100 lb. Club - Worrying......

View Full Version : Worrying......

glynne
09-22-2005, 11:52 AM
My kids are in Houston with hurricane Rita headed their way ~ son Jason, daughter Sara and her husband Robert and their little boy Corbin, and Robert's family. I am scared for them ~ worrying about them, and worrying that I will not be able to get a hold of them to know if they are ok or not. Praying and praying lots......

Jillegal
09-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Oh Glynne, I'd be sick with worry, too! :grouphug: Do they have any plans to evacuate? Mustering up all my good vibes for everyone's safety and that you can be in touch with them through it all (thank goodness for cell phones!)

lucky
09-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Is it possible to touch base with them now? If you can find out where they expect to be during and after Rita hits you may have better luck making a plan for them to contact you after the fact - or for you to find them.
If Katrina is any indicator you can expect cell phones to be useless for a few hours. Our towers were up and running very quickly but the call traffic was huge which made it difficult getting a call through.

Star
09-22-2005, 01:17 PM
My SIL is in the Gallaria area in a high rise. They tried to leave yesterday but the freeways are so bad they got stuck for 4 hours and just went back home. they are now talking about directing the freeways all in the out direction so more people can leave. I got her on her cell phone...she said she would get back with me.

famograham
09-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Sending all my love, prayers and positive thoughts to EVERYONE in the threatened area. This whole thing is just too much to bear. No one deserves this.

Gayle, I hope with all my heart that you hear from your family soon, and that they are safe and sound...and OUT of the area!

xoxoxo
Linda

boiaby
09-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Oh Gayle, I'm sending you and your family my love right now! I know you must be worried sick. Please just hang in there, you will hear from them soon, and let us know as soon as you get any details. I am so ready for this hurricane season to be over! Enough already, let these poor folks have a little peace and security! My thoughts are with you Gayle, be strong!

Beverly

barbygirl43
09-22-2005, 02:40 PM
Oh Gayle, I hope they are safe and able to evacuate. Keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Sheila53
09-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Oh, Gayle, how scary! I hope that they contact you soon and let you know that they are safely out of the way. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

ChocLabLover
09-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Thoughts and prayers to all the people that are in the area!

mezmerize
09-22-2005, 03:39 PM
This is so scary were you able to get in contact with them? I glad they opened the roads for more ppl. They are showing the traffic and it's horrible! My prayers are with everyone there!

Jenaya
09-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Gayle,
Thanks for posting. We will surround you all with our prayers.

DeterminedInGA
09-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Gayle, I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers. I've been watching the news and while it is still bad they have at least opened up both sides of the freeways for north bound traffic so maybe that will help a bit.

RealCdn
09-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Gayle and Star - I hope all your family gets out safe. I've only ever experienced the tail end of a hurricane (in the Bahamas decades ago) and it was pretty scary stuff.

Anne

irishgreengables
09-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Any news on your family? Did they finally get out?

Star
09-23-2005, 08:29 AM
It is 8:27 a.m. here that makes it 7:27 a.m. in Texas. In a couple hours I will call my friend there who is staying in Houston, becuz getting out became impossible, due to traffic and gas shortage. Unless something changed last night.....
Also will call my SIL that is still there.

Sandi
09-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Yikes. :angel: Prayers :angel: going out to everyone who has loved ones in danger.

Any updates??

Star
09-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Just talked to my friend in Katy Texas - (suburb of Houston). Since the hurricane is now looking like it will hit Beaumont, Tx, they aren't leaving. She said none of her neighbors are leaving either. She said the freeways are one big parking lot. Also a bus with seniors on it exploded on the freeway and about 20 died.
Still waiting to hear from DSIL, but since she lives in a high rise in the Gallria downtown area I have no idea how she will be able to go anywhere at this point.

boiaby
09-24-2005, 07:50 AM
Any news yet Gayle?? I'm thinking about you and your family. :crossed: :grouphug:

Beverly

famograham
09-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Me too....
Please do let us know when you've heard from them, OK?

Sending all my love and prayers,
Linda

newfiedarling
09-26-2005, 08:47 AM
Hi Gayle, sorry I'm a little late to this thread. I've been thinking about the families that are being affected by this storm and am keeping eveyone in my thoughts. Have you heard anything from your family?

~Dee

glynne
09-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I have been away and have been able to check on them, but have not had access to a computer to let you all know. They are ok!! I am so thankful. They thought about leaving, but the traffic was so awful, they just decided to stay put. They had some high winds and the power was out for a little while, but thankfully nothing bad happened. We were able to check in with them everyday ~ most every day, the weather was beautiful ~ making it hard to feel like any bad weather was happening so nearby. I am so glad they are ok, and feel so badly for those poor people who had to endure the hurricane this time or for the second time. I hope there are no more ~ those poor people have had more than enough.

My son was telling that one evening, they went to somewhere where there was a bridge over the interstate there was a sea of cars ~ headlights as far as the eye could see ~ both ways.

Star ~ have you heard from your family yet? Anyone else with family there ~ are they ok?

Thoughts and prayers for them also.

Jillegal
09-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Glad to know your loved ones are safe, Gayle. :)

famograham
09-26-2005, 11:25 PM
PHEW!!!
Me too!

Linda