for other stir-fry. Have also added: mushrooms (thinly sliced), red peppers and bean sprouts.

Slaw: I make a slaw with an asian peanut-sauce (I think I posted the peanut sauce on the fondue post a while back) - I thin that out with some water/broth & rice vinegar (unsweetened!) for a nice dressing - add red bell peppers. YUM!

-kpw - working extra hard this week to burn off those dreaded mashed potatoes I couldn't avoid making (or eating!)
Old 11-29-2005, 05:26 AM   #2  
Who needs sleep?

That's great, that you can get a nice variety of organic vegs delivered to you! Especially if it includes new ones - ones you probably wouldn't choose to buy since you've never tried them, but when they are delivered to you without you having the chance to say "no thanks" you try them as opposed to wasting them.

I admit I haven't tried celery root. DH hates celery, and anything that tastes like celery, and turnips, rutabegas, kohlrabi, and anything similar. I'm pretty sure I'd like it, but it's not worth it to try to get him to taste it.

Myself, I love almost all vegs. I dislike beets (always have), parsnips, LIma beans, summer squash, and English (shelling) peas, but I think that's about it.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:43 PM   #3  
kpw

You know, I'm not a big lima bean fan myself either- I recently started using shelled edamame beans in things like soups and vegetable medleys that usually call for lima beans, and they're pretty yummy.

The produce delivery places are getting pretty popular - you never know when they might show up your area.

Keep eating those veggies chickies!
Closed Thread