General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 03:57 PM   #1  

Default acne question

I have acne that is more like a rash on my nose and cheek area near my nose. It flares up at times and I use medicine that is a topical steriod base, which helps but can't stop the flare up. I also do get a rash after shaving. I was thinking of trying Proactive system or Clear Skin (with a added moisturizer). Has anyone tried these? I wonder if these would even help my type of acne. I really, really need some help here!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:24 PM   #2  
*meow*

Height: 5'7"

I use Proactive. It took a while for it to really kick in and prevent my breakouts. But I immediately noticed a difference in my skin tone and texture. I highly recommend giving it a try.

~jess~
Old 11-16-2005, 04:38 PM   #3  

The only thing I have found that helps is Noxema. My friends daughter's doctor prescribed meds for her acne. I guess the meds work a little... but not much from what I have seen and heard. I have tried Clearskin, also tried the same thing as proactive (but sold on the store shelves), and read about proactive (my friends daughter used it as well) and found it to be a waste of money. Best thing for the money I have found is Noxema.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:59 PM   #4  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Exclamation Acne question

Here's what worked for me (I am 38 and have had problems with acne all of my teenage years through adult life until the last year or so when I finally found a remedy that helped.)

I started using Head and Shoulders shampoo (my hair is oily so it had never occurred to me to use this). It has zinc in it, which really helps to kill of the bacteria. My face was breaking out in part because of my hair being oily.

I also stared using Proactive and it is great (but the shampoo helped more than anything really!).

You could also have a zinc deficiency in general - this is personal, so don't answer, but if you have problems with excessive sweating/stinky armpits that aren't controlled by regular deodorant or oily skin, it can be a classic sign of zinc deficiency. (I even wash my underarms with Head & Shoulders - that's probably too much info, but anyway...)

Do you have a diagnosis of rosacea? Is that why the topical steroids?

I highly recommend Head & Shoulders, Proactive and zinc as an unbeatable combination!!! Best of luck to you!
Old 11-16-2005, 06:47 PM   #5  
At it again

S/C/G: 166/160/140

Height: 5'4

I like Proactiv, but that stuff is kind of exspensive. I bought the knock-off brand (Acne Free I think) at Wal_Mart and I really don't like it. It smells horrible.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:46 PM   #6  

Well I had an awesome reply!!! But for some reason this site ate it and didn't post it.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:22 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by icmethinner
Here's what worked for me (I am 38 and have had problems with acne all of my teenage years through adult life until the last year or so when I finally found a remedy that helped.)

I started using Head and Shoulders shampoo (my hair is oily so it had never occurred to me to use this). It has zinc in it, which really helps to kill of the bacteria. My face was breaking out in part because of my hair being oily.

I also stared using Proactive and it is great (but the shampoo helped more than anything really!).

You could also have a zinc deficiency in general - this is personal, so don't answer, but if you have problems with excessive sweating/stinky armpits that aren't controlled by regular deodorant or oily skin, it can be a classic sign of zinc deficiency. (I even wash my underarms with Head & Shoulders - that's probably too much info, but anyway...)

Do you have a diagnosis of rosacea? Is that why the topical steroids?

I highly recommend Head & Shoulders, Proactive and zinc as an unbeatable combination!!! Best of luck to you!
Some good information...thanks....
Old 11-17-2005, 03:05 AM   #8  

I did go to more than one dermotologist and the first two didn't know a thing. The last ended up giving me something called Desowen, which is steriod based. I don't recall if he said I had a specific type of acne. The visits happened when I was like 14. Long time ago. Anyway, I do also have dandruff which sucks but it may or may not have an effect on my face. NOt sure. If this helps, I could use some sound advice.
Closed Thread